CBS, NBC ban church ad inviting gays

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Superlative, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    December 2, 2004

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/01/news/fortune500/jesus_ad_ban/

http://mediamatters.org/items/200412010005

Investigate ABC's Religious Discrimination

As noted on this site on Monday, ABC television (which refused last winter to air television commercials from the United Church of Christ) aired television commercials this week for Focus on the Family.

ABC spokesperson Susan Sewell told Religion News Service there was no inconsistently.

"The network doesn't take advertising from religious groups. It's a long-standing policy."

So what is Focus on the Family? Their web site reads:

"Our Mission: To cooperate with the Holy Spirit in disseminating the Gospel of Jesus Christ to as many people as possible, and, specifically, to accomplish that objective by helping to preserve traditional values and the institution of the family."

They sure seem to think they're running a religious group.

Focus on the Family has different corporate entities – some more political than others. Their founded and leader, James Dobson, uses his position with Focus on the Family to campaign for Republican Party candidates. He has urged his supporters to defeat democratic senators this November. Focus on the Family is the definition of the religious right.

The public owns the airways that ABC broadcasts on.

So by what authority does the network make the decision to choose which religious messages it will broadcast? Why does ABC get decide to air messages from the right-wing Focus on the Family and ban the inclusive messages contained in the UCC’s God Is Still Speaking commercials?

It looks like ABC is doing more than deciding to air one commercial over another. It looks like ABC has decided to endorse the message of ultra-conservative values pushed by Focus on the Family. The network doesn’t have that right. We own the airways and if ABC is going to air religious messages from one group they must run them from all groups.

http://chuckcurrie.blogs.com/chuck_currie/2005/05/investigate_abc.html

2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,041
    If the Fairness Doctrine were still in tact, ABC would have to air this commercial, I believe?

Anyway, I saw this commercial a kazillion times it seemed, about 1-2 years ago. I am as religious as they get and I did not find the messege in their commercial as a political message, I saw it as this particular's Church's religious message.

Care

3. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yeah, the story I found is old.

But I didnt know the ad actually aired.

Was it on these networks?

Or a Religious network?

4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,102
    I remember seeing the ad, usually on a cable network. I'm pretty sure I saw it on Fox News a couple of times.

5. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,041
    It was on regular tv. Or perhaps it was on Cable tv, since I don't really watch broadcast tv too much?

The ad was well done, it certainly made me, a Christian, think twice about their message... Which was, that Jesus Christ DID NOT come in to the World
    for the Righteous, but for the Sinners. The message was not that being a sexual active Gay person is okay, the message was that this Church welcomes ALL SINNERS to hear the message of God, which falls in line with, "We all fall short of the Glory of God".

We had a huge thread on this on another message board that I frequent.

I don't, in general, watch religious networks.

Care

6. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    The bible is complete interpretation. Churchs can accept whoever they want, or reject whoever they want. Makes no difference because no church will ever know the true will of god, and no book is going to reveal that either.

The bible was created by men, churchs were built by men, religion was started by men.....god has nothing to do with it, and I can assure you that whoever came up with "god created us in his image" is a complete narcissist.

I think homosexuality actually came before god in the first place. It dates thousands of years back and was accepted alot more. So if gays want to choose to be in a religion that does not accept them, they are stupid. Thats like me joining a club that hates white people and wrote a book about how we should be burned and stoned. I mean, seriously how much of a contradiction is being a gay christian? If your going to be gay, you might as well be a Diest, and follow your own path of the lord, not some other path that believes your type of people should die.

Besides, its not hard to start your own religion now adays. Go build a gay church and ban straights. Nobody is stopping you.

7. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,041
    That is utterly ridiculous Vin. (re: what I highlighted in bold of your text)

It is equally a contradiction for a heterosexual, to be having sex with the opposite sex, before marriage, yet they still seem to be "allowed" to be a Christian?

There would be no need for Jesus Christ, and completely empty churches, if only the Sinless, were allowed in.

Care

8. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I agree, but having sex in either testamen is not really a sin. It is just something the bible claims as "unclean" and you stay unclean for like a day or two, then you pray....and your clean again. With gays, the bible clearly states that they must burn. Nowhere in the bible does it say, murder heterosexual couples.

You also have to understand that when the bible was written, the sinners where not allowed the rights they have today. Thats partly because of the new testamen, but even in the new testamen....homosexuality is not accepted.

So my point was not to attack gays, my point was that.....if your gay, why would the bible be your source of faith? The bible that says you should die. The bible that says you will not go to heaven. I dont get it. Its the same punishment for murder, and dishonor. Even rape is forgivable in the bible. Homosexuality is not forgiven in the bible.

I dont get why gays would be attracted to the bible and christianity in general. It portrays a very violent and unforgiving god. I dont get alot of things about the bible, which is why I dont believe a word of it. Its more of a philosophical tool, and should never be taken literally. Yet, we take it literally everyday by not giving gays the rights they deserve. Do you see the fragmented nature of the bible and christianity in general? They love jesus so much, yet dont follow a single word he preaches. Its disgusting.

I dont see jesus as the lord, I see him as the greatest philosopher of all time, maybe thats why I try to emulate his teachings. If I really didnt give a crap, I would treat him like a god, like everyone else does.....by not listening to a word. Thats how you know your a true god in America, when everyone wears your symbol but nobody follows anything you teach.

Sure any church will allow homosexuals to come in and pray, but why cant they get married? Explain that to me....if they can pray to the same god, why cant they get married under the same god?

9. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,041
    Most people in America do not agree with giving the label of "marriage" to couples of the same sex.

Most people do agree with giving Civil Unions to same sex couples, with all of the gvt benefits given by marriage.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the Government should NOT issue any marriage licences and should only issue civil unions, and leave "marriage" up to the churches, which is where it had begun.

10. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105

I agree with you on the last part, about leaving marriage up to the churches. But I dissagree with the church on their policy of not giving homosexuals the title of "marriage". Im sure that if jesus did exist, and was alive today, he would not treat any believer different from the next.

Thats why I dissagree with most of America, about gay marriage. If gays believe in christ, and follow the lord.....why are they denied the simple act of being united by a father in a church. Its just not equality, and jesus was the first one to preach equality. The first one to teach that every sinner can be forgiven and live a life with the lord, married or unmarried. Apparently today, sinners (homosexuals) can be forgiven by god, but not live a married life with the lord.

Can someone tell me where in the bible jesus said "gays can not get married or be forgiven". I really must see this myself because I dont remember jesus saying that.