Catholic Bishops Oppose Compromise on Birth-Control

This is good for the president. It puts him on the right side of the issue at every level,

birth control in general, making birth control available, and being the one willing to compromise vs. some scary extremists in the bowels of the Catholic church hierarchy.

Obama is on the left side of every issue, which is why he is usually on the wrong side, just like he is here.

By the way, if you think this is a compromise you are even dumber than Obama thinks you are, which is pretty fracking dumb.

If you struggle to deal with your intellectual superior, you might want to try the 'ignore' feature provided by the board. Just an idea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A smart person doesn't have to sell it as hard as you do. Billy Mayes couldn't sell some of the crap you try to pawn off as "intellectual".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeeez, for a minute, I mistook you for TeaPartySamuri.

Since he seems to have difficulty focusing on the topic, and keeps insisting on focusing on me, it was a natural conclusion to make.

Got an ax to grind? :lol:

Well...yes and no...:lol:

Regardless of your religion or lack thereof, regardless of the transgressions of priests of any church, regardless of what YOU think....

...the government should stay out of religious matters. Obama has stepped on his own dick.

I hope he loses ALL of the Catholic votes on this matter. He is no different from the Chinese ruler telling his people they can have only one child per family...this after a history of killing off MILLIONS of citizens.

Obama's "compromise" is nothing but a shell game regarding who pays for something the church doesn't want to support.

The Church's position is a lie. Catholic businesses have been complying with state versions of this same requirement for years.

There is no 'conscience' or 'doctrine' prohibition to this in the Catholic Church, period.

The more this issue drags on, the more the general public will see that. And since the general public is already strongly on the President's side for the insurance in the first place,

Obama has this issue by the balls. He cannot help but win, in the long run.

That is the actual lie in this discussion, but feel free to keep repeating it, it gives me an excuse to use Chris Matthews to prove you wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59UTGDZ6qI&feature=player_embedded]Matthews Scolds Heilemann For Regurgitating Incorrect WH Talking Pts On Catholic Contraception Issue - YouTube[/ame]

You know, this really isn't about the Catholic church. It's about the first amendment. You either support it or you make excuses to break it......

Can't get much simpler than that.....

The Federal Government said poligamy was illegal. Why was that ok?

Because the federal government abused its power to persecute an unpopular religion and there were not enough people to stand up and defend them. That was wrong, this is wrong. End of conversation.

I never said it was. Never looked into it either. Good subject for another thread.......

Well you seem to think this is a first amendment issue. If the government can pass a law saying poligamy is illegal, they certainly can pass a law that says healthcare providers must provide birth control if they are going to be in the business of providing healthcare. They can't let their religion get in the way of other people's healthcare.

Or is it that the insurance companies just don't want to offer the service that costs $800 per woman each year? My guess is that this is a money thing, not constitutional at all. Sure you could make an argument, but you would lose.

But we didn't want to offend Catholics because they do a lot of good with those hospitals and we want their votes so instead we said the insurance companies must provide it. So now it is not a constitutional issue. The Catholic organizations are obsolved of having anything to do with providing rubbers.

The federal government once passed a law that said slavery was legal, and they forced states that opposed that law to send slaves back to their "legal" owners. Just because the government has done something does not mean they should do it again.

Regardless of your religion or lack thereof, regardless of the transgressions of priests of any church, regardless of what YOU think....

...the government should stay out of religious matters. Obama has stepped on his own dick.

I hope he loses ALL of the Catholic votes on this matter. He is no different from the Chinese ruler telling his people they can have only one child per family...this after a history of killing off MILLIONS of citizens.

Obama's "compromise" is nothing but a shell game regarding who pays for something the church doesn't want to support.

The Church's position is a lie. Catholic businesses have been complying with state versions of this same requirement for years.

There is no 'conscience' or 'doctrine' prohibition to this in the Catholic Church, period.

The more this issue drags on, the more the general public will see that. And since the general public is already strongly on the President's side for the insurance in the first place,

That is the actual lie in this discussion, but feel free to keep repeating it, it gives me an excuse to use Chris Matthews to prove you wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59UTGDZ6qI&feature=player_embedded]Matthews Scolds Heilemann For Regurgitating Incorrect WH Talking Pts On Catholic Contraception Issue - YouTube[/ame]

:eek: I so did not see this one coming.... Chris Matthews hates Obama?

:lol:

Well, we know that's not gonna stop the left from repeating that bullshit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

The White House lied. Get used to it Liberals. :eek:

You know, this really isn't about the Catholic church. It's about the first amendment. You either support it or you make excuses to break it......

