CBS To Release Statement at Noon Today

Bonnie said:
It is in liberal math lingo ............0x0+bullshit= redouble our efforts

no joke--can we say stall?---I can just see the director trying to streeeeeetttcccchhhh this thing out until they know what to do! :bs1:

dilloduck said:
no joke--can we say stall?---I can just see the director trying to streeeeeetttcccchhhh this thing out until they know what to do! :bs1:

I just had this picture in my head of everyone at CBS emptying their desk contents/photos into shopping bags while they leave Bob the janitor to keep releasing memos.

Bonnie said:
I just had this picture in my head of everyone at CBS emptying their desk contents/photos into shopping bags while they leave Bob the janitor to keep releasing memos.

:shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :shocked:

Kathianne said:
That's what I thought.

OT-Did SE help you find your new avatar? LOL

I swear I have gotten absolutely ZILCH done today because of this CBS story, maybe a little a schoolwork, and now instead of having a healthy dinner I had a bowl of cerial. We could be here all night waiting. Kathianne put a pot of coffee on but don't give any to Dilly he's having tea .......LOL

I had this avatar in my stash, but I could sure send some good ones to him.

Bonnie said:
I swear I have gotten absolutely ZILCH done today because of this CBS story, maybe a little a schoolwork, and now instead of having a healthy dinner I had a bowl of cerial. We could be here all night waiting. Kathianne put a pot of coffee on but don't give any to Dilly he's having tea .......LOL

I had this avatar in my stash, but I could sure send some good ones to him.

I've been checking out the news, organizing my books to do research...I'm going to get to it soon, I swear...all day long! :slap: :spank3:

I gotta get going, coffee going on in a minute, paper due tomorrow! :shocked:

Another I found pretty amusing:

http://rightwingsparkle.blogspot.com/2004/09/tonight-rather-admits-mistake-on-cbs.html

TONIGHT! RATHER ADMITS MISTAKE ON CBS!!
"Good evening, I'm Dan Rather. We start off tonight admitting a mistake. Yes, the documents are forgeries. But those pajama clad brownshirts blogging their HATE, did not have anything to do with exposing this uhh...mistake. We already had experts on the job testing the paper, fonts, EVERYTHNG! I swear its true! I, as a responsible journalist simply reported the story as I saw it at the time. In fact if we hadn't had all those computer nazis taking up all the time of the experts we would have had the truth out alot sooner. The real story tonight is that not only is the content of the memos true, a CBS pyschic has gotten in touch with late Jerry Killian and he has confirmed all that we suspected and more. Bush not only went AWOL in 1973, but was discovered 6 months later passed out from a cocaine binge in a Las Vegas motel singing "My baloney has a first name..." And finally, We have discovered that Karl Rove was behind the forgeries. James Carville overheard him at the RNC bragging about it. I hope this restores my credibility, as it should."

Or maybe the 86 year old Secretary has all the answers...

Drudge has the transcripts:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

TRANSCRIPT EVENING NEWS:

RATHER INTRO: CBS News .. "60 Minutes" .. and this reporter .. drew new fire today .. over our reports that raised questions about President Bush's military service record .. including whether he fulfilled his obligations to the national guard.

CBS News correspondent Wyatt Andrews reports on the latest attack on the "60 Minutes" story .. and the CBS News response.

ANDREWS: Congressional republicans turned the high heat on CBS News, charging that last week's revelations about Lt George Bush, which aired on "60 Minutes" were based on fake documents and demanding that 60 Minutes and Dan Rather retract the story.

Sot Bennet

Its very clear the documents were forged. They were laid on him and this time he bit.

ANDREWS: 40 members of the House signed a letter accusing the network of deception--in a letter asking CBS if the documents are authentic, why wont the network say how it got them .

Roy Blunt (R-Missouri)

I think at the very least CBS should characterize the source. I think it's amazing that they haven't already done that.

ANDREW:

The dispute surrounds memoranda 60 Minutes says came from the personal file of Lt. Bush's Air National Guard Commander, Lt Col Jerry Killian. .... Memos that accuse Mr Bush of disobeying an order and of using connections to have Killian "sugarcoat" Mr Bush's record. (out)

However some experts doubt the authenticity of the memos. Killian's secretary--in an interview for tonight's 60 Minutes tells Dan Rather she too believes the memos are fake --but-- accurately reflect KIllian's view of Lt. Bush.

Sot MARIAN KNOX:

I know that I didn't type them however, the information in those is correct.

ANDREWS

Marian Knox says Col Killian liked Mr Bush but not his attitude.

