Cash for clunkers

Subsidize it, you get more of it.

Just heard a caller on on Jason Lewis claim that he got the full credit on a "clunker" that got @ 23 mpg.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government plans to suspend its popular "cash for clunkers" program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases, congressional officials said Thursday.

The Transportation Department called lawmakers' offices to alert them to the decision to suspend the program at midnight Thursday. The program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

The congressional officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. Rae Tyson, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which administers the program, declined comment.

AP sources: Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers' - Yahoo! Finance
Well shit, my clunker is only worth $500 again.

Hey--I was thinking of towing one in to collect my $4500.00. What in the heck!

Just when you think your ship is coming in the federal government moves the dock--FIGURES!

Just when you think you ship is coming in the federal government moves the dock--FIGURES!
:lol::lol::lol:

You didn't read the fine print.... To turn one in, it has to be titled to you, registered to you, and insured by you for one full year before the trade-in!

NYT already spinning this:

‘Clunkers’ Auto Rebate Plan So Popular It’s Broke'

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/31clunkers.html?hp

Again, they gotta editorialize straight news. Notice?

I don't understand. Is it over or not? Today is Thursday.
I think it's 12:00 ET tonight, it's over.
Goddamn NYT site just sucked up a shitload of my bandwidth!!

Remind me to never go there again.
They DO try to slap you with a ton of crap. They're broke too, ya know.... Gotta get revenue everywhere they can! :rofl:

Just when you think you ship is coming in the federal government moves the dock--FIGURES!
:lol::lol::lol:

You didn't read the fine print.... To turn one in, it has to be titled to you, registered to you, and insured by you for one full year before the trade-in!

Has to be running to.

NYT already spinning this:

‘Clunkers’ Auto Rebate Plan So Popular It’s Broke'

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/31clunkers.html?hp

Again, they gotta editorialize straight news. Notice?

I don't understand. Is it over or not? Today is Thursday.
I think it's 12:00 ET tonight, it's over.
Goddamn NYT site just sucked up a shitload of my bandwidth!!

Remind me to never go there again.

Don't go there again.

The ads are purchased in blocks.

I'm sure those dealers are scrambling to produce new ads.

still ... need to produce nee ones. well with all the one step forward and 2 back I guess its job security for some.

Get ready for the next big bailout -- 100,000 or so lackeys who traded in their perfectly good vehicle in "Cash for Clunkers," who signed a loan they cannot afford, cannot make the payments and have the Repo man breathing down their necks. Dems will scream "predatory racist lending!!!" and Obama will try to get Congress to send them another few billion for that, (Repo prevention) and re-start c4c with another 20 billion since, as they will say, "it was so successful."

Meanwhile the lenders will get hosed....

Watch and see....

Way to burst my happy bubble. :(

Even if it worked, it would just reduce the supply of affordable used cars available to the poor. Liberals mouth words of love to the poor, but their love is more like the way Ike Turner loved Tina.

The plan worked to serve two purposes:

1 to stimulate new car sales; and

2. to get people out of gas guzzling clukers and into more efficient cars.

Is it working?

I don't know.

What do the car sales look like, and how many gas guzzlers have been traded in to take advantage of this program?

Anyone actually have any figures on this?

If they've gone through 1 billion in six days I'd say the program was working. People are buying new cars.

My son's car missed the mpg cutoff by 1. :(

Get ready for the next big bailout -- 100,000 or so lackeys who traded in their perfectly good vehicle in "Cash for Clunkers," who signed a loan they cannot afford, cannot make the payments and have the Repo man breathing down their necks. Dems will scream "predatory racist lending!!!" and Obama will try to get Congress to send them another few billion for that, (Repo prevention) and re-start c4c with another 20 billion since, as they will say, "it was so successful."

Meanwhile the lenders will get hosed....

Watch and see....

you mean i didnt have to pay for the new car....the one i didnt get cause i cant afford it?

this program has pissed me off since the start......why dont i get a new car....and big bucks.....o cause i had the sense to buy a car that gets 28 mpg .....

Forum List

Back