Can't get much simpler than that.....

Because the federal government abused its power to persecute an unpopular religion and there were not enough people to stand up and defend them. That was wrong, this is wrong. End of conversation.

Only on the left do two wrongs equal a right... two wrongs destroy a right though... the right endowed by our creator.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59UTGDZ6qI&feature=player_embedded"]Matthews Scolds Heilemann For Regurgitating Incorrect WH Talking Pts On Catholic Contraception Issue - YouTube[/ame]

Well, we know that's not gonna stop the left from repeating that bullshit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I know, but the more I see it, the more I get to post Chris saying they are wrong. The most stringent state law is the one in Hawaii, and the church has no problem there because it simply lets the insurance company offer them the coverage with a co pay.

Matthews Scolds Heilemann For Regurgitating Incorrect WH Talking Pts On Catholic Contraception Issue - YouTube

I know, but the more I see it, the more I get to post Chris saying they are wrong. The most stringent state law is the one in Hawaii, and the church has no problem there because it simply lets the insurance company offer them the coverage with a co pay.

This could be a 'lesson learned' opportunity for people who accept blindly what the media tells them. As Jefferson said "Question, with boldness, even the very existence of God". People should learn to question their sources... investigate the accuracy of their media's 'facts'.

I did... dug around and found a bunch of state laws that the left were claiming were 'exactly the same'.... not one of them was.... and I was called a liar for that. And they wonder why I call them stupid? Well, I call it stupid when I see stupid.

Only on the left do two wrongs equal a right... two wrongs destroy a right though... the right endowed by our creator.

Some of these idiots don't even understand that they are actually supporting a lot of things they have serious problems with when they argue the way they do. Didn't the government once pass a law saying it was legal to lock up people because they were Japanese? Does that mean they can pass one locking up people because they are gay?

Some of these idiots don't even understand that they are actually supporting a lot of things they have serious problems with when they argue the way they do. Didn't the government once pass a law saying it was legal to lock up people because they were Japanese? Does that mean they can pass one locking up people because they are gay?

You're preaching to the choir! I absolutely agree. There is a fundamental lack of critical thought with many posters - and that's not just on the left, sadly. It's bi-partisan.

As I said, two wrongs do not equal a right - but if we keep accepting the wrongs, soon there will be no rights - those endowed by our creator, that is. And the left don't seem to care. Odd.

they saw thru it naturally....and the actual entity that picks up the check, since when has that mattered to the gov.?...we all know who that will be in the end...

* FEBRUARY 11, 2012, 1:17 P.M. ET

Catholic Bishops Oppose Compromise on Birth-Control Insurance

Catholic bishops said Friday night that they would not support the Obama administration's proposed compromise on a controversial rule that requires most employers to fully cover contraception in their workers' health plans.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, which had led opposition to the regulation, issued a statement saying that they didn't believe their concerns were addressed by a new policy offered by President Barack Obama on Friday morning to allow religious employers who object to the use of birth control to turn over responsibility for covering it to insurance companies.

Under the new policy, religious employers that don't want to offer contraception could exclude it from their policies. Insurance companies instead would be required to provide access to contraception for plan participants who wanted it, without explicitly charging either the religious employer or worker.

The shift is intended to ensure that women working at religious hospitals, schools and charities who want to use contraception can obtain it in the same way as women who work for secular employers. It also means the cost of providing the coverage for those women is likely to be spread across all policyholders by insurers.

The bishops had earlier expressed cautious optimism about the announcement, saying that it was "a first step in the right direction" but that they would have to study it.

In their later statement, they said they still had "serious moral concerns," noting that the proposal didn't contain provisions for religious employers who self-insure, meaning the employer takes on the underlying risk of covering employees' health care.

The bishops also said that the current structure of the proposal meant that if an employee and insurer agreed to add contraception coverage to a health plan, it would still be financed in the same way as the rest of the coverage offered by the employer.

"These changes require careful moral analysis, and moreover, appear subject to some measure of change. But we note at the outset that the lack of clear protection... is unacceptable and must be corrected," the statement said.

more at-
Catholic Bishops Oppose Obama Compromise on Birth-Control Insurance - WSJ.com
Obama has not the power to make such decisions on his own outside the Constitution...period.

Refuse compromise. Isn't that the name of the game in today's world?

This just goes to show that it was never about first amendment rights or expecting the church to do something it was morally opposed to. This is about the church trying to force it's ideology on people, whether the people want it or not.

