NA LOW
K LOW
Na/K 42
CI LOW
OSM Calc 296 mmol/kg

SNAP shot Dx
FeLV No result
FIV No result

Doctor says she is dehydrated she has ticks and fleas from the tree and Dr. recommended a collar that is new technology - it prevents fleas and ticks and is very effective it works for 8 months and they sell it there at the hospital. We told the Dr. we'd buy one and she is going to put it on her tomorrow when she checks out.

Doctor says she believes she will be alright. She has a fever and was treated with medicine. We are leaving her overnight with the Doctor to be treated with intravenous fluids and medicines and will pick her up tomorrow. She is definitely dehydrated. She slept through the night and woke up early this morning. Her eyes are clear and she looks to be in good health otherwise according to the Doctor.

The cat is going to be fine. Thank you everyone for your advice! I appreciate all of your comments! Thank you, Luddly, for answering so quickly. I appreciate you.

Glad to hear it.

Ya done gud, Jeri.

Here's a Happy Dance to enjoy until she's well enough to do it herself.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
@LuddlyNeddite Here is the latest update on the cat. Our cat. She was acting very feeble after having regained her appetite and eating and drinking. We discovered a lump on her side - a small lump that was so sore you could not touch it. We decided to take her back to the doctor today. She was in greater pain today then over the weekend. When the doctor took her out of the carrier the lump burst open with pus and liquid pouring out. The doctor took her temperature and it was 105 which is very dangerous. The doctor believes she was bitten (probably what led to her seeking refuge in a tree - not sure) by a wild animal - a possum -and it became infected. It could be what led to the fever she had when she first came out of the tree and the fever she had again today. So they are keeping her overnight and giving her fluids and antibiotics and pain killers to alleviate her pain. They will keep a close watch on her. We'll know more tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers. Thank you everybody.

@LuddlyNeddite Here is the latest update on the cat. Our cat. She was acting very feeble after having regained her appetite and eating and drinking. We discovered a lump on her side - a small lump that was so sore you could not touch it. We decided to take her back to the doctor today. She was in greater pain today then over the weekend. When the doctor took her out of the carrier the lump burst open with pus and liquid pouring out. The doctor took her temperature and it was 105 which is very dangerous. The doctor believes she was bitten (probably what led to her seeking refuge in a tree - not sure) by a wild animal - a possum -and it became infected. It could be what led to the fever she had when she first came out of the tree and the fever she had again today. So they are keeping her overnight and giving her fluids and antibiotics and pain killers to alleviate her pain. They will keep a close watch on her. We'll know more tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers. Thank you everybody.
At least it burst! They will have her on antibiotics and fluids. She is still in God's care, hon. And yes..I will send up some prayers for her.
What is her name?

Right now? Poor baby! But as this board has some people that do not respect the idea that animals are part of no attacks on family - I won't post it here in any case, Gracie. I feel very sensitive about this cat. I read a post you wrote a few days ago to Bear. I have to agree with you that pets - adopted or otherwise - should be off limits and included in the no attack on families rule of USMB. It is very hurtful to think someone would sink to such a level but some do!

I hope the bursting of the lump is good news. You know more about animals than I do. I just find them and bring them home. Then I have to depend on others to tell me what to do because I do not know. I'm very concerned about her. I thank you for your concern and prayers.

Right now? Poor baby! But as this board has some people that do not respect the idea that animals are part of no attacks on family - I won't post it here in any case, Gracie. I feel very sensitive about this cat. I read a post you wrote a few days ago to Bear. I have to agree with you that pets - adopted or otherwise - should be off limits and included in the no attack on families rule of USMB. It is very hurtful to think someone would sink to such a level but some do!

I hope the bursting of the lump is good news. You know more about animals than I do. I just find them and bring them home. Then I have to depend on others to tell me what to do because I do not know. I'm very concerned about her. I thank you for your concern and prayers.

Well done Jeri! Kudos. Have you thought of a name yet? Cats love their names. My Sonya who is a rescue just adores her name. I can call her from anywhere in the house and she runs willy nilly to me.

My cats are by the way indoor cats. Always have been. My Pyewacket made it to 20 and a 1/2 years. The day he passed to rainbow bridge was one of the darkest days of my life because I lost my buddy for all those years.

On the bright side, when I cross rainbow bridge it'll be a party going on. Have been blessed with so many furbabies and featheredbabies and scalebabies in my life.

:)

Bless you for saving one!

Cat names are waaaaaaaaaaaay harder than dog names. I can't wait to see what Jeri names it.

