Cat Bite

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Just wanted to pass this along.

Recently I was bitten by a cat. This was not a typical play bite. This was a break-the-skin cat- fight bite. My daughter-in-law has returned to school studying veterinary med. Told me to see a dr. because this needed other treatment than the tetnaus shot I'd received. Said she'd gotten it right on her exam.

So I called MY Dr. (He'd been on vacation so one of his partners saw that I got the tetanus shot).

Made me come in immediately. Amanda was right. There ia a bacteria that lives on a cat's teeth called Pasturella. This is even if you've had the pet for years. The bacteria causes brain and/or heart trouble. It is usually treated with penicillin. (Of course which I'm allergic. Used a strong antibiotic -Ceftin)

So please take caution. I was not aware of how potentially dangerous this was. Amanda's professor had nymph nodes removed from the infection & one woman had to have antibiotic injected directly into her heart.

Yes, Cat bites can , if left untreated, cause you to loose a finger, hand or life! Very serious!

I am glad your daughter was around to inform you.

Forum List

Back