Cause of Crohn's Disease: Gut Fungus Now Suspected

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
"We already know that bacteria, in addition to genetic and dietary factors, play a major role in causing Crohn's disease," study co-author Mahmoud A. Ghannoum, director of the Center for Medical Mycology at Case Western Reserve, said in a statement. Previous research has shown that people with Crohn's have an abnormal response to certain bacteria that live in the gut, he said. "While most researchers focus their investigations on these bacteria, few have examined the role of fungi, which are also present in everyone's intestines," Ghannoum added.

In the study, the researchers analyzed the microorganisms found in fecal samples from 20 people with Crohn's, 28 of their relatives without the disease, and 21 people without Crohn's who were not related to the 20 people with Crohn's or their relatives. All of the participants were residents of Belgium or northern France.

The researchers found that the people with Crohn's disease had significantly higher levels of two types of bacteria, called Escherichia coli and Serratia marcescens, and one fungus, called Candida tropicalis, compared with their healthy relatives and the other people in the study who did not have the disease, according to the study, published Sept. 20 in the journal mBio.

Moreover, when the researchers examined these bacteria and fungus, they found that the three microorganisms worked together to form a so-called biofilm — a thin, sticky layer of microorganisms — that attaches itself to a portion of the gut. This biofilm could trigger the inflammation that causes the symptoms of Crohn's disease, the researchers said.
Cause of Crohn's Disease: Gut Fungus Now Suspected

I have only met a few people with this and for them it is a miserable condition.

I would also have to be paid very well to study fecal samples. I mean really well. On the plus side, someone could ask you how your day went and you could say, "Aw, just another crap day" and mean it.

This person wrote a blog about the research that they did for a friend. It is a five part series (that is how many pages thus far). They also wrote a book about obtaining the remission without prescription. I came across it while searching for a particular herb.

Crohn’s Disease – A review: Part 1

Forum List

Back