The internment of Japanese-Americans was done by executive order, not by legislation, so it wasn't a "Law". It does demonstrate that "rights" are largely an illusion, though.

Now, if someone was forcing Catholics to take birth control in a Eugenics program to rid the world of stupid people, yeah, you might have a point about this being a violation of the law or rights.

But saying a business has to meet certain minimum standards. Sorry, not a violation of rights at all.

A majority of U.S. Catholics, according to a new poll by the Public Religion Research Institute, support the Obama administration's regulations requiring the coverage, without co-pay, of birth-control by employer-provided health benefit programs -- even when the employer is a hospital or university affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.

Here's how it breaks down, according to the post on the PRRI Web site:

Roughly 6-in-10 Catholics (58%) believe that employers should be required to provide their employees with health care plans that cover contraception.
Poll: Defying Bishops, Catholics Support Obama Birth Control Rules | AlterNet

I agree with the Obama admin, as do the majority of catholics in the country. I don't see any move against religious freedom. The patrons or parishioners of the catholic church voluntarily attend services on Sunday, and they are all (with a very few exceptions) members of the faith. The catholic church does not have to provide birth control coverage to its "church workers", such as employees of the archdiocese offices (there are many lay employees there), nor in the local church parishes (and there are paid lay employees there). These are, as far as I am aware, always catholics who believe and support the faith, performing job that directly support the doctrine of the church. So, when the church is clearly acting as the church, they ARE FREE to not provide birth control coverage on their insurance.

The catholic church also operates hospitals and universities. This is a very different situation. Neither a hospital nor a university is a church. They routinely accept people at their hospital or school who are NOT catholic. They employ workers who are NOT catholic. The primary mission of the hospital and school is NOT the transmission of church dogma. The mission of the hospital is to heal the sick and the mission of the school is to educate people (not about church dogma either).

In these cases, hospitals and schools, the church manages the affairs of the institution, but the INSTITUTION IS NOT A CHURCH. Now, the church is an employer just like everyone else.

It is not correct for the church to accept non-catholic employees to perform a job that has nothing to do with the transmission of church dogma, and to force its religious beliefs down that employees throat.

The church is free to follow its dogma and specify policies to its members working inside the church, but when it leaves its role behind and enters secular endeavors, it needs to be governed by secular rules.

At a catholic university, if you are a catholic woman, you are offered free birth control by your insurance plan, there is no rule that you must use it. Nobody is saying you have to violate church policy. Just say no, and all is ok between you and the church. I see no violation of religious freedom here at all.

Last edited:
they saw thru it naturally....and the actual entity that picks up the check, since when has that mattered to the gov.?...we all know who that will be in the end...

* FEBRUARY 11, 2012, 1:17 P.M. ET

Catholic Bishops Oppose Compromise on Birth-Control Insurance

Catholic bishops said Friday night that they would not support the Obama administration's proposed compromise on a controversial rule that requires most employers to fully cover contraception in their workers' health plans.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, which had led opposition to the regulation, issued a statement saying that they didn't believe their concerns were addressed by a new policy offered by President Barack Obama on Friday morning to allow religious employers who object to the use of birth control to turn over responsibility for covering it to insurance companies.

Under the new policy, religious employers that don't want to offer contraception could exclude it from their policies. Insurance companies instead would be required to provide access to contraception for plan participants who wanted it, without explicitly charging either the religious employer or worker.

The shift is intended to ensure that women working at religious hospitals, schools and charities who want to use contraception can obtain it in the same way as women who work for secular employers. It also means the cost of providing the coverage for those women is likely to be spread across all policyholders by insurers.

The bishops had earlier expressed cautious optimism about the announcement, saying that it was "a first step in the right direction" but that they would have to study it.

In their later statement, they said they still had "serious moral concerns," noting that the proposal didn't contain provisions for religious employers who self-insure, meaning the employer takes on the underlying risk of covering employees' health care.

The bishops also said that the current structure of the proposal meant that if an employee and insurer agreed to add contraception coverage to a health plan, it would still be financed in the same way as the rest of the coverage offered by the employer.

"These changes require careful moral analysis, and moreover, appear subject to some measure of change. But we note at the outset that the lack of clear protection... is unacceptable and must be corrected," the statement said.

more at-
Catholic Bishops Oppose Obama Compromise on Birth-Control Insurance - WSJ.com
They should use the money they receive from taxpayers to pay for the pill. That way they won't have to get their hands dirty.

btw, is Viagra covered for Catholics?

Forum List

Back