Cat with eating disorder

Thats what I was going to suggest.

Have a set din din time for them, and separate them during it.

Obesity can kill them just like it can us.

I've had the cats food on free serve. You're suggesting a set dinner time. Hmm.

I have always free-fed my cats dry food. They eat when they want to. Then at dinner they get to share a can of Fancy Feast. I have six cats, one is obese. Five are just fine. I took the fat one to the vet and discussed it with my vet. He said some cats get along quite well when they are overweight, but they are more at risk for diabetes. I haven't changed how I feed them. He would be miserable to be confined to a room while put on a diet.

Based on the fact that five cats are fine and only one is obese, it is obviously not my feeding method that is the problem. This cat has a unique problem. I actually don't see him eating that much, he's not constantly at the food bowls.

Just as some people are fat, I guess this cat is just going to be fat. He is very powerful and still runs around and plays and is perfectly capable of jumping up on things, etc. Considering the stray cats I feed outside who are trying to survive in sometimes below zero weather, I guess my fat cat doesn't have such a bad life.

I leave food out for my cat all the time and she doesn't over eat. She doesn't even eat when anyone is in the room where her food is and if you go in there while she is eating, she leaves. She had a nervous breakdown when I had my last joing replacement and so she has to be on prescription cat food. Leaving it out means she doesn't wake me in the mornings and I can leave her here a day or two without having to board her.

:cuckoo:
We had a cat who was bulemic as a kitten, and scared of everything, and then obese as an adult and died too young. I wish I'd pampered him more because he was just so sweet but so scared ... but I was a new cat owner and didn't know what he needed.

Our two largest cats now are supposed to be large. They're truly huge. When they were about 4 they tipped the scales at 18 pounds, which the vet commented on, but which she said was perfectly fine for them.

But then they got up to 22 or 23 pounds and couldn't clean themselves well. They spent a few years at that weight before we took it seriously enough.

But now they're back down to 18 pounds. At age 12, 18 pounds is a little more flab than it was at age 4, and they still have a little bit of trouble getting to their nether regions, but it's a great improvement.

What did we do? We moved from wet food twice a day and dry food self feeding to:

wet food at most once a day - we have three cats in all and they split a 5.5 oz. They eat in separate rooms to make sure everyone gets as much as he wants from his own plate. The most aggressive eater is fed in the foyer where we can close the door.

Then small portions of the brands of dry food they most prefer - a couple of times a day.

And for overnight a little bit of a "healthy" brand which they don't like. So if they are really really really hungry, they'll eat it, but they won't eat it just for fun.

... and we did try to hug and play with them a little more than we had been.

p.s.

Some days they don't get wet food at all. Took a bit to stop them from begging for it everyday ... but now they're pretty good sports about their more limited diets.

Some days they do get a little extra treat. They love sliced deli meats ......

and people who have obese pets are horrible people:evil:

I know my shit. I'm looking at Niakawa and going..."we are jogging when the freaking snow clears"

Sonya and Niakawa eat the same. I can't figure it out.

Niakawa is just packing it on.

Generally animal behavior disorders are a direct reflection of their owners.

Just sayin.

Read the pet food manufacturer's label. Feed the critters, one and all. the minimum.
You are the master of their domain.

What is it about "meow" that you don't like?

Here's a test: "MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW"

Your response?

600px-BurnNoticeColt1911.jpg

Forum List

Back