Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

How is the refusal to allow a child to attend a school where he will be taught that homosexuality is a sin, when he is the son of homosexuals... "punishing the child"??? :eusa_eh:

It sounds to me like these people are more interested in making an activist statement than they are in what's in the best interest of this 8 year-old boy. Being put into a situation that can't help but cause moral conflict certainly isn't serving him. It's serving themselves. According to the OP, they're not even Catholic. One is left to assume, that they're just trying to start some shit, and they're using their KID to do it.

Somebody's got to be the grown-up in the room. Unfortunately for this kid, it wasn't his parents.

They should get a dog next time. Raising kids isn't a hobby or a joke. You have to do what's best for THEM.

so you think teaching this in school will hurt this child???

hell , heathen is easy as shit. You just do anything you feel like and there isn't a big ass book defining your entire belief system.

exactly! although ethics can be a hard taskmaster, at least there's the rational idea of cause and effect that makes them reasonable. I want to "a," but if I do, it will hurt "b," etc.
Take out all the fancy words and magic and religion says the same thing.

No. Ethics have nothing to do with magic, the supernatural, or the subjectivity of religious based morals. Ethics is all cause and effect. One lives a life to their greatest ability so that their actions do not cause harm to come to others as a result of them. Instead of a prescribed set of rules, each situation has to be thought through. It still sucks in a lot of ways, but at least it makes sense.

How is the refusal to allow a child to attend a school where he will be taught that homosexuality is a sin, when he is the son of homosexuals... "punishing the child"??? :eusa_eh:

It sounds to me like these people are more interested in making an activist statement than they are in what's in the best interest of this 8 year-old boy. Being put into a situation that can't help but cause moral conflict certainly isn't serving him. It's serving themselves. According to the OP, they're not even Catholic. One is left to assume, that they're just trying to start some shit, and they're using their KID to do it.

Somebody's got to be the grown-up in the room. Unfortunately for this kid, it wasn't his parents.

They should get a dog next time. Raising kids isn't a hobby or a joke. You have to do what's best for THEM.

Yes. I think it would put him into moral conflict, learning one thing in school and and another at home. I think it could be spiritually confusing since the religious teaching is in direct opposition to what ought to be a natural family loyalty and might affect other aspects of his relationship with God. I think it might even present social conflicts with the other kids, that it could make him uncomfortable sharing the dynamics of his family for fear of criticism.

His well-being should be the FIRST consideration. Not whether or not his parents' chosen lifestyle is acceptable at the neighborhood Catholic elementary school.

p.s. That said, it is NOT incumbent upon the Church to change its teaching. It is what it is. People are free to take it or leave it.

Last edited:
monolithic religion was created by men, for men. In prehistoric times, women were also worshiped as goddesses, and human women had more agency. This did not sit well over time, and them men got together.

Nice fairytale, got any more?

Its classical antiquity. Read a book. Read this book for starters:
Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity by Sarah B. Pomeroy
Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity

Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves

The book, published in 1975 and updated in 1995, remains a classic in the historiography of women's history and classical antiquity. Assigned as required reading for many upper-division history courses, women's studies classes, and graduate school seminars, Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity is also just plain interesting to read for the casual reader.

Pomeroy tries to include women from all classes in the book, but in the Introduction notes the challenge this represents, as most historical documents and materials available from ancient Greece and Rome focuses on the ruling classes, and therefore on those women from the upper classes. In her study of women in classical antiquity, Pomeroy points out, is "most significant to note the consistency with which some attitudes toward women and the roles women play in Western society have endured through the centuries." (xvii)
Women in Classical Antiquity Studied by Pomeroy

With this premise in mind the author examines Greek and Roman mythology for clues about gender roles and attitudes. She analyzes the purpose of marriage by examining Homeric epics, looks at daily life during the Bronze age, and discusses clothing, household goods, and the interweavings of domestic life, social power, and political power for women (or lack thereof) in various classes.

Read more at Suite101: Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity by Sarah B. Pomeroy Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity by Sarah B. Pomeroy
:eusa_doh:

monolithic religion was created by men, for men. In prehistoric times, women were also worshiped as goddesses, and human women had more agency. This did not sit well over time, and them men got together.

Go to any Magazine Stand, or Google "Goddess."

Women are still worshipped as goddesses.

Yes, we are, and in the religious sense as well :lol:

But my point was that monolithic religion sought and in high percentages suppressed the idea of female divinity, and that they did so to suppress human female agency.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

But I doubt it was done so capriciously.

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

Go to any Magazine Stand, or Google "Goddess."

Women are still worshipped as goddesses.

But my point was that monolithic religion sought and in high percentages suppressed the idea of female divinity, and that they did so to suppress human female agency.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other. Maybe they flipped a coin?

We can only really guess. My guess is that strong, intelligent women scare the shit out of most men, making a monotheistic religion based on an omniscient, omnipresent female sky god, probably with large boobies, simply a terrifying prospect.

Hear that sucking sound?

Hear that sucking sound?

coming from your general direction? It sounds wet. You better check that.

Hear that sucking sound?

coming from your general direction? It sounds wet. You better check that.

So you like wet, sloppy kisses.

Hear that sucking sound?

This is your theory?

Frankly, the lack of depth is unimpressive.

i simply cannot believe that people still defend the catholic church with the many revelations that are pouring out about how they hid child abuse. this just proves that the catholic church is control by men for men. all one has to do to see that...is look at the difference in retirements for priests and nuns.

