cattle deaths

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Higher prices for grains, next, for cattle.

Heat Wave Taking A Toll On Midwest Cattle Farmers - MyStateLine.com

Some cattle farmers are taking on huge losses as record heat keeps a grip over much of the U.S.
Hundreds of cattle have died across the nation's midsection.
Farmers say they're having a hard time keeping the animals cool.
One farmer in South Dakota has lost nearly a million-dollars and close to half of his herd.
Record heat has been blamed for the deaths of one-thousand cattle in Minnesota.
Farmers may be eligible for federal aid to help cover the loss.

Cattle deaths reported from extreme heat

“We know in South Dakota they’ve had 1,000 to 1,500 cattle lost to this heat,” Grooms said. “It looks like (the hot weather) is going to continue for a couple more days, so we really want people to focus on what they can do to keep those animals alive through this sort of situation.” Farmers can be reimbursed for animals lost in severe weather, including losses due to heat.

Heat wave is especially hard on Nebraska’s cattle herds

Heat wave is especially hard on Nebraska’s cattle herds
July 21, 2011 By Matt Kelley
This week’s extreme heat has killed hundreds of cattle in South Dakota, but as yet, no figures are being released about cattle deaths in Nebraska, where beef is a $10-billion a year industry.

While temps today are a little cooler, the forecast still calls for steamy days ahead. Cattle producer Dal Grooms says cows have an especially difficult time dealing with high temperatures, heavy humidity and a lack of wind.

“Cattle don’t really sweat like some livestock do, they rely completely on respiration,” Grooms explained. “If you’ve walked outside, you know it’s really hard to breathe. Well, it’s really, really hard to breathe for those cattle.”

Hush, now, Glow. Rushbo has officially said that the heat index doesn't exist and the whole heat wave is a figment of demented leftist imagination. From his air conditioned office, of course.

And CO2 causes high pressure how again?

I didn't see anything on the American Institute of "Physicists" website

Hush, now, Glow. Rushbo has officially said that the heat index doesn't exist and the whole heat wave is a figment of demented leftist imagination. From his air conditioned office, of course.

why must you lie?

He said the heat index is STUPID and simply a tool to terrify people when the actual numbers won't do the trick.

It's summer.

It gets hot.

Some summers are really hot.

This summer, here, it has been unseasonably cool and wet.

I'll bet that this winter it's really cold in some places, and unusually mild in others.

Wow, that's news alright.

PS..2000 dead cattle a beef shortage will not make.

If the corn crops fail, and all the surplus has been turned into biofuel, that's another story altogether...

Weather channel must have misreported it. They said it was a high pressure system, did they mean a CO2 system, amiright?

Allie, once again you prove your inability to read with comprehension. The number is well over 2000 in just the three states mentioned. By the time this is over, I expect it will be above ten thousand, and may be multiples of that.

Just got back from a trip through Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota. I saw areas well above the rivers that had standing water in low areas, areas measured by quarter sections. Some several sections. And the crops were dead in the fields where the water was. Mostly grains. Then you have the areas on the flood plains. They are mostly gone. 100s of thousands of acres of cropland that will not yield this year. The Missouri and Mississippi are in full flood at present, and have been since May. And will continue to be until at least September. Provided the area doesn't get a lot more of the rain it has been getting.

Never saw the grass so high or green in July in those states. Unfortunately, they were having a real problem harvesting the hay. One farmer that I talked to had turned the hay he cut three time already, and it was raining when I spoke to him. Said that he had never had such a good crop of hay, and wondered if he could save any of it. Hopefully this spell of heat will not have the persistant thunderstorms that they have had.

Allie, once again you prove your inability to read with comprehension. The number is well over 2000 in just the three states mentioned. By the time this is over, I expect it will be above ten thousand, and may be multiples of that.

Just got back from a trip through Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota. I saw areas well above the rivers that had standing water in low areas, areas measured by quarter sections. Some several sections. And the crops were dead in the fields where the water was. Mostly grains. Then you have the areas on the flood plains. They are mostly gone. 100s of thousands of acres of cropland that will not yield this year. The Missouri and Mississippi are in full flood at present, and have been since May. And will continue to be until at least September. Provided the area doesn't get a lot more of the rain it has been getting.

Never saw the grass so high or green in July in those states. Unfortunately, they were having a real problem harvesting the hay. One farmer that I talked to had turned the hay he cut three time already, and it was raining when I spoke to him. Said that he had never had such a good crop of hay, and wondered if he could save any of it. Hopefully this spell of heat will not have the persistant thunderstorms that they have had.

But the heat wave in the 30's didn't count because it was in the Continental USA, right?

Well, Frankyboy, as I recall, the heat wave of the thirties was not accompanied by a three month flood of the Missouri and Mississippi. Not only that, most of these states were dry, not with a humidity that makes even 90 degrees dangerous to work in.

Flap yap all you want to, boy, the weather has been far from normal right across the US. And for the rest of the world also. And it is the agriculture that is bearing the brunt of the abnormal weather.

Well, Frankyboy, as I recall, the heat wave of the thirties was not accompanied by a three month flood of the Missouri and Mississippi. Not only that, most of these states were dry, not with a humidity that makes even 90 degrees dangerous to work in.

Flap yap all you want to, boy, the weather has been far from normal right across the US. And for the rest of the world also. And it is the agriculture that is bearing the brunt of the abnormal weather.

Why can't you ever give a straight answer?

2 weeks ago you told us the Continental US in the 30's didn't count because it wasn't global and now it does?

Forum List

Back