Cash for Clunkers

They got back at the other end Jreeves....all those huge commission checks to the car salesmen get taxed, the dealer's overall business profit gets taxed, the Auto makers producing replacement cars business gets taxed, the businesses making auto parts for the replacement car inventory gets taxed and those workers making them get taxed on their salaries etc.

I do think our gvt takes a hit, but not as big as the $4500 per car!

Care

I tell you what care why don't we pay people to go around and take huge chunks out of the roadways. After all the government would collect taxes on the people destroying the roadways. Not only that but we could collect taxes on the asphalt workers and plants that filled the holes back. Oh yeah I am almost forgot we could collect taxes on the people who fill the holes as well. Oh yeah since its a new pavement maybe we could charge tolls on these roadways. This plan seems just as feasible as "Cash for clunkers".

yes, i understand jreeves.... and i tend to lean towards your sentiment on bailouts and stimulus programs done by the gvt.

HOWEVER, congress did not listen to me or you and they passed this humongous stimulus bill....on a bunch of things that most of us are clueless on....and they bailed out american auto manufacturers...

I haven't heard of any other project or program that they spent our taxes on, that truly stimulated sales, other than the cars for clunkers program and the First time Home owners credit which gave us a 7.5% increase in home sales.

BECAUSE our congress bailed out the auto industry and we own as much as 70% of gm in mostly preferred stock, us citizens have an interest in our auto industry doing well...and even if we didn't own them, we as a country have an interest in them doing well, with all the aspects of our economy that they do touch in some manner.

I am not and can not be the type of person that wishes our gvt to fail because of ideological differences I may have with them!

I am pleasantly surprised that cars for clunkers worked and generated so much business for the auto industry.

care

I don't wish that our government fails, only that they represent the interests of their citizens. We can continue to destroy shit so that these bailed out industries can get on their feet, but when does it end? The car makers will continue to need bailouts and special programs. That is until they start making better business decisions. It must be nice to have Uncle Sam robbing every citizen blind so that the govt can shove cash in your pockets. Robin Hood would be proud...:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back