Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum on same-sex marriage issue - washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Oh, but it gets more fucked up as to why they are not supporting it:

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

And my own personal question:

Is The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington returning to the days of old by trying to strong arm people into believing what they say?

No, the Catholic Church is remaining true to its own doctines. Perhaps you could mind your own fucking business and let Catholics worry about their faith? Just an idea.

No, the Catholic Church is remaining true to its own doctines. Perhaps you could mind your own fucking business and let Catholics worry about their faith? Just an idea.

I'm a Catholic, and I find this wrong.

As for their doctrine, there is about two or three verses in the Bible about Gays. There's at least a hundred about helping the poor. Which takes more precedence?

Last edited:

Good post! :D

I'm always entertained by people who seem to have absolutely no understanding of religions whining about what they think a particular religion should do. The Catholic Church is free to choose to support or not support whatever it deems appropriate. It is no one else's business but Catholics.

I'm always entertained by people who seem to have absolutely no understanding of religions whining about what they think a particular religion should do. The Catholic Church is free to choose to support or not support whatever it deems appropriate. It is no one else's business but Catholics.

Again, I'm a Catholic. And if Jesus saw this sort of behavior, he'd be acting in the same manner when he found the moneylenders in the church.

Then you aren't much of a Catholic :doubt:

Question my faith? Take a hike Sunni. We all know you'll agree with the ladies here, especially with your stances towards Gays. I'm sure you would still love to see them all killed.

Then you aren't much of a Catholic :doubt:

Question my faith? Take a hike Sunni. We all know you'll agree with the ladies here, especially with your stances towards Gays. I'm sure you would still love to see them all killed.

If you're a Catholic then you accept the teachings of the Catholic Church. I suspect your 'Catholism' is little more than a baptisimal certificate and not based on any real understanding of the doctrines of the Church.

If you are a Catholic, you should know about how much the Church does for the poor across the world.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum on same-sex marriage issue - washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.
Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers.
So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

Is The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington returning to the days of old by trying to strong arm people into believing what they say?
They are going to punish the poor because of something that is beyond the control of poor?

I think they are bluffing. If not, they have become the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Again, I'm a Catholic. And if Jesus saw this sort of behavior, he'd be acting in the same manner when he found the moneylenders in the church.

I think it's very funny that you think you know what Jesus would do.

I personally believe that the stance the church is taking is wrong, but I think Robert's take on this is wrong as well.

Catholic Charities is informing the District that its policies infringe upon the separation of church and state and that by the Diocese's reading of the new law they would feel compelled to stop serving the poor in the district.

Personally, I don't believe Jesus would exclude any sinner at all and would open the doors, yes! even to homosexuals! I always thought that Catholic Charities was available to everyone Catholic or not: sinner or not! So, why this stance?

However, it is completely within their rights to say that they will pull out of the District if this law is passed.

Immie

If you're a Catholic then you accept the teachings of the Catholic Church. I suspect your 'Catholism' is little more than a baptisimal certificate and not based on any real understanding of the doctrines of the Church.

If you are a Catholic, you should know about how much the Church does for the poor across the world.

I guess those twelve years of going to classes every wednesday, and church every sunday really means nothing in your book? Neither does getting confirmed I suppose.

I'm a Catholic and I know all about what the Church does for the poor across the world. I never argued against that, you're taking my argument out of context. If you actually read the bible (instead of just pointing to it to support your argument) then you'll see what Jesus among others say on the issue of wealth, poverty, and giving.

Proverbs 29:7

7 The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Proverbs 22:9

9 A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.

Matthew 6:19-21

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

And this one is especially important:

Luke 6:35

35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Now where does in say in that verse to take away your donations to the poor to punish people for supporting the Gays?

In fact, give me one verse that supports what you and the church support.

I personally believe that the stance the church is taking is wrong, but I think Robert's take on this is wrong as well.

Catholic Charities is informing the District that its policies infringe upon the separation of church and state and that by the Diocese's reading of the new law they would feel compelled to stop serving the poor in the district.

Personally, I don't believe Jesus would exclude any sinner at all and would open the doors, yes! even to homosexuals! I always thought that Catholic Charities was available to everyone Catholic or not: sinner or not! So, why this stance?

However, it is completely within their rights to say that they will pull out of the District if this law is passed.

Immie

You mistook my argument. Legally? They have a right to pull out. Morally? It's scummy.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

They are going to punish the poor because of something that is beyond the control of poor?

I think they are bluffing. If not, they have become the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

The Church is not in the habit of 'bluffing'. They just stick to their doctrine. Anything else would make them hypocritical. Whether you agree with the Church or not is of no importance.... it is their doctrine and that's how they function. It's fundamental doctrines do not change... it's not a flexible faith.

Immie
Yes, it is within their rights but I think this is really, really hypocritical and just plain wrong.

I always give money to Catholic charities because I admire their work but this will make me think it over.

Immie

You mistook my argument. Legally? They have a right to pull out. Morally? It's scummy.

And I would agree with you although, I would be leary in using "scummy" when discussing the Body of Christ. :D

I think Ravi is so right when she says, "They are going to punish the poor because of something that is beyond the control of poor?"

Immie

The Church is not in the habit of 'bluffing'. They just stick to their doctrine. Anything else would make them hypocritical. Whether you agree with the Church or not is of no importance.... it is their doctrine and that's how they function. It's fundamental doctrines do not change... it's not a flexible faith.

Sure it is, if it wasn't then the first time you talked to your parents they had the right to stone you to death. In fact, if you broke any of the 10 commandments ever, then you should be put to death. So if you say "god damn"? Death.

You should actually go back and read the bible in which the 10 commandments were stated. It's in Deuteronomy and Exodus, just to cut down on your search time.

The church has become more humane because they have figured out that the best way to keep followers is to not kill them. Look at the history of the Catholic Church, it's a dark one.

Clearly, the catholic church should be allowed to marginalize ******* too as long as they have some charity work to hold over someone's head. Let them learn the same lesson they did about adoption agencies. Jesus didn't relegate help according to who was the most pious and like his example. This is nothing more than the same behaviour by the same church who gave us all those neat little historic examples of what happens when a group of dogma junkies try to exert more cultural control than they deserve.

Indeed, let them stop being charitable. It's not DC's demand that they be charitable and help their fellows; thus sayeth the LOward.

Forum List

Back