Catalonia breaking up Spain -- Monday 10/9

Circe

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aeaea
Reuters today 10/4 10:15 am

Catalonia to move to declare independence from Spain on Monday

Catalonia will move on Monday to declare independence from Spain, a regional government source said, as the European Union nation nears a rupture that threatens the foundations of its young democracy and has unnerved financial markets.

There was serious violence this past weekend in an attempt to hold a referendum on secession of Catalonia, the richest part of Spain. Not only the populace but the elected officials -- mayors of most towns and cities -- are in favor of secession from Spain. This is something of a surprise uprising to Americans because although we knew about the Basque separatist movement going on for decades, Catalonia's overwhelming eagerness to succeed was not recognized here.

What does it mean for the European Union; is secession likely to succeed with or without civil war in Spain (again, as in the 1930s); and what does it mean for the several other separatist movements in Europe, such as in Belgium, Scotland, Wales.

Yup, there are several regions in Europe looking to follow suit. The globalist nonsense that has permeated political thought there has divided things even more since the EU came into being.

yea, i posted this earlier today but people were too busy lobbing insults and insisting they're right about vegas and everything else.

this is huge. this is spain breaking up. geography books will have to be redone now for schools. :)

it also puts the entire EU on the spot. the move for globalism is taking another huge hit.

yea, i posted this earlier today but people were too busy lobbing insults and insisting they're right about vegas and everything else.

this is huge. this is spain breaking up. geography books will have to be redone now for schools. :)

Hmm?

They teach geography in US system schools? Why all the reports that kids can't find their own country on a map, much less another?

it also puts the entire EU on the spot. the move for globalism is taking another huge hit.

The concept of the EU is what allows this, as even if you leave the nation-state, you still have EU status and quite frankly more power as an independent entity.

Now we get to see if Spain sends in the MIlitary or not.

The concept of the EU is what allows this, as even if you leave the nation-state, you still have EU status and quite frankly more power as an independent entity.

still learning a lot about what is going on and the ramifications, so hoping people chime in with info, not snark.

still learning a lot about what is going on and the ramifications, so hoping people chime in with info, not snark.

Not sure if a complex situation such as this will get either. Most people in the US won't care until they see pictures of APC's in the intersections of Barcelona, and even them a large percentage will ask "barca-what?"

Not sure if a complex situation such as this will get either. Most people in the US won't care until they see pictures of APC's in the intersections of Barcelona, and even them a large percentage will ask "barca-what?"
yea, like i said...my own post went away quickly as people went back to auto-arguing over the same old stuff while the world changes around us anyway.

Yup, there are several regions in Europe looking to follow suit. The globalist nonsense that has permeated political thought there has divided things even more since the EU came into being.

Catalonia, and numerous other regions in Europe, have been bubbling for decades, nay, centuries.
There's nothing new about this. What's new is that you weren't paying attention. And now having just walked in you not only think you have all the answers but trot out one that somehow works in reverse.

Amusing, in a pathos way.

yea, like i said...my own post went away quickly as people went back to auto-arguing over the same old stuff while the world changes around us anyway.

A big question is will this re-ignite the whole Basque thing in Northern Spain/Southern France?

Hmm?

They teach geography in US system schools? Why all the reports that kids can't find their own country on a map, much less another?

I personally believe that U. S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should—our education over here in the U. S. should help the U. S., or, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.

Catalonia, and numerous other regions in Europe, have been bubbling for decades, nay, centuries.
There's nothing new about this. What's new is that you weren't paying attention. And now having just walked in you not only think you have all the answers but trot out one that somehow works in reverse.

Amusing, in a pathos way.

Did I say "new" anywhere in the post?

We're talking about now.

With that, we can discuss your not paying attention.

Hmm?

I personally believe that U. S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should—our education over here in the U. S. should help the U. S., or, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.

If there are any public schools without maps, I would ask what then exactly are you people doing with the money?

Hmm?

If there are any public schools without maps, I would ask what then exactly are you people doing with the money?

The important stuff. Beauty pageants.

"You people"? :uhh:

Hmm?

Take deep breath and use short and coherent sentences, so people can understand what you are babbling about.

Hmm?

Take deep breath and use short and coherent sentences, so people can understand what you are babbling about.

Wu0Ub37.gif

An inevitable result of globalization.

They have sent in the military.

Spain sends in ARMY to Catalonia as it pushes region to brink over referendum

Forum List

Back