Catholic League Warns Obama to Start Speaking Out Against Church Ills

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nate Peele, May 31, 2008.

1. Nate Peele

Nate Peele Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Following a week in which Barack Obama was both praised and attacked from the pulpit by Catholic Priests The Catholic League is now attacking Obama for which priests he associates with. In the invocation at the New YorkState Republican Party Dinner, Monsignor Jim Lisante mocked Obama. On the same day video surfaced of Father Michael Phleger preaching at Obama’s church mocking Hillary Clinton. Obama immediately condemmed the remarks and Phleger apologized, however the Catholic League sees things differently.

The Catholic League who is sort of the Catholic equivalent of the Justice League, but without superpowers. “Why is it that of all the wonderful Catholic priests in the Chicago Archdiocese, Obama long ago chose Pfleger to hang with?” Catholic League President Bill Donohue said in a statement. “Truth be known, Pfleger has a very troubling history.”

With such a troubling history it almost seems like there should be some kind of authority that could discipline and remove bad priests. Unfortunately, if you’re looking for discipline or a hierarchical structure the Catholic Church is the wrong place. Obama should have personally attempted to get Phleger defrocked since it was clear nobody in the Catholic Church had that kind of authority.

Members of the Catholic League also found it troubling that in his public life Obama has done nothing to tackle issues of Canon Law such as the ordination of women or married priests. Obama likewise has a lackluster record on doing anything to prevent the church sexual abuse scandal of recent years. Nor has Obama distanced himself from controversial church practices of the past such as indulgences, the inquisition, and perceived anti-semitism.

With Obama clearly unwilling to take on issues such as these which are important to Catholics there can be no doubt he will be stung hard by their votes in the Fall. I have never been a big fan of Papists myself, but I find myself totally agreeing with them in this case.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    We're electing a President, not a Pope.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Dude, I'm starting to wonder if you are actually conservative. Your thread all have that "Bush lied ..." theme to them.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm all for beating on Obama. I will not however lower myself to the tactics of the opposition by fabricating shit.

Who is the Catholic League and who gives a shit what they think?

I can see questioning Obama over HIS church and HIS pastor. But for which particular Catholic priest he talks to?

Do you think there is some significance to choosing checkout #10 as opposed to checkout #9 at WalMart? I think it's a conspiracy designed by Obama to allow WalMart to take over the government.:shock:

4. TheGoodShepherd

TheGoodShepherd BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just wondering when Catholic Obama critics are going to quit the Catholic Church. Zany preachers do not even compare to Priests who not only molest little children, but an institution that throughout the decades covered it up.

And btw, this story helps the Obama campaign a lot more than it hurts him.

How?

Easy...just another chance to play the race card again in reaction to those who would play the race card and think they can beat the black man - again.

This is a story all about race, and anytime its made about race the minority candidate wins nine times out of ten.

The McCain campaign has figured this out and has tended to reserve fiery rhetoric towards this issue. I think the McCain camp realizes pastor problems - especially concerning the black church - is a fight thats not wanted at all and can only hurt the Mav.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,299
    Obama has also been reluctant to call for an end to English masses. No where have we heard him invoke Latin in his talks to Catholics. Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccáta mundi, miserére nobis.

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,089
    I understand that Obama was a confident of Cardinal Ximenes.

7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yah think?

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    I pegged the guy for a troll from his first post.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I doubt he's a troll. He's got his own blog site with like zero traffic. He probably just doesn't know how bad he sucks at this blogging stuff and is trying really hard to come up with something of substance.

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    He isn't a troll. His posts aren't exactly honest, but they are fairly amusing and on point satire. He is making rational points, even if he is doing so in an indirect way and you don't realize them.