Sot MARIAN KNOX

First of all Killian was very friendly with Bush they had fun together. And I think it upset him very much that he was being defied.

ANDREWS

CBS News officials say the memos came from a confidential source- and that they remain certain the content of the story is true.

ANDREW HEYWARD:

we would not have put the report on the air if we did not believe in every aspect of it.

Narr

However, News President Andrew Heyward also says the network will try to resolve what he calls the unresolved issues.

Sot ANDREW HEYWARD:

..enough questions have been raised that we are going redouble our efforts to answer those questions.

ANDREWS:

Some at this network believe the backlash against the 60 Minutes report is pure politcics. But that's the critics' point as well-- that fake, or real, the fact that 60 Minutes got these documents during an election year was no accident. Wyatt Andrews CBS News Washington.

See, it's probably Rove....:rolleyes:

I just don't see much difference, both Dan and Andrew should be fired. I saw this, which comes close to mirroring my feelings, except the one fleeting part that they might have seen the light-these folks are blinded by their own superiority. There are many links at the following site:

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/000921.php

Via Drudge
Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."

Sounds like a sliver of sanity is fighting and clawing its way into the newsroom.

UPDATE: Maybe not. Once again, that report sounded suspiciously like a classic Chewbacca Defense.

UPDATE: This interview with Killian's secretary is outrageous. It's propaganda ... how can they interview Killian's secretary, but not Killian's wife or son?

This is unbelievable. Dan Rather essentially has a witness unequivocally disparage the authenticity of the memos (yet says that the authenticity is still in question), but then expects us to simply move on and value her other testimony about the spirit of other memos that she says existed. And keep in mind that even her testimony about Killian keeping memos is contradicted by his wife and son, who both swear that he never dictated thoughts or wrote anything down. How would a family member know what his habits were at work? Besides the obvious credibility of spousal intimacy, his son later served with him as a Captain in the TANG.

Now they even state that the CBS forensics experts maintain their story!

I ... I ... I'm speechless. I've held out hope that there is some vague sense of justice left in this society, but this sorely shakes my faith. I'll comment more on this later, but right now I'm simply unable to process where we should go from this point.

UPDATE: For what it's worth, Killian's son is disputing the secretary's version of events on Hannity & Colmes. He said that she was a pool secretary, not Killian's personal assistant, and she "wouldn't have insight into that situation."

"I think that they're in way over their heads."

"That's what I find so despicable about this whole thing, that they would use my deceased father (for political purposes)..."

UPDATE: Pat Caddell is fantastic.

Posted by Bill at 06:19 PM

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it might get more attention here...

What's at issue is did CBS knowlingly use faulty sources or did were they irresponsible enough to not fact check enough to realize that the documents might be fake? If they are fake, either way its bad news bears for CBS. That's what I'm getting, correct me if I'm wrong.

So, here's my question...what if instead of resulting in.. very little, what if their irresponsibility resulted in a war? We'd conceivably be burning houses down and flipping cars over, relatively speaking, considering the response we're getting to the reality of the situation.

So since the current administration has explicitly stated the sourcing used for some of the information made in Colin Powell's address to the U.N. about Iraq's purported WMDs was, well, here's Powell's quote from Meet the Press: "And so I'm deeply disappointed. ...it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that, I am disappointed and I regret it."

So, either the Bush administration knowingly used deliberately misleading information, or they were too irresponsible to realize that the information was deliberately misleading... right?

Shouldn't we be significantly more pissed off about this than the potential CBS scandal?

Moreover, there are mumbling and grumblings that the CBS memos were provided by the Kerry campaign and/or the DNC, asserting that the falsifications were potentially politically motivated. Overlooking the ludicrous nature of asserting something like this with a complete lack of evidence (similarly ludicrous to implicate Karl Rove et al.) could the assertions that the politans have made in the case being made for war have been politically motivated as well?

Just think its a similar train of thought.

So, here's my question...what if instead of resulting in.. very little, what if their irresponsibility resulted in a war? We'd conceivably be burning houses down and flipping cars over, relatively speaking, considering the response we're getting to the reality of the situation.

No, unlike some, Republicans do not pillage and loot and set things on fire as a result of being pissed off.
We're more responsible than that.

nakedemperor said:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it might get more attention here...

What's at issue is did CBS knowlingly use faulty sources or did were they irresponsible enough to not fact check enough to realize that the documents might be fake? If they are fake, either way its bad news bears for CBS. That's what I'm getting, correct me if I'm wrong.

So since the current administration has explicitly stated the sourcing used for some of the information made in Colin Powell's address to the U.N. about Iraq's purported WMDs was, well, here's Powell's quote from Meet the Press: "And so I'm deeply disappointed. ...it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that, I am disappointed and I regret it."

