CBO Raises Cost of the Healthcare Bill

I'm glad you think 1/6th of the economy is small stuff. Jeeze.

The Clowns in Congress have once again hosed the taxpayers. The taxpayers who didn't want this clusterfuck of a bill. The taxpayers whose representatives totally ignored when passing this peice of shit.

They are just now releasing the true numbers to the CBO and I do believe we ain't seen nothin yet folks.

Can hardly wait. How bout you??

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why Republicans are so concerned over the health care bill which may or not cost another billion but have ZERO concerns over the Republican Drug give a way bill that will cost at least a trillion, possibly two or three trillion?

Why the concern over the small stuff and ignore the big stuff?

Can you explain why YOU are incapable of seeing the problem? I can better tailor a good response if I understand the depth of your denial and dysfunction.

I'm not sure if this has been posted on the board, as I was away from the computer for a few days.
I'm thinking this is just the first for the ceiling to be raised on the healthcare debacle. Anyone want to venture a guess on the next surprise?
I'm wondering why this wasn't added into the final number at the time it was being passed. Or, was it by design?

The director of the Congressional Budget Office said Tuesday that the health care reform legislation would cost, over the next ten years, $115 billion more than previously thought, bringing the total cost to more than $1 trillion.

The revised figure is due to estimated costs to federal agencies to implement the new health care reform bill – such as administrative expenses for the Internal Revenue Services and the Department of Health and Human Services -- and the costs for a "variety of grant and other program spending for which specified funding levels for one or more years are provided in the act."
CBO: Health Care Bill Will Cost $115 Billion More Than Previously Assessed - Political Punch

What the Obama administration was misleading the CBO?:eek:

I think the $115billion figure will turn out to be far lower than what the actual cost will turn out to be. Look at Medicare's initial cost estimates vs. how much it has actually ended up costing. They can promise some pay-go till the cows come home too . . . . it's all just talk. The health care bill will turn out to be yet another bloated government entitlement program that will end up costing . . . and costing . . . and costing . . . . .

Correct. Best way to figure the true cost is multiply the Obama estimate by 5. Obama has sent Hillary back to China to borrow another 250 billion dollars for the month of May. The National Debt has passed the 13 trillion dollar mark....

Obama has added nearly 3 trillion dollars to the national debt in 16 months...."a fundamental transformation" indeed.

I'm not sure if this has been posted on the board, as I was away from the computer for a few days.

I'm thinking this is just the first for the ceiling to be raised on the healthcare debacle. Anyone want to venture a guess on the next surprise?

I'm wondering why this wasn't added into the final number at the time it was being passed. Or, was it by design?

The director of the Congressional Budget Office said Tuesday that the health care reform legislation would cost, over the next ten years, $115 billion more than previously thought, bringing the total cost to more than $1 trillion.

The revised figure is due to estimated costs to federal agencies to implement the new health care reform bill – such as administrative expenses for the Internal Revenue Services and the Department of Health and Human Services -- and the costs for a "variety of grant and other program spending for which specified funding levels for one or more years are provided in the act."

CBO: Health Care Bill Will Cost $115 Billion More Than Previously Assessed - Political Punch

This has been debunked.

Has the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) just upped its cost estimate for the new health care law by $115 billion, as several media outlets are reporting? Not at all.

In March, when CBO estimated health reform’s effects on the deficit, it appropriately included all of the legislation’s impact on mandatory spending. (Mandatory spending, like Medicare and Medicaid, continues from year to year unless Congress passes new legislation to reduce it.)

CBO’s March estimate did not include the legislation’s impact on discretionary spending — the spending Congress provides each year in appropriation bills — because the legislation did not directly affect discretionary spending...

While the new figures are indeed larger than the March ones, the biggest single reason is that they include the cost of renewing the Indian Health Service (IHS), totaling $39 billion over ten years. (Many of the health reform law’s provisions continue existing discretionary programs rather than create new ones.) As CBO’s letter points out, that $39 billion is simply a projection of what the federal government is currently spending for the IHS; not a single dollar represents additional real spending.

In short, yesterday’s CBO letter didn’t provide much new information about the health reform law, which, as CBO has found, will reduce the deficit over the next decade and beyond.

Dispelling Confusion About New CBO Letter on Health Reform Law

B.S. The CBO numbers the first time around were based on what the White House and this administration gave them concerning the health care reform bill. They now have more information than was originally supplied to them and have a revised number.

Surprise, surprise, the administration didn't give the CBO all of the information so that they could make an INFORMED ESTIMATE before the bill was passed. Now they're going to give them little pieces at a time and spread out the bad news that this bill is going to DESTROY the deficit.

Rick

No, the CBO numbers were based on an analysis of the bill.

If you took a look at the numbers, this figure is counting a ton of spending already in the budget. Claiming it's part of the cost of the bill is as dishonest as those claiming the doc fix is part of the cost of the bill.

CBO figures are based on the bill AND parameters given to it by Congress. There is where the trouble began.

CBO figures are based on the bill AND parameters given to it by Congress. There is where the trouble began.

You mean the lack of parameters given by Congress.

No, I meant what I said. Specific rates inflation, exclude costs of payments to doctors under certain other plans and so on.

I was actually agreeing with you. Congress did exclude things out of the health care bill to make it appear to be more deficit neutral. That is what I meant by lack of parameters.

This has been debunked.

B.S. The CBO numbers the first time around were based on what the White House and this administration gave them concerning the health care reform bill. They now have more information than was originally supplied to them and have a revised number.

Surprise, surprise, the administration didn't give the CBO all of the information so that they could make an INFORMED ESTIMATE before the bill was passed. Now they're going to give them little pieces at a time and spread out the bad news that this bill is going to DESTROY the deficit.

Rick

If you took a look at the numbers, this figure is counting a ton of spending already in the budget. Claiming it's part of the cost of the bill is as dishonest as those claiming the doc fix is part of the cost of the bill.

You might want to know what you're talking about before you post. The CBO is limited to what they are given. The bill alone is worthless to the CBO. There is no way to project budget numbers from the bill. They needed information from congress and the administration. They received only a portion of that information.

Rick

Rick

You might want to know what you're talking about before you post. The CBO is limited to what they are given. The bill alone is worthless to the CBO. There is no way to project budget numbers from the bill. They needed information from congress and the administration. They received only a portion of that information.

Rick

I do know what I'm talking about. They're not dependent on information from Congress. The bill spells out the spending and revenue mechanisms.

and the spending and revenue are all completely incorrect...plus when you pass the healthcare legislation piecemeal...i.e. "The 300 billion dollar Doctor Fix" you are lying to the American people. Plus since when did the CBO have time to go through the entire bill??? They are STILL finding spending that thye didn't know about in that 3000 page pile of shit!!!!!

and the spending and revenue are all completely incorrect...plus when you pass the healthcare legislation piecemeal...i.e. "The 300 billion dollar Doctor Fix" you are lying to the American people. Plus since when did the CBO have time to go through the entire bill??? They are STILL finding spending that thye didn't know about in that 3000 page pile of shit!!!!!

The doctor fix was passes a separate bill because it's spending that would have been passed anyway (just as it has annually for a decade).

The doctor fix was passes a separate bill because it's spending that would have been passed anyway (just as it has annually for a decade).

That's just as good of an excuse as any I suppose.

That's just as good of an excuse as any I suppose.

It's not an excuse. It's an explanation. It would behoove you to learn the difference.

Forum List

Back