CDC: Guns Save Lives

Narrative Fail.

Study from a few years ago, funny how the left ignores science and goes with emotions.

Majority of gun related deaths are from suicide. And as I posted in another thread, psychologists are saying the dramatic increase in suicides is due to people not having God in their lives and feeling their lives have no purpose.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ‘Important Crime Deterrent’

A study from 2013???

Here's some more recent news AND NO ONE is taking home based firearms for self-protection away from you morons....

Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research ? ProPublica

Quietly, Congress extends a ban on CDC research on gun violence ...
There has never been a ban on the CDC doing gun research.

The Dickey amendment states only that the CDC cannot use government funds to encourage gun control.

They can do the research and present the findings. In fact Obama signed an executive order and gave the CDC 10 million dollars to do just that.

Narrative Fail.

Study from a few years ago, funny how the left ignores science and goes with emotions.

Majority of gun related deaths are from suicide. And as I posted in another thread, psychologists are saying the dramatic increase in suicides is due to people not having God in their lives and feeling their lives have no purpose.

Guns take live, funny how some ignore reality.
Plastic forks, bathrooms, and buckets take lives too.

Why then do mass murderers not choose to use plastic forks, bathrooms and buckets in lieu of guns?

Because they use trucks, and gallons of gasoline to do their crimes. Both methods I list here have greater death numbers than any gun crime BTW.

Wow. If only trucks and gasoline didn't have any other uses besides killing people, we might have a great discussion.

So sad.

They do. So sad that you're so ignorant that you can't accept that fact.

Why then do mass murderers not choose to use plastic forks, bathrooms and buckets in lieu of guns?

Because they use trucks, and gallons of gasoline to do their crimes. Both methods I list here have greater death numbers than any gun crime BTW.

Wow. If only trucks and gasoline didn't have any other uses besides killing people, we might have a great discussion.

So sad.

Say what?

You gonna use that AR to hammer a mail or something?

Narrative Fail.

A study from 2013???

Here's some more recent news AND NO ONE is taking home based firearms for self-protection away from you morons....

Republicans Say No to CDC Gun Violence Research ? ProPublica

Quietly, Congress extends a ban on CDC research on gun violence ...
Here Gnat
https://www.appd.org/meetings/2017SpringPresentations/WS31HO4.pdf
Read the Dickey amendment and tell me where it says the CDC is banned from doing gun research.

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr4573/BILLS-115hr4573ih.pdf

To clarify that the Dickey Amendment does not prevent the use of funds for research on mental health, gun violence, and how they intersect, and to provide for reporting on the effects of gun violence.

Gun violence research was halted 20 years ago. Activists trying to ...
Gun violence research was halted 20 years ago. Activists trying to change that face an uphill battle
Mar 4, 2018 - While it didn't specifically ban research, it was enough of a roadblock that the CDC has done little on the topic since spending about $2.6 billion on firearms research the year before the Dickey Amendment went into effect. Congress has kept the measure in place the last two decades, even after Dickey ...

Congress Quashed Research Into Gun Violence. Since Then, 600,000 ...

Congress Quashed Research Into Gun Violence. Since Then, 600,000 People Have Been Shot.
Mar 12, 2018 - Congress then passed the Dickey Amendment in 1996, and cut funding that effectively ended the C.D.C.'s study of gun violence as a public health issue. ... government has largely abandoned efforts to learn why people shoot one another, or themselves, and what can be done to prevent gun violence.

So sad.

Say what?

You gonna use that AR to hammer a mail or something?

No, but I use mine for target practice, and hunting.

Gun violence research was halted 20 years ago. Activists trying to ...
Gun violence research was halted 20 years ago. Activists trying to change that face an uphill battle
Mar 4, 2018 - While it didn't specifically ban research, it was enough of a roadblock that the CDC has done little on the topic since spending about $2.6 billion on firearms research the year before the Dickey Amendment went into effect. Congress has kept the measure in place the last two decades, even after Dickey ...

Congress Quashed Research Into Gun Violence. Since Then, 600,000 ...

Congress Quashed Research Into Gun Violence. Since Then, 600,000 People Have Been Shot.
Mar 12, 2018 - Congress then passed the Dickey Amendment in 1996, and cut funding that effectively ended the C.D.C.'s study of gun violence as a public health issue. ... government has largely abandoned efforts to learn why people shoot one another, or themselves, and what can be done to prevent gun violence.

The CDC was NEVER BANNED FROM DOING GUN RESEARCH.

