Catholic reawakening

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20060301/wl_csm/onuns_1

I thought it was an interesting article. I am of the opinion that we are going to see widespread revival among all religious faiths.. Atleast all the religious faiths that require something of people.

When culture comes in sharper contrast to religions that require something of people, those religions tend to grow. I think its because people can see a greater contrast between what the world is like and what those standards are.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20060301/wl_csm/onuns_1

I thought it was an interesting article. I am of the opinion that we are going to see widespread revival among all religious faiths.. Atleast all the religious faiths that require something of people.

When culture comes in sharper contrast to religions that require something of people, those religions tend to grow. I think its because people can see a greater contrast between what the world is like and what those standards are.

I can't quite remember the quote my mom used to say, but something to the effect that, "You never know what you believe, really, until someone threatens to take it away." Well it seems to me that the radical Islamicists are threatening to do just that. I think we may see a revival in belief systems of all stripes, not just Catholics.

I am still surprised by the American Anti-catholicism.

I guess the 30 years war conditioned me well.

Kathianne said:
I can't quite remember the quote my mom used to say, but something to the effect that, "You never know what you believe, really, until someone threatens to take it away." Well it seems to me that the radical Islamicists are threatening to do just that. I think we may see a revival in belief systems of all stripes, not just Catholics.

That is so true Kathainne!!

nosarcasm said:
I am still surprised by the American Anti-catholicism.

I guess the 30 years war conditioned me well.
It shouldn't surprise you at all. Consider the Chick tracts, the right wing psycho fundamentalists (so no fundamentalists think I'm targetting that general group), Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses (they hate Catholics for some reason), and others (mostly anti-papists) are angry because over the past millenia the Catholic church ruled with an iron fist and made shitloads of mistakes no one seems to really be ready to forgive them for.

Considering I used to be Catholic, I still tend to sympathize and defend Catholocism from time to time, but only when I feel it's ultimately necessary.

I am a Pentecostal, and I will defend Catholics quite vehemently. They believe Jesus died for our sins and that his forgiveness is how to get into heaven. I disagree with a lot of other stuff in their doctrine, but I believe that to be inconsequential.

Oh, and I've seen the Chick tracts. That guy's a nutcase. He thinks, and I'm 100% serious, that the base rythm of rock music is laced with druidic enchantments. I don't know what they're supposed to do, but it involves you going to Hell if you listen to it.

Hobbit said:
I am a Pentecostal, and I will defend Catholics quite vehemently. They believe Jesus died for our sins and that his forgiveness is how to get into heaven. I disagree with a lot of other stuff in their doctrine, but I believe that to be inconsequential.

Oh, and I've seen the Chick tracts. That guy's a nutcase. He thinks, and I'm 100% serious, that the base rythm of rock music is laced with druidic enchantments. I don't know what they're supposed to do, but it involves you going to Hell if you listen to it.

Ill defend anyones faith. Even Muslims, so long as they arent trying to kill me.

Hobbit said:

I've heard the same thing. In fact, I saw a website that said that no Christian music should ever contain drums, because drums are of the DEVIL! :dev3:

gop_jeff said:
I've heard the same thing. In fact, I saw a website that said that no Christian music should ever contain drums, because drums are of the DEVIL! :dev3:
I met a guy once who told me that Amy Grant was going to Hell because she made some pop music along with her Christian stuff. Oh, and I was going to Hell if I listened to her.

mom4 said:
I met a guy once who told me that Amy Grant was going to Hell because she made some pop music along with her Christian stuff. Oh, and I was going to Hell if I listened to her.

And yet Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine. And since there has historically been music at life's celebrations, I wonder if there were drums at that wedding in Cana.

cana.jpg

mom4 said:

I once had a woman try to convince me that God prohibited people from using music period. Especially for worship. I was alittle dumbfounded because i was like um most of the Pslams were songs. What the heck?!

Forum List

Back