Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Couldn't be more deserved!

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/31000.htm

New York Post

DAN'S RATINGS IN A FREE FALL
By MICHAEL STARR and VINCENT MORRIS

September 28, 2004 -- Dan Rather's ratings in New York continue to tank in the wake of the fake-documents scandal.

The "CBS Evening News" averaged 160,000 viewers last week on WCBS/Channel 2 — down from 231,000 viewers the week before.

Rather apologized for the National Guard documents debacle on the Sept. 20 newscast, and his numbers actually rose the next two days, reaching a high of 241,000 viewers Wednesday.

In the week before Rather's on-air mea culpa, viewership was off a staggering 49 percent.

The numbers spiraled downward since Wednesday, with Thursday's "Evening News" pulling only 140,000 viewers on Channel 2, and a measly 108,000 viewers Friday, according to Nielsen numbers.

Meanwhile, a fourth of American adults polled for USA Today and CNN by Gallup say Rather should be fired over the story charging President Bush got special treatment during his National Guard service — but 64 percent said the anchor should not be canned.

Also, 38 percent said the CBS report was a hit job aimed at making Bush look bad, while 56 percent said it was an "honest mistake."

The poll of 546 adults conducted Friday through Sunday is the first national effort to gauge damage to CBS over the story.

The poll also asked how many Americans had been following the controversy, with 22 percent saying they were very closely tracking it. Another 43 percent said they were following it "somewhat," while 24 percent said "not at all."

Meanwhile, former New Jersey Republican Senate candidate Doug Forrester is taking out a series of radio and TV ads hitting Rather.

A Forrester aide said the ads begin airing today on CBS stations here, in Philadelphia and in New Jersey, as well as on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.

"Dan Rather desperately wanted to believe forged documents . . . It wasn't just sloppy journalism. It was political bias," says the ad.

"It's time for Dan Rather to go."

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM
are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.
Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

CSM said:
Well, if you believe the polls, they will retain 56% of their viewers! That should be enough for them, right? Right?
:cool: :laugh:

Seriously, I am surprised that they haven't seen the 56% as a mandate to continue such unresponsible journalism. I would almost bet that if money were not involved, they would see it as confirmation that over half their viewrs will believe anything; maybe beneath it all they really do see it that way and will use that to their advantage.

CSM said:
Seriously, I am surprised that they haven't seen the 56% as a mandate to continue such unresponsible journalism. I would almost bet that if money were not involved, they would see it as confirmation that over half their viewrs will believe anything; maybe beneath it all they really do see it that way and will use that to their advantage.

Yes, but luckily this is NOT PBS, and they will probably lose more than 54% of their revenue futures. Interesting, no?

CSM said:

But money will be involved soon. Advertisers, who are keenly interested in ratings numbers, will start moving to other spots or to other networks where they can get more bang for their buck. Once that happens, Rather will be out the door so fast it will leave friction burns on his sorry ass.

Joz and I were talking, and have a suggestion for The Dan:

Team up with O.J. Simpson and do a reality show.

musicman said:
Joz and I were talking, and have a suggestion for The Dan:

Team up with O.J. Simpson and do a reality show.

They would have to take it out to California, otherwise they'd have a hell of a time getting an audience.

But it did get me to thinking (dangerous) and I came up with a few things I'd like to see on television.

1. Dan Rather vs OJ Simpson in a brass knuckle match.

2. Hillary Clinton & Rosalyn Carter vs Teresa Catsup Kerry & Leona Helmsley in a mud wrestling tag-team match.

3. Ted Kennedy in a distance swimming contest - in the ocean - one way.

4. Terry McAuliffe in a radical makeover show. The goal would be to alter his appearance to match his morals. Guess he'd come away looking like a cross between a pig and a rat.

5. John Kerry and any able-bodied Viet Nam vet no holds barred for five minutes.

6. George Soros in a tug-of-war with a steam roller.

7. John Edwards pleading a case in front of Judge Judy.

8. George Bush spanking Hillary Clinton.

9. George Stephanopolis being fed into a large Cuisinart - feet first.

10. CBS filing for bankruptcy.

nycflasher said:
Rather and OJ?

Sure. Can't you see the similarities? Addicted to the high life. Believing that mass worship is their due. And, absolutely nonplussed at the fact that each is about as welcome in his old circle as a leper.

Merlin1047 said:
They would have to take it out to California, otherwise they'd have a hell of a time getting an audience.

But it did get me to thinking (dangerous) and I came up with a few things I'd like to see on television.

1. Dan Rather vs OJ Simpson in a brass knuckle match.

2. Hillary Clinton & Rosalyn Carter vs Teresa Catsup Kerry & Leona Helmsley in a mud wrestling tag-team match.

3. Ted Kennedy in a distance swimming contest - in the ocean - one way.

4. Terry McAuliffe in a radical makeover show. The goal would be to alter his appearance to match his morals. Guess he'd come away looking like a cross between a pig and a rat.

5. John Kerry and any able-bodied Viet Nam vet no holds barred for five minutes.

6. George Soros in a tug-of-war with a steam roller.

7. John Edwards pleading a case in front of Judge Judy.

8. George Bush spanking Hillary Clinton.

9. George Stephanopolis being fed into a large Cuisinart - feet first.

10. CBS filing for bankruptcy.

Outstanding! I especially enjoyed #6. Just one thing - I get to drive the steamroller!

How'd you like to have the broadcast rights to #5? Cha-CHING!!!!

Forum List

Back