CBS Is Going To Concede The Memos Were Forged

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/20/p...partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Where was everybody's judgement on that last day? The same place it's been EVERY day for the last thirty years: Advance that which is expedient to Democrats and embarrasing to Republicans - and the truth be damned!

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Good post, Kathianne.

Thus, far I have not commented on this story because I had a hard time believing that even CBS could be so incompetent.

In my opinion this is the minimum that should happen:

The President of CBS should get on prime-time TV and apologize to the nation and President Bush. He should specify the new verification techniques that CBS will enact to make sure this type of thing never happens again.

Mary Mapes, the producer of the original “60 Minutes” story, should be fired. Twice.

At a minimum, Dan Rather should be suspended for 90 days from any CBS network activity. But only if he agrees to publicly apologize. If he refuses, then he should be fired.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree, though I think the President of CBS and Rather should also be fired. Not for the story, that was just sloppy, but for the cover-up attempt. For still trying to blame GW for not replying to a non-story.

5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

I think that's the part that gripes me the most. "Never mind whether or not my story has any merit - what is your RESPONSE, Mr. President?" The scary part is, I don't think this was purely a defensive, deflective strategy, but more a truly accurate gauge of Dan Rather's arrogance! He truly believes that ANY question he poses should be accompanied by trumpets from on high, and an awed, reverent answer - for he is "The Dan". What a psycho. He's headed for the junkyard, where he belongs.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You guys don't think CBS will accept responsibility do you?
    My guess is this, this is the part were we see them (CBS) scramble to
    reveal that always protected source. Hey that'll get em off the hook.
    Remember that famous liberal whine..."IT'S NOT MY FAULT".

I think they're getting their pointing fingers aimed at Mr. Burkett.
    I could be wrong. (Hope that makes sense it's early..only one cup down)

7. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Mr. P is right on the money. Per the liberal mantra - they'll portray themselves as, what else? V-I-C-T-I-M-S. It's not our fault that we rushed to get this on the air without vetting it properly.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

There's certainly precedent for what you guys are saying - thirty-plus years worth of it. But, I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that it's a brand new day in journalism. These self-appointed purveyors of all that is fit for us to hear are in for a rude awakening. They can no longer pass their propoganda off as "news". They're going to have to deal with actual STANDARDS of accuracy and objectivity. It's not a one-way street any more.

As to Rather, specifically, though, I'll have to admit that you're probably right. There'll be no "clean slate"; no apologies or high-level firings. But they'll find some face-saving scenario for getting rid of Rather. Money's talking, and bullshit's gonna walk.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Burkett HATES Bush and has had a personal vendetta going against him for years. I'm not going to try to be Mr. Predicto on this one but a variety of scenarios are available. Since Rather has already interviewed this guy, it has also has been edited to suit the purpose of its' airing. I'm all for CBS handling the fallout anyway they want. They already have been hung out to dry once. Maybe they will hang themselves again by handling the aftermath in a similar manner. My interest now is to see how the other networks cover the "admission".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    "Since Rather has already interviewed this guy, it has also been edited to suit the purpose of it's airing".

If only the public at large could be made to understand the simple truth of that statement. Per "truth in advertising" laws, CBS should be forced to flash that disclaimer across the screen, intermittently, throughout the show.