Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted! For Terrorism Watch List

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Hmmm, don't know what to think of this. Remember, "Father and Son"?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/9724538.htm?1c

Posted on Tue, Sep. 21, 2004

The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted

LESLIE MILLER

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam - formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens - showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.

United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to Dulles International Airport when the match was made between the passenger and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the individual as Islam.

One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the official said.

"He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.

Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion, founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.

Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.

In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."

ON THE NET

Yusuf Islam: http://www.yusufislam.org.uk/

i'm guessing they got something on the guy since they won't let him in the country. i wonder why he is on the watch list.

Sir Evil said:
Hmmm, wonder what he has to say about the recent atrocities in Iraq?

I was thinking the same thing.
I used to dig his music in high school, but sort of lost interest when I found out what a nut he was.

Not in reference to his converting to Islam but incidents like his supporting the bounty Ayatollah Khomeini(sp? and I think it was him) placed on Salman Rushdi's(sp?--too tired to look these names up) head.

As a writer and free thinker, that shit just aint cool.
Maybe Cat Stevens should take great songs like Peace Train and Father and Son and shove them up his HOLY ASS.

But what do I know, I'm just a horny gremlin with a penchant for good music made by the devil.

"I've been smiling lately
Dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be
Something good's bound to come
For out on the edge of darkness
There runs the peace train
Peace train take this country
Come take me home again"
-from Peace Train by Cat Stevens(Yusuf Islam)

krisy said:
i'm guessing they got something on the guy since they won't let him in the country. i wonder why he is on the watch list.
Because he is a Moslem?

CSM said:
That's as good a reason as any.

I heard on the radio, on my way to school, that he'd given money to 'charities' tied to terrorism.

Kathianne said:
I heard on the radio, on my way to school, that he'd given money to 'charities' tied to terrorism.
I thought he supported Hamas.

Or at least is accused by Israel of supporting Hamas.

Which passes for truth in the US

CSM said:
Pales in comparison to the videos of beheadings.
Yeah, I know, white people being killed is far more shocking than non-whites being tortured.

Ali said:
I thought he supported Hamas.

Or at least is accused by Israel of supporting Hamas.

Which passes for truth in the US

Garbage Ali----did'nt you hear Bush chastise Israel yesterday?

It might also have something to do with his support of the call for Rushti's death some time back. He has since apologized for that.

Ali said:
Yeah, I know, white people being killed is far more shocking than non-whites being tortured.

Can't have it both ways...either you abhor torture and murder of ANY kind or you support it. Beheading innocents in the name of Allah is no more noble than setting dogs on prisoners.

dilloduck said:
Garbage Ali----did'nt you hear Bush chastise Israel yesterday?
No. All I heard was blablabla freedom blablabla vote for me blablabla terrorism blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla

Usual crap.

Ali said:
No. All I heard was blablabla freedom blablabla vote for me blablabla terrorism blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla

Usual crap.

Educate yourself--you posts may be more credible--Listening helps too

dilloduck said:
Educate yourself--you posts may be more credible--Listening helps too

Ali is more interested in getting a rise out of people than he is in honest debate. I expect we shall begin the usual name calling very soon.

CSM said:
Can't have it both ways...either you abhor torture and murder of ANY kind or you support it. Beheading innocents in the name of Allah is no more noble than setting dogs on prisoners.
So, are you saying that the torture and humiliation of prisoners in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay is wrong? I would have to agree with you there.

Ali said:
Because he is a Moslem?

If you would have read my post right,you would have understood that what I said had nothing to do with him being Muslim. I said they must have something on him because they would not let him in the country,they are sending him back. It's not hard to understand,when officials don't let you into our country,there is probably some kind of negative reason. It doesn't hurt my feelings,some Muslims are the ones terrorizing everyone anyway. If he was suspicious,forget about political correctness.

Forum List

Back