There is no greater companion in the animal kingdom than a cat to me, TD. Some people like dogs but I find cats to be far more interesting. I'm sorry for the loss of your cat - I lost one years ago that took a very long time to get over. I still think about that cat and feel a pang of pain for the suffering he had at the end of his life. Once diagnosed I was told he had to be put to sleep. I had one last weekend with him and that was it. It happened fast. Cats are like children. Each one has their own unique personality and they can never be replaced.

There is no greater companion in the animal kingdom than a cat to me, TD. Some people like dogs but I find cats to be far more interesting. I'm sorry for the loss of your cat - I lost one years ago that took a very long time to get over. I still think about that cat and feel a pang of pain for the suffering he had at the end of his life. Once diagnosed I was told he had to be put to sleep. I had one last weekend with him and that was it. It happened fast. Cats are like children. Each one has their own unique personality and they can never be replaced.

I'm a beastie person. Cats dogs birds and even reptiles you know there is a higher being that can create such wonderful souls. Who love you no matter what.

No matter your lousy day at work, the cold you have when you come in that door some one is waiting just to tell you you are the best person on the planet and can I have my milk bone or tempations treat.

I've been blessed by so many. I have much to be thankful for.

Luddly Neddite Gracie tiny Dancer featherlite Pogo gallantwarrior

There is wisdom in many counselors and I need to hear what ya'll have to say about this. First, I just spoke to the Doctor that will be the one to perform surgery and she is young. She said they are giving her antibiotics, pain medicine, and some other things to get her ready for surgery on Thursday. She did alright last night there. They said her skin was sloughing off where the infection bursted and they don't know what bit her. I believe it was a possum. Possums carry infection and will bite a cat if it gets near it out of curiousity. I researched it last night on Google.

Now they said the skin has stopped sloughing and if it doesn't slough any more than that would be a good thing. So I am praying for that. But in the meantime my husbands friend told us that this animal hospital years ago over did the anesthesia on his dog and his dog died in surgery. Now he said it was years ago but he won't go there again. Now we have always taken our pets to this hospital and things went good. But none of our animals ever needed surgery!

Now our friends took their pet to a Doctor in another state ( it isn't too far - maybe a 3 or 4 hour drive) who is by their account one of the best. He said he did what said couldn't be done - he did heart surgery on their dog when the doctor here in our town said nothing could be done and she wouldn't live long. When their pets get sick they take it to this Doctor and he is in another state.

Now here is the decision we have to make here. She is resting comfortably and is eating and drinking, no IV, they are keeping her comfortable with pain medicine and antibiotics and waiting for Thursday. She is still weak and getting her strength back. You should see her. She is a precious little thing. It would break your heart. With all I told ya'll here is the question.

Do we take her to the doctor in the other state while she is still getting over the infection and bursted infection - with skin sloughing (they said it has stopped sloughing for right now) or do we take her now to the doctor in the other state? Or do we wait until she is ready for surgery on Thursday and take her to the doctor in the other state and go ahead and prepare for the trip now and set up the appt. with him? Or do we let this hospital do the surgery because it is a surgery that is to clean out the wound and partially close it up in case there is any more re occurance of the infection? In my spirit I feel like this hospital is not so sure and as I said this doctor who is caring for her now is very young.

Okay this is what my husband just told me. He talked to the Doctors office in the other state and they said they can guide and advise the doctor who will do surgery at this hospital and will act as a second opinion and a guide on how to care for the cat and what to look for , etc. They said it might be best to leave her there and let them be in contact with them to guide them and assist in treating the cat. What do you think about that?

How can you treat something without knowing what kind of disease / infection you're treating? I'm no expert but don't they have tests that can determine what is what? I thought vets were like medical doctors that can pinpoint exactly what is wrong. Am I wrong? Or is this a matter of an inexperienced doctor who just doesn't know?

If the vet needs guidance, I would take the kitty to the one doing the guiding.

That is what I think, Gracie. But if the animal is weak and cannot make the trip then that is putting added stress on it. You haven't seen the way my husband drives! Lord have mercy. My brother was a race car driver in his younger years and he clutches the door when he has to get in the car with him! I have had a few moments myself. I have to remind myself that God is in full control when he is behind the wheel.

And..it sounds more like a brown recluse spider bite. She was up in the tree. Spiders live in trees.
I have heard of those before. They can kill people so I reckon they are dangerous to cats too. I'm going down there this afternoon to lay hands on her and pray over her and I'm going to put a t tiny drop of Jerusalem anointing oil on her head when I pray. I believe in the power of prayer but I also believe in having good counsel and following it.

If I was a animal doctor I'd spend more time on research and study of what causes certain infections. It sure doesn't sound like there has been enough done. When I pray for a person I want to know exactly what I am praying about. You have to know what you are targeting in the spirit realm, it should be the same for how things are done in the natural realm in my opinion. It's like shooting in the dark otherwise.

Forum List

Back