Catholic leader rejects 'Jewish state'

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Israel's identity as a Jewish state discriminates against non-Jews, the Holy Land's top Roman Catholic clergyman said in a pre-Christmas address on Wednesday.

"If there's a state of one religion, other religions are naturally discriminated against," Latin Patriarch Michel Sabbah told reporters at the annual press conference he holds in Jerusalem before the Christian holiday.

In his address, which he read in Arabic and English, Sabbah said Israel should abandon its Jewish character in favor of a "political, normal state for Christians, Muslims and Jews."

"This land cannot be exclusive for anyone," he said.

With his statements Wednesday, Sabbah, a longtime advocate of the Palestinian cause, waded into a debate that has marred the fledgling peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.

Israel has defined itself as the homeland of the Jewish people since it was established in 1948. The Palestinians, however, refuse to recognize Israel as a Jewish state, saying that would mean Palestinian refugees who lost their homes after Israel's creation would not have the right to return.

Israel opposes any return of refugees, for fear they would eventually outnumber the Jewish majority. Israeli leaders recently demanded that Palestinians recognize Israel's Jewish character as part of peace talks that got under way last week, but the Palestinians have rejected the call.

Aryeh Mekel, a spokesman for Israel's foreign ministry, had no immediate comment.

Sabbah, who has been the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem since 1987, is the first Palestinian to hold the post and is frequently critical of Israel.

He also lashed out at Israel for visa restrictions he said were unfair to Christian clergy. "A state in this land must...be open to welcoming to all believers of other religions," he said.

According to the Jerusalem Center for Jewish-Christian Relations, there are an estimated 170,000 Christians in Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1196847383057&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

I guess I could say I told you so but who wants to hear that from an aparent jew hating dirty ass goyim? Catholics probably generally hate jews anyway (right, dr. gump?)

The Catholic church has always said that. When their religion isn't the primary religion, of course.

thankfully, the history of stupid catholics is an acceptable strawman while the history of stupid...

Indeed, there probably isn't a humanitarian concern over the state marginalization of minority religions. I mean, who needs to learn lessons from history anyway?

NaziPriestsSaluteHitler.jpg

I guess I could say I told you so but who wants to hear that from an aparent jew hating dirty ass goyim? Catholics probably generally hate jews anyway (right, dr. gump?)

What is your point in this thread?

Why would you say Catholics hate Jews? In the area I live, the Jews use the Catholic school gym, and the Catholics use the Jewish centers pool...

Thats far from hatred, as a matter of fact I have never seen two opposites so tolerant and accepting as Jews and Catholics are of each other...

The point is exactly what was written in the first post. Are you looking for boogeyman jew haters to plaster a label to?

It's clear, if Catholics can't have a western CATHOLIC nation and can recognize how christianity will be shat upon in a jewish favoring israel UNLIKE other western nations where there is not a dogma requirement...

I'm shocked that you didn't play your other card.. You know, the one where you remind everyone that Catholics have a long history of hating jews.

I agree with the catholic clergyman 100%... Isreal is a holy land to many religions...

But hey.... I still believe the Jews never should of been given the state in the first place....

As far as your thread goes, and your assinine Catholics hate everybody mentality... they are both bullshit and it shows by the thread activity...

One thing for sure... More people have died on this planet in the name of the secular beliefs that you embrace than will ever die in the name of religion....

Forum List

Back