Celebrate Darwin's birthday Thursday

Skeptik

Astute observer
Oct 19, 2008
The late great Bear Flag Republic
We celebrate the 12th. of February as Lincoln's birthday, but he also shares the date with another man of equal influence in another field, Charles Darwin.

Darwin 200 years later: Evolution by selection of quotations

"If I were to give an award for the single best idea anyone ever had, I'd give it to Darwin." So wrote philosopher Daniel Dennett in his 1995 book Darwin's Dangerous Idea. "In a single stroke, the idea of evolution by natural selection unifies the realm of life, meaning and purpose with the realm of space and time, cause and effect, mechanism and physical law."

So it did. Darwin is in a class with Copernicus, with Einstein, in short, with the great scientific thinkers of the ages.

As the years go by, Darwin's theories grow weaker and less relevant

Failed science, did ya?
Nope, passed just fine with an A

But then again, Darwinism isn't really science. Just a quack theory that feeble minded people accept.

"In 1986, an amicus curiae brief in the case Edwards v. Aguillard was signed by 72 US Nobel Prize winners, 17 state academies of science and 7 other scientific societies. The amicus curiae brief described why evolution was science and why creationism is not science."

"James McCarter of Divergence Incorporated states that the work of 2001 Nobel Prize winner Leland Hartwell which has substantial implications for combating cancer relied heavily the use of evolutionary knowledge and predictions. McCarter points out that 47 of the last 50 Nobel Prizes in medicine or physiology also depended on the use of evolutionary theory."

"In 2007 the Discovery Institute reported that about 600 scientists signed their A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism list. By contrast, a tongue-in-cheek response known as Project Steve, a list of scientists named Steve who agree that evolution is "a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences," has 868 Steves as of March 18, 2008. People named Steve make up approximately 1% of the total U.S. population.

"The United States National Science Foundation statistics on US yearly science graduates demonstrate that from 1987 to 2001, the number of biological science graduates increased by 59% while the number of geological science graduates decreased by 20.5%. However, the number of geology graduates in 2001 was only 5.4% of the number of graduates in the biological sciences, while it was 10.7% of the number of biological science graduates in 1987.[131] The Science Resources Statistics Division of the National Science Foundation estimated that in 1999, there were 955,300 biological scientists in the US (about 1/3 of who hold graduate degrees). There were also 152,800 earth scientists in the US as well.[132

Therefore, the 600 Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.054% of the estimated 1,108,100 biological and geological scientists in the US in 1999. In addition, a large fraction of the Darwin Dissenters have specialties unrelated to research on evolution; of the dissenters, three-quarters are not biologists.[133] Therefore, the roughly 150 biologist Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.0157% of the US biologists that existed in 1999. "

It's amazing we're not still using leeches and casting out demons with all of these "feeble-minded" biologists wandering around this country.:lol:

Funny thing, Darwin's best theories were not even on evolution, it's just because of the controversy that evolution made him famous. Good going creationists ... you made him famous for only one thing.

Last edited:
I got the Darwin Day festivities all planned out.

We're going to play Find the Missing Link which is always a hoot.

To play just buy two single links of chain at the hardware store. Set them 18 inches apart. Now tell everyone you hid the other links all around the neighborhood. The last player to discover the links don't exits loses.

If time permits we'll play:

Pin-the-tail-on-your-ancestor

I'll-be-a-monkey's-uncle-or-vice-versa.

A barrel of cousins.

And a prehistoric fish pinata, but you can't hit it with a stick (That would be like slappin' your Grandma!). You just walk around it chanting "Evolve...evolve...evolve..." and hope something good comes out.

Last edited:
Celebrate Darwin's birthday Thursday

Darwin was one of the world's greatest minds. Discover Magazine has a great set of articles about evolution:

DISCOVER Does Darwin: Special Section on Evolution | Evolution | DISCOVER Magazine

Unfortunately, there are still scientists who believe that humans stopped evolving 50,000 years ago. We must put an end to this 'politically correct' nonsense. All men are NOT created equal.

Not stopped but slowed. Our increasing usage of tools has slowed it because the basis of the evolutionary process requires there is a struggle for survival. Without that struggle we cannot evolve because then nature thinks we are perfect already. 50,000 years ago is a really stupid time to use though, since we did have a few minor evolutionary changes during the times we did not have such a dependence on tools.

We celebrate the 12th. of February as Lincoln's birthday, but he also shares the date with another man of equal influence in another field, Charles Darwin.

"If I were to give an award for the single best idea anyone ever had, I'd give it to Darwin." So wrote philosopher Daniel Dennett in his 1995 book Darwin's Dangerous Idea. "In a single stroke, the idea of evolution by natural selection unifies the realm of life, meaning and purpose with the realm of space and time, cause and effect, mechanism and physical law."

So it did. Darwin is in a class with Copernicus, with Einstein, in short, with the great scientific thinkers of the ages.

You have got to be kidding me. The man who said we evolved from Apes!!.
Well sir, you white people may have descended from Ape like creatures, but I and
other Blacks were created by the One true God.

give an award to the People who are trying to bring "Intelligent design" into the public and
private schools.
Charles Darwin only left us with an unproven theory.And that theory has many gaps
and unanswered questions.

I accept intelligent design only.Not any Ape, or Monkey gene descendent theory.!

You have got to be kidding me. The man who said we evolved from Apes!!.
Well sir, you white people may have descended from Ape like creatures, but I and
other Blacks were created by the One true God.

give an award to the People who are trying to bring "Intelligent design" into the public and
private schools.
Charles Darwin only left us with an unproven theory.And that theory has many gaps
and unanswered questions.

I accept intelligent design only.Not any Ape, or Monkey gene descendent theory.!

Allah is no more true than the christian one.

Therefore, the 600 Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.054% of the estimated 1,108,100 biological and geological scientists in the US in 1999. In addition, a large fraction of the Darwin Dissenters have specialties unrelated to research on evolution; of the dissenters, three-quarters are not biologists.[133] Therefore, the roughly 150 biologist Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.0157% of the US biologists that existed in 1999. "[/COLOR]

I had a debate with a creationist and he kept quoting the usual creationist claptrap from a doctor and I did a little digging and found out the "expert" was a friggin foot doctor.

As the years go by, Darwin's theories grow weaker and less relevant

They become stronger and much more closer to the truth than the dogma of religion. I remember a guy on campus back in my college days was handing out fliers and I decided to read it. The flier stated that the earth wasn't old and the dinosaurs were a great conspiracy by non-believers in control of the government. There was no proof, rather the great religious argument of "Just trust me. I can't explain it, but trust me." Sorry bud I rather believe in rationale rather than folklore!

I would say that as time goes on religion esp Islam get exposed for what they are folklore, myth and well idiocy! Eventually the Abrahamic religions will go the way of Zeus, Apollo, Mercury, Hades etc. remembered in history as nonsense!

Forum List

Back