Never not for one minute.

To clarify that the Dickey Amendment does not prevent the use of funds for research on mental health, gun violence, and how they intersect, and to provide for reporting on the effects of gun violence.

CDC isn’t banned from studying gun violence; it’s just too scared to do its job | News | Dallas News

There's a common misconception that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is forbidden from studying gun violence. That's simply not true. A number of murky rules have left the agency unclear as to what it is and isn’t allowed to research when it comes to guns. But an outright ban? No.

So why doesn't the CDC study gun violence? To answer that, let's take a quick look at its history of gun research.

From 1986 to 1996, the CDC sponsored and carried out public health research on gun violence. In 1993, it funded a study by researchers at the University of Tennessee. The researchers found that "rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

The National Rifle Association didn't like that. It lobbied to get rid of the CDC's Center for National Injury Prevention, and while that didn't happen, it was successful in another sense. In 1996, Congress added a few lines to the Omnibus Appropriations Bill. They said: "None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control."

No one really knew what that meant. The addition was known as the Dickey Amendment after its author, Republican Arkansas lawmaker and lifetime NRA member Jay Dickey.

The Dickey Amendment didn't exactly ban research into gun violence, but it certainly had an impact. Just look at what happened next: Congress took the amount that the CDC had spent on researching gun violence in 1995 — about $2.6 million — from the CDC's budget and said that money should be spent studying something else.

When I worked at the CDC, I asked injury prevention researchers what the Dickey Amendment meant to them. They told me they were worried about hurting their careers and losing the center money if they continued to study gun violence. They shifted their research elsewhere.

Dickey eventually changed his mind about his namesake amendment. In a Washington Post op-ed in 2012, he referred to himself as the "NRA's point person in Congress" and said the amendment "sent a chilling message."

The op-ed was co-written by a former director of the CDC’s Center for National Injury Prevention. The pair wrote: "Since the [Dickey Amendment] passed in 1996, the United States has spent about $240 million a year on traffic safety research, but there has been almost no publicly funded research on firearm injuries."

That op-ed was published five months before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, where 20 children and six adults were shot to death.

One month after the massacre, President Barack Obama issued an executive order saying that the director of the CDC "shall conduct or sponsor research into the causes of gun violence and the ways to prevent it."

But the CDC is still too nervous to study gun violence. Congress didn’t help: It blocked bills in 2012 and 2013 that would have provided $10 million in funding for the CDC's gun violence research, which Obama had requested.

There will no doubt be renewed calls to study and understand the root causes of gun violence in the wake of the Orlando shooting. The CDC should answer those calls.http://thescoopblog.dallasnewsblogs.com/files/2016/06/GUNS.jpg

Bullshit. Both speak to a person's character. Of course Due Process will be used in every case, IMO, by a trier of facts as a means of appeal for those who choose to make such an appeal.
A person who commits a non-violent crime is no more likely to commit gun violence than anyone else. Character is irrelevant. See Bill "Boogie Nights" Clinton.

Narrative Fail.

So sad.

Guns have other uses besides democrats who use them to murder people...normal people use guns to save lives, for target shooting, for hunting, collecting ......

We can't have a discussion with people like you because you hate guns....you are afraid of guns....and you want to ban them for use by law abiding people..leaving them at the mercy of criminals....

The kids disagree! Bless the kids!

5ab3d35d1f0000270616b2b0.jpeg

Yeah, isn't it funny how progressives think that children, with virtually no life experience, should be making decisions for hundreds of millions of people. That's a pretty compelling example of insanity. Thanks.

Yeah, isn't it funny how progressives think that children, with virtually no life experience, should be making decisions for hundreds of millions of people. That's a pretty compelling example of insanity. Thanks.

I think they had a very significant live experience. Seventeen of their classmate were massacred - while in school.

I think they had a very significant live experience. Seventeen of their classmate were massacred - while in school.

Yeah, one life experience that was horrible, and that their school system, and local Sheriff were partially responsible for. Seems to me that if they truly cared about preventing this sort of thing again they would first be looking at the very obvious failures of their local governmental entity's, but, as they are merely pawns of the progressive groups trying to disarm this country, they ignore that.

Like i said, i don't listen to children for how I should live my life.

Narrative Fail.

I never saw a gun get up and start shooting on its own.
Of course not. That is why in every case of 'accidental discharge' of a firearm there should be an obligatory charge of criminal endangerment.
I agree sir.

Forum List

Back