Cash sought for Cam Newton

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
During the height of star quarterback Cam Newton's recruitment out of junior college last year, a man who said he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a six-figure payment to secure his signature on a national letter of intent, ESPN.com has learned.

Former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond told ESPN.com a teammate of Bond's at Mississippi State in the early 1980s contacted him soon after Newton's official visit to Mississippi State during the Ole Miss game in December, and said he was representing Newton.

"He said it would take some cash to get Cam," Bond said. "I called our athletic director, Greg Byrne, and he took it from there. That was pretty much it."

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Mississippi State called the SEC office with Bond's information shortly after he brought it to the attention of the school.

Sources told ESPN.com the former teammate is Kenny Rogers, who played at Mississippi State from 1982 to '85. Rogers operates a Chicago-based company called Elite Football Preparation, which holds camps in Chicago, Alabama and Mississippi. A Lexis search for that business lists Kenneth Rogers as the contact and his title as "agent." A Birmingham News story from 2008 said Elite Football Preparation "matches high school athletes with college programs."

Bond said the former teammate told him other schools had already offered $200,000, but since Newton really liked Mississippi State and had a relationship with head coach Dan Mullen dating to when both were at Florida, Mississippi State could get him for $180,000.

CLICK FOR MORE INCLUDING VIDEO

Not until today has Auburn been implicated in any of it, but I've said all along that the center of the story would be Cecil Newton (Cam's father). Now there are tapes of Cecil asking for money, and Cam saying he wound up at Auburn because "the money was too high."

Every morning there is more. But this story won't conclude until next year.

The FBI is now involved as well, so there are obviously some implications of criminal activity (assume money being funneled to Cecil Newton's church).

Also, the "hush hush" newest rumor is that another SEC school is going to get drug into this soon as well. The tapes sent to the NCAA evidently indicate that Tennessee, Auburn, and MSU were in a bidding war with Cecil Newton for Cam's services.

Last edited:
I am a University of Washington alum. We beat Oregon 58 times.

I WANT somebody like TCU or Auburn to beat these guys.

I have serious doubts.

These guys are good - the worst part is the QB and RBs are sophs.

This is new. Usually colleges are investigated and fined for violations after they win a national title. Looks like the NCAA is getting proactive.

This is new. Usually colleges are investigated and fined for violations after they win a national title. Looks like the NCAA is getting proactive.

Naaah......This will drag on well into next year. It is entirely possible/somewhat probable that Cam will win the Heisman, Auburn *could* win the NC (but they won't, because they're still Auburn), and the investigation could still be on-going when next season kicks off. As a Bama fan, I've seen first-hand how the NCAA operates. This one is going to go on for a LONG time.

Not until today has Auburn been implicated in any of it, but I've said all along that the center of the story would be Cecil Newton (Cam's father). Now there are tapes of Cecil asking for money, and Cam saying he wound up at Auburn because "the money was too high."

The FBI is now involved as well, so there are obviously some implications of criminal activity (assume money being funneled to Cecil Newton's church).

Also, the "hush hush" newest rumor is that another SEC school is going to get drug into this soon as well. The tapes sent to the NCAA evidently indicate that Tennessee, Auburn, and MSU were in a bidding war with Cecil Newton for Cam's services.

I didn't hear this latest stuff until I read your post. Did a search, easily found it on ESPN.
They will have to have proof of funds....wonder if they can? I haven't a clue how you hide such.

I didn't hear this latest stuff until I read your post. Did a search, easily found it on ESPN.
They will have to have proof of funds....wonder if they can? I haven't a clue how you hide such.

The scuttle here in Bama is that more is coming out soon. Nothing yet on Tennessee being involved, so that may just be wishful thinking on Bama fans' part, but MSU released a rather odd statement today, and that is where the FBI is currently focusing their attention.

I'm guessing here.....but if I had to bet, I'd say that money exchanged hands somewhere, and my gut feeling is that the FBI/NCAA are trying to tie some of the large "cash" donations made to Cecil Newton's church to a "pay for play" scenario involving Cam. That seems to be the general train of thought down here the past couple of days.

Twitter was abuzz all day with a report that Cam had been suspended, but that appears to have been a hoax.

