Caterpillar is Closing Shop IN ILLINOIS!!!

So, Catipillar stays in Illinois all of these years reaping the benefits of being in that state. And now, when the state needs Catipillar, they threaten to run away.

Hold up, are you saying one of the largest employers in the state year in and out owes something to Illinois? One of the largest MANUFACTURING employers in the the country owes something IL!

Brother you have it the wrong way. We owe something to Caterpillar for providing so many HIGH PAYING manufacturing jobs to so many Illinoisian for so long. It is the IL government that is being the ungrateful bastards, not the employers of Illinois!

So, Catipillar stays in Illinois all of these years reaping the benefits of being in that state. And now, when the state needs Catipillar, they threaten to run away.

Not just corporations, which have a responsibility to stockholders, but also individuals. My last pay stub, covered 3/1-3/15:

Earnings: 880.00
Teachers health Ins Services, (I don't qualify for benefits, just deductions) -7.74
Teachers Retirement system (Right now I qualify for about $50 mo) -88.72
Teacher Medicare -12.76
IL Income Tax -35.31
Fed Income Tax -64.43

So I net 677.06 out of 880.

No health care. Don't qualify for food stamps. Go figure. I'd much rather deal with the smaller government, no handouts type of thinking.

Just another unfortunate example of U.S. jobs winding up overseas.

Overseas then we could all complain. This is over a state border! So most Illinoisian can complain. Americans from Indiana (in Caterpillars case), Wisconsin, New Jersey and Missouri in the other C Corps leaving the state.

The only redeeming value in this story is at least conservative Americans are reaping the benefits!

Just another unfortunate example of U.S. jobs winding up overseas.

Overseas then we could all complain. This is over a state border! So most Illinoisian can complain. Americans from Indiana (in Caterpillars case), Wisconsin, New Jersey and Missouri in the other C Corps leaving the state.

The only redeeming value in this story is at least conservative Americans are reaping the benefits!

Thanks for the rep. I forgot to mention that check stub is from one of two districts I sub for in DuPage County, IL. I was posting part of the reason that both my resumes are going out to other states, as well as applications for reciprocal certification. I'd be thrilled to be hired in Indiana, close to my kids, but much better tax wise.

Last edited:
I know for sure that the same lobbyists who lured Boeing from Seattle to Charleston, SC are probably on the next flight to Illinois.

Just in recent years, South Carolina has landed major corporate hauls such as BMW, Boeing, Google, Southwest Air, etc. Low tax, no union labor. Beautiful weather and beaches. It's a no brainer. And us Sandlappers are more than happy to welcome them....and their jobs...to the Palmetto State.

Not just corporations, which have a responsibility to stockholders, but also individuals. My last pay stub, covered 3/1-3/15:

Earnings: 880.00
Teachers health Ins Services, (I don't qualify for benefits, just deductions) -7.74
Teachers Retirement system (Right now I qualify for about $50 mo) -88.72
Teacher Medicare -12.76
IL Income Tax -35.31
Fed Income Tax -64.43

So I net 677.06 out of 880.

No health care. Don't qualify for food stamps. Go figure. I'd much rather deal with the smaller government, no handouts type of thinking.

Damn, they hit you hard.

Back when I worked as a cop, my 2-week checks were typically $1600, give or take a few for overtime. After taxes, I took hom about $1070. And, that wasn't enough to live off of. SO...like most cops I picked up an "off duty" job at the mall or local place that would hire a cop to walk around for security and pay them. When you see uniformed cops at the mall or movie theatre, thats what they are doing.

And as a result of earning an extra 2-3K a year by working on my days off, I was told I just pushed myself into the next tax bracket, and ended up owing about $500 a year BACK to the government.

Meanwhile, many of the people in the neighborhoods I worked drove a nice car, had nice clothes, expensive phones and TVs and video games......but no job. Got food stamps, welfare, free housing. I often thought "Are THEY smarter than me? I mean damn, they live better than I do in a lot of ways and without having to work!!"

If Illinois valued Catapillar and the jobs they provide they would not have threatened to raise their taxes.. now would they?

Geez....listen to all of you "experts" on Illinois.

First......Even with the recent tax increase Illinois is still lower than may, if not most states. It's middle of the road as far as income tax goes.

Illinois Income Tax Increase: Legislature Approves 66% Tax Hike

The rate increase might be the biggest any state has adopted in percentage terms while grappling with recent economic woes. Nevertheless, Illinois' tax rate would remain lower than in several other states in the region.

