CBS To Release Statement at Noon Today

JIHADTHIS said:
I don't think he can take the heat off of himself, cuz the source is worse then the coverup......(Think someone in Kerry's campaign or the DNC)

you have a point. better one man go down rather than the whole party (which is happening anyway-kinda fun watching the whole DFL implode) but it still makes the DFL look bad. I have a couple of co-workers that were hardcore DFL'rs, and they are slowly moving to the right, and most will be voting Republican this year, due to the whole left side getting too extreme and just plain sad. One even said that JFK (kennedy, not kerry) would be considered a Republican/Conservative by today's definitions, and would spin in his grave if he knew what Kerry & Co. are doing to his party.

Bonnie said:
Have you ever read Bernie Goldberg's book on media bias pertaining mainly to his experiences as CBS?
Like you I am cautious to yield to conspiracy theories, however I guess my idea of conspiracy re msm is more of an unspoken but universally felt agenda, if that makes sense? Yeah technically if they are at a board room meeting plotting, that to my mind is like you said conspiracy.

Yes, I've read it. Problem with MSM is that they all really DO think alike. That's not 'conspiracy' as much as a herd mentality.

Leave it to Tim Blair to connect? CBS and DNC, obviously lots of links:

http://timblair.spleenville.com/archives/007485.php

September 16, 2004
WHO KNEW WHAT, WHEN?
When things get mysterious, turn to a mystery writer. Here’s Roger L. Simon:

The question at the top of my list right now, given this latest report from ABC that the producers at CBS were not very interested in the warnings of their own experts, is the obvious ... Was CBS working alone?

Nathan Moore might be able to help with that, via his alert Tennessee radio-monitoring friend Bob Krumm:

Veteran Nashville broadcaster, Teddy Bart on his daily radio show, “Teddy Bart’s Roundtable” may have given us a clue about who knew about the documents nearly a month ago. It appears that Bob Tuke, who was a guest on the show on August 11th knew that something was about to happen with regard to President Bush’s alleged failure to show up for a physical examination.

Teddy referenced the episode yesterday (September 9th) when 42:13 seconds into the show he said, “Listeners to the Roundtable will note that something was going to come because Bob Tuke, who is a Nashville attorney and significant in the Kerry campaign in Tennessee, told us about three weeks ago that um there was going to be some document, or implied that there will be a document about Bush’s missing time in the Alabama National Guard, in the National Guard, and that somebody was going to come forward with a document. So it did happen, and uh 60 Minutes had it.”

Nathan, who has an audio link to the Teddy Bart episode in question, writes:

What was obvious to Teddy Bart even a month ago was that Bob Tuke was aware of a pending document that would shed a damaging light on President Bush’s time in the National Guard. But how would Bob Tuke know? Sure, he’s well-known in Tennessee Democrat circles, but he’s not that high up in the Kerry organization. If I were a budding journalist wanting to make a name for myself, I’d sure like to ask Bob Tuke, what did you know and when did you know it?

And then there’s this, from John Ellis:

If you traveled in certain circles on the East Coast this past summer, the one story you heard over and over again was that Ben Barnes had the goods on George W. Bush's National Guard record and that CBS News was going to break the story on "60 Minutes." I must have heard this story four or five times, including once from an investment banker who claimed to have heard it from Barnes himself.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports:

An opposition research staffer for the Democratic National Committee is said to have received the documents from a retired military officer six weeks ago. Senior DNC and Kerry staff members are said to have reviewed them, the latter supposedly passing them on to "60 Minutes."

Should these memos prove to be the forgeries some think they are, John Kerry will have dug his political grave. So, too, the Democratic Party.

The "retired military officer" mention ties neatly with Bill Burkett, whose connection to the memos was overnight firmed up by the New York Times:

One person at CBS, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed a report in Newsweek that Bill Burkett, a retired National Guard officer who has charged that senior aides to then-Gov. Bush had ordered Guard officials to remove damaging information from Mr. Bush's military personnel files, had been a source of the report. This person did not know the exact role he played.

Nothing confirmed at present, but this is all creeping closer and closer to the DNC. Or, if you believe Dan Rather -- and nobody will, ever again, about anything -- it’s the devious work of those amazing Bush geniuses:

According to a CBS News producer operating out of the network's 57th Street facilities, Rather and his supporters now believe the controversy surrounding the four discredited Texas National Guard memos has been engineered by the Bush campaign.