This thing is being dropped one small piece at a time, and it has been "clockwork" at 9-10pm every night the past 3 nights, so I'm looking for something else to come out tonight or tomorrow night. The taped recordings of Cecil and Cam are supposedly in the possession of an MSU booster, and their is a rumor that a TCU booster has paid him to release them (in the hope that TCU might get into the BCSNC, I assume....see no other reason for a TCU booster to get involved).

It keeps growing and growing, and its hard to tell what to believe and what is smear.....but there is an AWFUL lot of smoke surrounding Cam and Cecil Newton.

The scuttle here in Bama is that more is coming out soon. Nothing yet on Tennessee being involved, so that may just be wishful thinking on Bama fans' part, but MSU released a rather odd statement today, and that is where the FBI is currently focusing their attention.

I'm guessing here.....but if I had to bet, I'd say that money exchanged hands somewhere, and my gut feeling is that the FBI/NCAA are trying to tie some of the large "cash" donations made to Cecil Newton's church to a "pay for play" scenario involving Cam. That seems to be the general train of thought down here the past couple of days.

Twitter was abuzz all day with a report that Cam had been suspended, but that appears to have been a hoax.

This thing is being dropped one small piece at a time, and it has been "clockwork" at 9-10pm every night the past 3 nights, so I'm looking for something else to come out tonight or tomorrow night. The taped recordings of Cecil and Cam are supposedly in the possession of an MSU booster, and their is a rumor that a TCU booster has paid him to release them (in the hope that TCU might get into the BCSNC, I assume....see no other reason for a TCU booster to get involved).

It keeps growing and growing, and its hard to tell what to believe and what is smear.....but there is an AWFUL lot of smoke surrounding Cam and Cecil Newton.

WOW It is getting more and more interesting! Yes, there is a lot of smoke, and that usually means fire. Have to wait and see...SOMETHING has to be there.

See, this is where a farm system for the NFL would come in. If you wanted money, you'd play in the minors like they do in baseball.

Problem is, the payola from College football programs is probably better than you could get from a minor league football contract, and it would just make colleges sneak around more.

If they are going to investigate, they best do it fast. If Auburn broke NCAA and SEC rules, the SEC needs to be looking for a replacement team in the SEC Championship, and the BCS needs to be removing Auburn from their rankings.

If they are going to investigate, they best do it fast. If Auburn broke NCAA and SEC rules, the SEC needs to be looking for a replacement team in the SEC Championship, and the BCS needs to be removing Auburn from their rankings.

The NCAA NEVER is in a hurry. This won't be over for a while..at least I don't think..

Nothing new overnight, or this morning as of 5:30.

Which leads me to believe if something doesn't come out by tomorrow afternoon, we won't hear anything again until next week. If Auburn keeps winning, this story will stay in the news. Lose to Georgia, Bama, or the the SEC East champ, and it will start to fade from the front page, but still be back there somewhere.

And Kat is right. This is going to drag out LONG after the National Championship has been decided. I think Cam goes pro faster than a dancer when the fleet comes in, so he'll be "old news" when its over, but the NCAA moves very, VERY slow. They'll close the book on this between July and September of next year, IMO.

the NCAA knows this goes on widely and so do the coaches and players. If Auburn had 4 losses we woudln't have heard about it.
For a kid caught stealing and cheating twice I have zero doubt money changed hands.

I really hope they find enough evidence to bar Auburn from competing in championship and bowl games before the season is over. After the debacle with Reggie Bush and USC, it's time for the NCAA to be proactive. If Auburn isn't eligible to hold titles, they shouldn't be allowed to compete for them. It's senseless to allow them to compete and then six months later revoke any titles they win.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Scam Newton is the best college QB money can buy.
actually, he is the best running back perpetually playing in the wildcat

he cant pass for shit

Incorrect. He is a true QB and can pass effectively when need be.

This could be a far reaching investigation to, remember there were rumors all last year that Michael Dyer was receiving benefits from a placement agency who placed him at Auburn.

Personally I hope someone has video evidence of Gus Malzahn handining Newton a sack of cash.

he cant pass for shit

This could be a far reaching investigation to, remember there were rumors all last year that Michael Dyer was receiving benefits from a placement agency who placed him at Auburn.

Personally I hope someone has video evidence of Gus Malzahn handining Newton a sack of cash.
i havent seen him throw with authority

he cant pass for shit

It appears that if anyone were handed a sack of cash, it would be Cecil Newton, not Cam, and it would have been filtered through his church. I am not sure how they go about finding that out for sure..

Forum List

Back