Go ahead. See how your state compares......

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf

Second....Since CAT broke the union the average starting wage is around $12 an hour and NO BENEFITS. If they move elsewhere just how much will they pay YOUR citizens? $10 an hour? Of course, "Tennessee Jim-Bob" down to the trailer park will probably be thrilled with $10 an hour.

So don't make more of this than what's there.

It's stunning the ideological differences on this thread. For example, one person said that Cat has been in Illinois "reaping the benefits" of all these years, and now cuts and runs when "Illinois needs them".

Thats a stark difference. See, no one OWES the government. No person, no company. Thats a big difference. The gov't is here to protect us from violence, and have modest regulation of other activity. But we're not indebted to our government. Thats call freedom. Catepillar owes the government of Illinois nothing. Illinois' job is to protect Catepillar's people and property. They did that. Now, Cat's people are FREE to go or stay. And they are enjoying their freedom. Illinois' job is not to protect people and property of those who remain, as it's always been.

No person OWES their government shit. We owe only the reasonable tax that we as a society tolerate for a modest, functioning government. Of course, "reasonable" and "modest" have changed.

First......Even with the recent tax increase Illinois is still lower than may, if not most states. It's middle of the road as far as income tax goes.

The rate increase might be the biggest any state has adopted in percentage terms while grappling with recent economic woes. Nevertheless, Illinois' tax rate would remain lower than in several other states in the region.

Second....Since CAT broke the union the average starting wage is around $12 an hour and NO BENEFITS. If they move elsewhere just how much will they pay YOUR citizens? $10 an hour? Of course, "Tennessee Jim-Bob" down to the trailer park will probably be thrilled with $10 an hour.

My state has ZERO State Income Tax.. ZERO.. Next!

It's stunning the ideological differences on this thread. For example, one person said that Cat has been in Illinois "reaping the benefits" of all these years, and now cuts and runs when "Illinois needs them".

Thats a stark difference. See, no one OWES the government. No person, no company. Thats a big difference. The gov't is here to protect us from violence, and have modest regulation of other activity. But we're not indebted to our government. Thats call freedom. Catepillar owes the government of Illinois nothing. Illinois' job is to protect Catepillar's people and property. They did that. Now, Cat's people are FREE to go or stay. And they are enjoying their freedom. Illinois' job is not to protect people and property of those who remain, as it's always been.

No person OWES their government shit. We owe only the reasonable tax that we as a society tolerate for a modest, functioning government. Of course, "reasonable" and "modest" have changed.

In 2009, IL ranked 30th. That didn't include local county and city taxes, which would have propelled Cook and other collar counties far ahead of the pact. Obviously it was before the tax hike of 2011:

Tax rates: Where does your state rank? - Apr. 14, 2009

Thats a stark difference. See, no one OWES the government. No person, no company. Thats a big difference. The gov't is here to protect us from violence, and have modest regulation of other activity. But we're not indebted to our government. Thats call freedom. Catepillar owes the government of Illinois nothing.

"Illinois" is not the same as "the Illinois state government." Is that the ideological difference you're speaking of?

And that state would be.....

Caterpillar had already announced that they would build a plant in china to make a certain class of excavators.

* SEPTEMBER 29, 2010

Caterpillar to Build New Plant in China

CHICAGO—Caterpillar Inc. said Tuesday it will build a new assembly plant in China to produce small hydraulic excavators as the company continues to expand its production capacity in developing regions.

snip-
Construction of the plant in Wujiang is expected to begin by the end of the year, with excavator production scheduled to start in 2012. Caterpillar, the world's largest manufacturer of construction equipment by sales, has supplied the Chinese market with excavators weighing less than eight tons from plants in Xuzhou, China, and Sagami, Japan.

"China is the world's largest market for excavators in the below eight-ton class," said Mary Bell, vice president of Caterpillar's Building Construction Products division, which is responsible for the company's compact machinery lines.

more at-
Caterpillar to Build Plant in China for Small Excavators - WSJ.com

And that state would be.....

Just what I thought. No answer. Where in the hell are all these supposed Illinois experts? Hiding now?

Several states don't have income taxes. Washington and Florida are ones that come to mind.
Just because a state lacks an income tax does not mean they won't find some other way to screw you.

Several states don't have income taxes. Washington and Florida are ones that come to mind.
Just because a state lacks an income tax does not mean they won't find some other way to screw you.

take a look at the link that lists the states and their tax rates. La Bron somebody or another left Ohio and came to Fla. for a reason.

Forum List

Back