Women just rolled over and allowed this to happen ?
Women outgrew religion. Women had more important things to attend to.

p.s. That said, it is NOT incumbent upon the Church to change its teaching. It is what it is. People are free to take it or leave it.
People should not have a say in their religion? In the how the money they donate to sustain it is spent?

Maybe it's time for the Catholic Church to leave behind it's secretive and dictatorial ways and join the modern world.

Monotheistic religion, by definition, must choose between one gender or the other..

Only because god is made in the image of man or woman, as the case may be. But an all encompassing deity need not necessarily have a gender.

The LEVITE (as in leviticus levite) and the Priest passed by the hurt, left for dead man, on the side of the road, BECAUSE they THOUGHT they were following what God taught, because they THOUGHT they were following Leviticus Rules concerning blood, and the Sabbath etc....while the Samaitan man, one from a tribe that the Holy Jews condemned, ACTUALLY FOLLOWED the WILL of God and HELPED the hurt stranger on the side of the road....

I can give example after example where Christ reprimanded or spoke down to the religious hierarchy for following things like man's interpretation of Leviticus rules....

Leviticus rules called for the STONING of the adulteress....did Christ follow it?
Fiction. There was no Jewish court at the time, therefore, did not and call for anyones stoning.

The nt is filled with anti Jewish venom and attacks on what G-D said.

It's too bad so many gullible believe such nonsense.

i admire your tenacity and religious convictions.... :)

it is possible that the Samaritan story and the Adulteress story were parables....to teach...to clarify God's will in these cases....

They boil down to the golden rule...

Matthew 22:36-40 (New International Version)

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment.

39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

if you are following those 2 things, you are following all the rules of God.... is what Christ taught.

I gotta admire your attempt to be diplomatic.

Actually, it was Rabbi Akiva who came way before jesus, who said the importance of loving your neighbor.

I would say all of the 10 commandments are important.

The loving G-D with all your heart and soul is part of a prayer called the Shma. The Shama, is perhaps the most important prayer in Judaism.

The first line of the prayer contradicts Jesus.

Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One. (that's from the Torah)

Barukh sheim k'vod malkhuto l'olam va'ed.
Blessed be the Name of His glorious kingdom for ever and ever.

V'ahav'ta eit Adonai Elohekha b'khol l'vav'kha uv'khol naf'sh'kha uv'khol m'odekha.
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Deturonomy 6

4. Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God; the Lord is one.
5. And you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your means

Last edited:
Jewish Learning - Be Loving to Your Neighbor as You Would Yourself

Maimonides Hilchot Deot: Laws of Counsel

It is a mitzvah for every human to love each and everyone from Israel as he loves his own body. As it is written, "be-loving to your neighbor (as one) like yourself", therefore one must sing his praises, and show concern for his financial well-being, as he would for his own well-being and as he would for his own honor. Anyone who aggrandizes himself at the expense of another person has no portion in the world to come.

Nachmanides on "Be Loving to Your Neighbor"

The reason behind, "be-loving to your neighbor (as one) like yourself" is in fact an exaggeration for no human's heart can accept loving one's fellow as one loves one's own soul, and furthermore Rabbi Akiva already learned that "your life comes before the life of your friend."

It means that it is a mitzvah to love one's friend through all the good things that he loves himself, and it is possible that since the verse says "to your neighbor" (instead of merely stating "loving one's neighbor like yourself")

The verse is comparing this love to the commandment to love the sojourner (Leviticus 19:34 where it says that yu should be-loving to him as yourself) i.e., to make the love of both comparable in his mind.

For sometimes one loves his neighbor with the things that are known to enhance his material happiness, but not with wisdom, and qualities that are similar to it.

If, however, he loves him and wishes him well with everything he desires. And that his beloved friend should be blessed with happiness, property, honor, knowledge and wisdom, while not comparing himself to his friend, by wishing in his heart that he himself should be more than his friend in all that is good.

For there should not be this kind of petty jealousy, as the verse commands, "like one does for one's self", and thus he should not make limits to his love. Thus it says of Jonathan (regarding David) "He loved him as he loved his soul." (I Samuel 20:17) How? Because he had removed the attribute of jealousy from his heart, and thus the following verse promises , "And you will rule over Israel."

Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 31a

Once there was a gentile who came before Shammai, and said to him: "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot. Shammai pushed him aside with the measuring stick he was holding. The same fellow came before Hillel, and Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

Catholic schools tend to have excellent academic reputations, which is why non-catholics enroll their children in these private schools. The school is private and has controll over who they admit to their school.

IMO it's regrettable that the school chose to make a political statement by refusing to enroll the child of two lesbians. How does the church know whether the women are celibate or not?

Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

i only know what's been reported in the papers. st paul's has no lack of students, which may be part of the issue here. the couple attends a UU church but at least one of them was raised as a catholic. our town has excellent public schools and two other private elementary schools. i think that the couple was blindsided by the late reaction of the pastor. my heart goes out to them, but i come back to my question in the OP. why would you send your kid to a school that believes that you as a person are inherently beyond redemption due to your sexual orientation?

Perhaps to stir up a bit of an uproar and draw attention to themselves...

Not saying it's true, but the fact the papers know about it tells me that there may be something to it...

Bottom line is the Catholic church has every right to deny these people and should never be forced to change their requirements for admission... If people disagree with the church and enough agree with those "disagreements" then they're free to start a new religion...

Worked for Martin Luther...

Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

I bet they would want the kid if mom wasn't around.

Forum List

Back