So, either the Bush administration knowingly used deliberately misleading information, or they were too irresponsible to realize that the information was deliberately misleading... right?

Shouldn't we be significantly more pissed off about this than the potential CBS scandal?

Moreover, there are mumbling and grumblings that the CBS memos were provided by the Kerry campaign and/or the DNC, asserting that the falsifications were potentially politically motivated. Overlooking the ludicrous nature of asserting something like this with a complete lack of evidence (similarly ludicrous to implicate Karl Rove et al.) could the assertions that the politans have made in the case being made for war have been politically motivated as well?

Just think its a similar train of thought.

I don't think so, ignoring your underlying causticness. The case for war with Iraq was at least 12 years in the making, spanning 3 administrations, one of which was 2 terms. It was not just WMD, which you are trying to return to, but was multi-faceted. The problems with WMD, if there ultimately is proven to be so, was one of intel. Not just CIA either, but world reporting intel.

Kathianne said:
I don't think so, ignoring your underlying causticness. The case for war with Iraq was at least 12 years in the making, spanning 3 administrations, one of which was 2 terms. It was not just WMD, which you are trying to return to, but was multi-faceted. The problems with WMD, if there ultimately is proven to be so, was one of intel. Not just CIA either, but world reporting intel.

There were excellent reasons for not going the invasion route, which was undoubtedly explored by Bush I and Clinton. What makes the Bush II invasion so dubious is the apparent lack of new developments that would precipitate an accelerated timetable. Which brings you back, of course, to the question about deliberately misleading information. CBS and Bush: what was it? Too careless or too dishonest? (Rough segue, I know, but I didn't want to turn a CBS thread into ANOTHER war thread....everyone can just ignore my comment, or PM me to respond, just food for thought).

nakedemperor said:
There were excellent reasons for not going the invasion route, which was undoubtedly explored by Bush I and Clinton. What makes the Bush II invasion so dubious is the apparent lack of new developments that would precipitate an accelerated timetable. Which brings you back, of course, to the question about deliberately misleading information. CBS and Bush: what was it? Too careless or too dishonest? (Rough segue, I know, but I didn't want to turn a CBS thread into ANOTHER war thread....everyone can just ignore my comment, or PM me to respond, just food for thought).

You keep forgetting the one new development that changes everything 911.

Prior to 911 we could pretend that ignoring the treat posed by terrorists and those who supported terrorists IE Saddam would be a way to peace. But 911 has shown us that if we are apathetic and ignore that there are evil men in the world who want to kill us and seeking means to do so, we will be hit. If John Kerry is elected, i think we would be hit with something that made 911 look like a family picnic, only we wouldnt have a strong leader to respond then.

You keep forgetting the one new development that changes everything 911.

Prior to 911 we could pretend that ignoring the treat posed by terrorists and those who supported terrorists IE Saddam would be a way to peace. But 911 has shown us that if we are apathetic and ignore that there are evil men in the world who want to kill us and seeking means to do so, we will be hit. If John Kerry is elected, i think we would be hit with something that made 911 look like a family picnic, only we wouldnt have a strong leader to respond then.

Dick Cheney would agree with you.

And you're right, 9/11 changed everything. After 9/11 people were ready to follow the president anywhere; shit he probably could have invaded France and made it look legit.

nakedemperor said:
Dick Cheney would agree with you.

And you're right, 9/11 changed everything. After 9/11 people were ready to follow the president anywhere; shit he probably could have invaded France and made it look legit.

I take it you disagree then.

Too bad. Id rather live in reality and face the truth than pretend 911 didnt happen and live in an illusion.

I take it you disagree then.

Too bad. Id rather live in reality and face the truth than pretend 911 didnt happen and live in an illusion.

Yes that's right Avatar according to NE we are supposed to respond to terrorism by placing flowers in guns and engaing those in power that financially, and otherwise support and arm terrorists to have cafe latte at a Starbucks and "talk things over"............The French are idiots and they had plenty of corrupt own self interest to be of any use to anyone in fighting Sadam, so they are not smart and they are not prudent they are corrupt idiots!!!!!!
And if you really want to harken back to Clinton and Bush 1, they were both wrong for not addressing Hussein in the time they were given to lead this country......Bush 1 at least did mostly the right thing, however he ran into trouble when he decided to listen to the European community and not go all the way to Bagdad when he had the chance........VERY BIG MISTAKE, he was trying to appease the coalition, maybe that was politically expedient, but in the long run incorrect for US.

New Topics

Forum List

Back