CBS Statement Regarding 'The Reagans'

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Not sure where to post this one, but figured here was as good as any other place! I'm glad they dumped it, it seemed like there was some sort of 'agenda' behind the portrayal from what I read.

NEW YORK, Nov. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- "CBS will not broadcast THE REAGANS on November 16 and 18. This decision is based solely on our reaction to seeing the final film, not the controversy that erupted around a draft of the script.

Although the mini-series features impressive production values and acting performances, and although the producers have sources to verify each scene in the script, we believe it does not present a balanced portrayal of the Reagans for CBS and its audience. Subsequent edits that we considered did not address those concerns.

A free broadcast network, available to all over the public airwaves, has different standards than media the public must pay to view. We do, however, recognize and respect the filmmakers' right to have their voice heard and their film seen. As such, we have reached an agreement to license the exhibition rights for the film to Showtime, a subscriber-based, pay-cable network. We believe this is a solution that benefits everyone involved.

This was not an easy decision to make. CBS does tackle controversial subjects and provide tough assessments of prominent historical figures and events, as we did with films such as 'Jesus,' '9-11' and 'Hitler.' We will continue to do so in the future."

What a joke! CBS bowed to pressure from the Reagan is God right. James Brolin is a respected actor. Who do you on the right think should've played Reagan? Perhaps Arnold Schwarzeneggar?

Originally posted by acludem
What a joke! CBS bowed to pressure from the Reagan is God right. James Brolin is a respected actor. Who do you on the right think should've played Reagan? Perhaps Arnold Schwarzeneggar?

What does the actor have to do with this? Nobody complained about that at all. The complaints were over portrayals of incorrect incidents.

You know, if their depiction of the Reagans had been at all
true, maybe you'd have a reason to whine. But they
admitted they were lying, after first trying to present their
show as something historically accurate.

They didn't have the guts to go after someone who might
be able to defend himself from their attacks. Instead
they decided to go after an Alzheimer's victim and his
troubled wife.

I thought liberals were all into boosting self-esteem and for
treating people as equals.

Looks like I was wrong.

It's just not fair if you can't tell mean lies about people
you're politically opposed to!

Now, as for Barbara Streisand...

The woman is obviously unbalanced.
Any woman who would reject the advances of Elvis
Presley, but slobber all over a man like Bill Clinton
is damaged.

Originally posted by acludem

I would have been fine with the show running on CBS... as long as there was a crawl going across the screen during the entire show stating something like "The dialouge and actions taken by the Reagans in this show is total fiction, and should not be taken seriously."

I recall that bitch stating that if Bush won the election - she would leave the USA - when is that boat shoving off??

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder
Alec Baldwin
Robert Altman
Pierre Salinger
Barbra Streisand
Lynn Redgrave
Cher

Doesn't anyone honor their word anymore? Buy 'em tickets and ship their sorry lying asses out of the country! Thats one of the sorriest lists of people I've ever seen.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/leave.htm

Honorable mention to Sarandon and Robbins. I haven't heard of either vowing to uproot themselves and leave the country, but I say they get a one way plane ticket as well. What does baseball and the hall of fame have to do with actors voicing their political views?

Hear, hear!
:cof: *drinks a toast to their safe travel!*

Originally posted by jimnyc
Here is what Barbara Streisand had to say:

http://barbrastreisand.com/statements.html

She is a fucking idiot and I hope she dies. I'm sorry if anyone is offended by that, but I hate that bitch. She should stick to her shitty music. You'll notice this page is full of her political views.
Well, if she and her followers can't see the hypocrisy of quoting the first amendment in a paragraph right below where she criticized those opposed to the Regan movie than she needs her head examined.

Secondly, censorship by one's self, according to one's beliefs, is - if nothing else- completely commonplace and legal. The government nor anyone affiliated with the government stopped the airing.

Lastly, did anyone go to the link notice that when you close the web page that pops up you are left with a little window asking you to buy an album, cd, dvd, etc? Hate to say it but speech whose aim is to sell things isn't free: it's advertising.

Forum List

Back