"In the end, it probably doesn't matter," says the CBS News producer. "We're sunk. Our reputations have been impugned, and if we didn't look like we were shilling for Kerry a week ago, we look like we're trying to at least protect a source who gave us these documents who might be supportive of Kerry or at least the Democratic Party."

Posted by Tim Blair at September 16, 2004 02:44 AM

The CBS producer who said (albeit anonomously) "We're sunk..." has uttered the first lucid comment I've heard out of CBS on this subject. The damage is done, and it is irreparable.

musicman said:
The CBS producer who said (albeit anonomously) "We're sunk..." has uttered the first lucid comment I've heard out of CBS on this subject. The damage is done, and it is irreparable.

Truer words not spoken! :beer:

Wait - I've got it! I know why CBS has been stalling. They're lining up advertising spots!

They know they'll never get this rate again.

I found this hilarious, but my sense of humor sometimes is weird. There are some links imbedded here:

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/006708.php

A Rather Long Wait
Posted by Stephen Green · 15 September 2004
My watch says 3:04pm Mountain.

UPDATE

I haven't been stood up like this since 1988.

UPDATE

While we're all sitting here waiting, check out Sean Kirby's latest. He's off haitus, but still in his pajamas.

UPDATE

"Waiter, more breadsticks, please? I'm sure she's just stuck in traffic."

UPDATE

Did you know that SpellCheck doesn't know the "interruptus" part of "coitus interruptus?" It suggests "interrupt us" as a replacement.

Please, Dan, go on and interrupt us already. It'd be no bother.

UPDATE

"And another glass of water, if you would please, waiter."

UPDATE

The Comments section is usually funnier than I am. Here's a sample to get you amused:

Maybe they're going to announce a new show: 60 (more) Minutes (please).

Dear Viewers,

Please excuse Danny's sloppy reporting. He came down with the flu when he was supposed to be checking his facts, and he ran out of time. It will not happen again.

Epstein's Mother

I know what's happening -- the statement announcing a pending statement was FORGED.

How about replacing "60 Minutes" with "45 Minutes".

Dan’s 15 minutes are over.

And my patience is about finished, too.

Well, it's five pee em down here in God's country and still no statement.

Is it taking them THAT long to pry Rather's fingers off the door jamb and drag him out of the building?

Merlin1047 said:
Well, it's five pee em down here in God's country and still no statement.

Is it taking them THAT long to pry Rather's fingers off the door jamb and drag him out of the building?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

One of the oldest cliche dialogues in all of moviedom:

1) "It sure is quiet".

2) "Yeah - TOO quiet".

from Drudge:

Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing." :gay:

fuzzykitten99 said:
Why do I get the feeling that Rather typed the memos himself? I mean, if he REALLY wanted the heat off him and his colleagues, he could point the finger and say "He is the one that gave them to me, I just reported the story."

The guy who typed them would be in more trouble than the guy who reports it. Forging military documents is a federal offense.

Because if someone from the DNC typed this memo it would destroy the Democrat campaign. In fact it would destroy whats left of the party. It would be a scandal bigger than watergate.

Whats ironic is Dan Rather and CBS have become what they hated in Nixon.

Word from the legal community is that a "nolo contendre" plea will henceforth be known as a "CBS".

So there you go. Rather is interviewing the secretary on 60 Minutes 2.
Still standing by their "story", but you can see that they are spinning this into we we're set up by Rove...........disgusting

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerry200409151818.asp

Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."
My readers keep impressing me with their funny and insightful reactions, as I sit here, stunned by the oddity of the CBS statement.

Already several dozen Kerry Spot readers note the use of the word "accurate" instead of "authentic."

J's reaction: "How many millions of Americans haven’t done a damn thing since noon while waiting for this?"

UPDATE FOR HUMOR: Parody news site Scrappleface: "Former CIA Boss Tenet Calls CBS Memos 'Slam Dunk'"

[Posted 09/15 06:18 PM]

I've a question, is 0 Doubled still 0?

Bonnie said:
It is in liberal math lingo ............0x0+bullshit= redouble our efforts

That's what I thought.

OT-Did SE help you find your new avatar? LOL

Forum List

Back