CD copying---format issues

Sir Evil said:
There isn't away to do so, if your cars player wont play that format get a new car stereo!

If it doesn't recognize the mp3 format chances it wont recognize the other possible formats either. I would consider upgrading to a newer model car stereo, most will play the mp3 format now.

How often have you tried the mp3 recorded discs in the car? make sure it was on quality media as sometimes cheap blanks wont playback on much!

i haven't actually tried it. i just heard that mp3 cd's won't play in cars.
my car is a 2000 impala ls, stock stereo---is that new enough?

i haven't gotten the cds yet, so i have no real way of trying it out until then.

You need to change the format from MP3 to either .wav or .cda it will then play on any CD Player. You can do this with the JukeBox. You would need to load the music onto your computer, change the files using JukeBox then burn them to the CD after you changed them.

Of course you should test to see if your CD player can play MP3 format before you do that as the quality will slightly degrade when you change the format.

Thanks guys! You are a big help. Thanks SE for the PM...

The CD's are coming from the UK, where my friend is visiting. She bought a couple CD's of music by an orchestra over there and is sending copies of them to me. I know I can play them on my computer, but I really want to listen in my car.

When I get them, I will try them in the car first to see if they work. If not, I will proceed with copying to regular format, and reburning to a blank disc.

I'll let you know how it goes and if I have any issues.

Terminology note: The format that is understandable by ALL CD players is called Redbook Audio as opposed to MP3 which is only understood by some of the more modern CD players.

You can burn MP3s onto CD in Redbook Audio very quickly with Windows Media Player. The steps will be slightly different depending on what version you are running but basically you want to choose the "Burn" option. You will then need to insert your blank CD, choose which MP3s to burn, and choose "Start Burn" (or whatever the "Go" option is). Windows Media Player will convert the songs to Redbook Audio and burn in one step.

There shouldn't be any loss in quality when going from MP3 to Redbook Audio, the loss only occurs when going from Redbook to MP3. The only real disadvantage is that you can fit about 10+ hours of music on a CD when the music is in MP3 format but only 70 minutes when it is in Redbook Audio format. Obviously then, if your car CD player can play MP3s, you are far better off leaving it in MP3 format.

Again, thanks for your replies.

I got the discs yesterday. Good news and bad news.

bad news first...

Bad news is my car (nor my 4 yr old stereo) will play the discs. the ET/time length of play LOOKS like it's playing, but no sound. I tried both discs, but nothing worked. I actually think it has to do with the fact the discs were burned on a computer in the UK-i know their technology is a bit different there, like with DVDs, but i don't know if that is the case. The discs work fine on both my computers though. My hubby has a few cds that are mp3 format (i didn't know-he just told me) and they play in our car just fine.

Good news is my hubby bought a portable cd/MP3 player complete with car kit from his co-worker for $5, so I don't have to spend hours reformatting, then burning discs. The 2nd disc alone would have amounted to about 40 discs, because of the length of about 1785 minutes. I was actually going to go out and buy a set of discs and cases JUST for this project if I had to.

So, it all works out, and I am able to listen in the car, and actually, anywhere since the CD/MP3 player is portable and can operate on batteries or car outlet.

Thanks again for your help!!

Did you find that any particular brand , size or speed of burning made your stereo play your burned cds any better ?

Forum List

Back