Catalonia breaking up Spain -- Monday 10/9

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Circe, Oct 4, 2017.

1. iceberg

iceberg Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    Thank you for the positive contribution to the thread. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,565
    I agree on the Vegas part especially. I have been trying to avoid those threads as much as possible. So much emotion, paranoid delusions & lack of facts make any discussion near impossible.

3. iceberg

iceberg Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    far too many are making what happened fit their personal agenda.

this world, much less vegas, isn't about me. it's about all of us and we lost sight of that along the way.

sucks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Secession is often an issue of homogeneity, the Wilsonian basis for nationstates. The 1918 idea that a nation must be homogeneous to be strong has obviously been overwhelmed by the flood of immigrants into America and Europe, too often illegally.

Europe is in a much worse situation from the illegals than even we are, with rape and terrorism rampant everywhere and often. I do not understand the basis of the surprising and fast Catalonia rebellion: does it have to do with illegal immigration? Or something else?

I look at how fast this serious secession movement exploded and I wonder if this is what will happen in America, as a disgusted Midwest and South move to protect their culture from the leftwing coasts.

5. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +243
    This is really serious. Drat, now I have to boot reading the history of the Spanish Civil War in the '30s up higher on the list. Maybe to the top, and I'm still trying to get to "The Impossible State" on North Korea! Richard Haass wrote a book recently out called "A World in Disarray" about the geopolitical disasters we see all around. Yeah --- I often think people don't recognize how disorderly the world has become.

6. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +36,609
    The Catalonia independence movement has actually been around nearly a century. Some wags here are just now finding out about it. And the latest wave of such elections has been going on for several years.

And it's one of many around Europe -- we hear prominently of the IRA and the Basques, not so much about myriad others.

Here's a map of just the separatist/autonomy movements that are current in Spain alone:

[​IMG]
    Catalonia is the light green on the east, including the Majorca islands; the Basques would be the darker green extending into France. The yellow in the northwest corner would be GalĂ­cia. It's marked by the same mountain range that separates Spain and Portugal, hence the language thing.

That comes from this Wiki page, which leads off with, as it happens, a picture of a Catalonia independence rally from five years ago.

We touched on this a few months ago when a terrorist drove a truck into pedestrians in Barcelona, and my suggestion that it could be related to this very separatist movement was met with derision from those who had no clue what I was talking about and just wanted to yell "Moooooooooslims" or "Joooooooooooos" or whatever the bigotry target of the day was.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017