Causes for a Lack of Oxygen to the Brain

How often were you on a plane before you went to Denver? These 2 men have been on planes almost daily for the last few months campaigning. I'm sure they're used to high altitude pressure by now.
Rattie, please. Airplanes are pressurized, it makes a huge difference. You can google and easily find tips for avoiding or alleviating altitude sickness in Denver.

Planes are pressurized to an altitude equivalent of 7,000 feet, 1,720 feet higher than Denver.
:lol: The planes get the correct amount of oxygen, Rattie. You aren't thinking this through.

Considering both Romney and Obama are constantly flying around in planes pressurized to 7,000 feet, I don't think this applies to either of them.

Neither one should have had any problem with Denver's 5,280 foot altitude.

End of thread right there.

So I guess if we can let Obama use altitude as an excuse for this debate, we should be really worried about him making any decisions aboard air force 1, which is pressurized to around 7000 feet.

lol

It's a lame excuse since no other president in history has ever gotten high as much as obama.

Causes for a Lack of Oxygen to the Brain

High altitude can sometimes caused limited flow of oxygen to the brain.

Severe cognitive impairments in memory or learning can occur as a result.

Causes For A Lack Of Oxygen To The Brain | LIVESTRONG.COM
People respond differently to high altitude. Kind of like jet lag. Obama could have been suffering from both since he had only arrived in Denver two hours before the debate. Possible had the opposite effect on Romney. Romney acted like he had a Bipolar high. Uhm?

LMAO.. The desperation is hysterical.

Just imagine the level of desperation if Obama loses the election. Ugh...talk about ugly.

Holy smokes, I've heard it all now...Obama needs to RESIGN he can't handle high altitudes..

We need a President who is fit enough to handle the job

[ DC's highest point is 390 feet above sea level.

I've lived most of my life at about 10ft above sea level, but at 11,450ft I did not find myself unable to look people in the eye when they were speaking to me.

Rattie, please. Airplanes are pressurized, it makes a huge difference. You can google and easily find tips for avoiding or alleviating altitude sickness in Denver.

Planes are pressurized to an altitude equivalent of 7,000 feet, 1,720 feet higher than Denver.
:lol: The planes get the correct amount of oxygen, Rattie. You aren't thinking this through.

Planes draw in outside air through the air-conditioning packs. They do not add additional oxygen from tanks or oxygen generators.

How often were you on a plane before you went to Denver? These 2 men have been on planes almost daily for the last few months campaigning. I'm sure they're used to high altitude pressure by now.

After more thought, I was actually incorrect with this post. Planes are depressurized from the take-off altitude until they reach the 7,000 foot equivalent.

For example, STL Lambert is 605 ft AMSL. Once a plane takes off from there, the pressure is reduced until the pressure reaches the same as 7,000 ft AMSL. When the plane is landing, the pressure is increased until it reaches the same level as the arrival airport.

After more thought, I was actually incorrect with this post. Planes are depressurized from the take-off altitude until they reach the 7,000 foot equivalent.

For example, STL Lambert is 605 ft AMSL. Once a plane takes off from there, the pressure is reduced until the pressure reaches the same as 7,000 ft AMSL. When the plane is landing, the pressure is increased until it reaches the same level as the arrival airport.
Let's revisit the topic after the next debate. I've never gotten altitude sickness from flying, but I have had it from being at a high altitude on land in various locations.

I've no idea if your favorite president was suffering from it, but the possibility is there.

New stroke drug may prevent brain damage...
:cool:
Drug 'may prevent stroke damage'
7 October 2012 - Clots block the flow of blood, starving the brain of oxygen
It may be possible to use a drug to prevent some of the lasting and crippling damage caused by a stroke, according to doctors in the US and Canada. A safety trial, published in the Lancet Neurology medical journal, suggested the chemical NA-1 was safe to use. The study on 185 people also hinted that patients given the drug developed fewer regions of damaged brain tissue. The Stroke Association said that it was promising, but needed more research.

Tests in primates had suggested NA-1 prevented brain cells dying when a stroke starved them of oxygen. A small trial was set up at 14 hospitals in the US and Canada. Patients who took part were having an operation to repair a brain aneurysm, a weakened blood vessel which could rupture, are at increased risk of a stroke. Ninety-two people had the drug injected into a vein, while another 93 were injected with salty water.

'Safe'

The doctors concluded that NA-1 was safe, with only two patients having mild side effects. However, brain scans also showed that fewer brain lesions, damaged areas of tissue, formed in patients given the drug. The doctors involved said the study provided evidence that "neuroprotection is achievable" but said that "a larger trial is necessary to investigate the robustness of the effect".

Prof Markku Kaste, from Helsinki University Central Hospital, said: "Age is the greatest risk factor for stroke. Because of the global population ageing, the number and burden of strokes will increase." He said previous trials to use drugs to protect the brain had resulted in failure. His said this drug still need to be assessed in much larger clinical trials before its effectiveness was known. Dr Peter Coleman, from the Stroke Association charity said: "We welcome any treatment that could protect brain cells after a stroke and limit the amount of brain damage. This potential treatment appears promising, but a lot more research is needed." The trial was funded by the biopharmaceutical companies NoNO and Arbor Vita.

BBC News - Drug 'may prevent stroke damage'

Conspiracy theories is a good spot for this excuse making thread. Actually altitude sickness doesn't begin to manifest itself until about 8,000 feet above sea level and most normal people aren't bothered even then. Denver is around 5,300 feet above sea level.

Considering both Romney and Obama are constantly flying around in planes pressurized to 7,000 feet, I don't think this applies to either of them.

Neither one should have had any problem with Denver's 5,280 foot altitude.

Doesn't work that way. Though it seems unlikely, it is possible, that Obama was suffering from altitude sickness. First time I was in Denver I was sick as a dog for 24 hours from the altitude.

It doesn't really matter, though. Mitten was toast the minute he entered the election.

I don't know....whenever I go to Montana I always feel refreshed. It's the same altitude.

Course I've been to Casper Wy which is 7000 ft elevation and physical activity is a bit tough for a few days.

Forum List

Back