Cash for Clunkers

I find it amusing that the program worked so well that it ran out of money so quickly.

Even more amusing are our board partisans trying to spin this winning prgram into a defeat.

This successful program surprised many especially our leaders. The autoworkers and dealers are thrilled.

I find it amusing that the program worked so well that it ran out of money so quickly.

Even more amusing are our board partisans trying to spin this winning prgram into a defeat.

This is a defining program of the Obama and Democratic Administration:

It gives cash for Clunkers to get the gas Guzzlers off the road and incent, notice that incentive was given, to get folks to do this.

The population is doing this for economic benefit. The incentive is to make those who are too stupid to act for the greater good act for it.

The enlightened intelligencia above is astonished that folks will actually spend money to make money. Duh!

The planners don't anticipate the wide resonse. They don't see that this is a stimulus program. They underfund it. They initially decide to cancel it, then decide to increase it IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT IT WORKS because of public outcry.

This crowd is genuinely like Christopher Columbus in everything they do.

Ol' Chris didn't know where he was going when he left, didn't know where he was when he arrived, used someone else's money to go there and demanded that he get all of the acclaim for the accomplishment that he did not plan, did not understand and did not pay for.

Maybe Al Franken can add some rationality to this circus.

The fact that the fucking government is giving my tax dollars to people to buy fucking cars sickens me

"Turn in your inefficient TV's we will give you 700 dollars to buy a new one...."

Wait it's coming from this administration. They already gave away digital converter boxes to the unfortunate.

Last edited:
This successful program surprised many especially our leaders. The autoworkers and dealers are thrilled.

Successful indeed, the government takes on $4500 of debt per car, then destroys $1000's of merchandise. Fucking brilliant.

Last edited:

Successful indeed, the government takes on $4500 of debt per car, then destroys $1000's of merchandise. Fucking brilliant.

They got back at the other end Jreeves....all those huge commission checks to the car salesmen get taxed, the dealer's overall business profit gets taxed, the Auto makers producing replacement cars business gets taxed, the businesses making auto parts for the replacement car inventory gets taxed and those workers making them get taxed on their salaries etc.

I do think our gvt takes a hit, but not as big as the $4500 per car!

Care

They got back at the other end Jreeves....all those huge commission checks to the car salesmen get taxed, the dealer's overall business profit gets taxed, the Auto makers producing replacement cars business gets taxed, the businesses making auto parts for the replacement car inventory gets taxed and those workers making them get taxed on their salaries etc.

Care

Since the government is not paying the dealerships the dealers are taking the hit:cuckoo:

Care

Since the government is not paying the dealerships the dealers are taking the hit:cuckoo:

Do you HONESTLY believe the gvt will not pay them?:cuckoo:

Isn't this going to hurt dealers down the line more than they realize? If the market is being flooded with new cars now, no one is going to buy new cars 5 years from now. And what do people in the used car market do? There aren't any used cars left. Oh and what if you don't have a clunker to trade in? You're just chopped liver? This program doesn't make any sense to me.

This "successful" program came in $2 billion in excess of (that's 200% for you scoring at home) and 2 months short of projections.

In what way is that evidence of "success"??

Last edited:
There are dealers that are owed over 3 million dollars.......The fact of the matter is the dealers were starting to get the hell out of the program.

Care

Honestly don't you think being extremely slow to pay these dealerships will be devastating to them?

Honestly don't you think being extremely slow to pay these dealerships will be devastating to them?

no, I don't think it will be devastating to them for a month or two....they made ENOUGH cash off of the sale of SIX AND A HALF times their normal rate of sales of new cars....figure 15k on average coming in at minimum for the new cars sold for every $4k handed out in clunker....

Also, they owned the cars already...they were just sitting there, on their lots collecting dust while they paid the loan they took out for them...SELLING THEM was the best thing that could ever happen to them....getting their rebate money a few weeks or even a few months later will not hurt most of them...of course there could be an exception here and there, but overall...i do not believe it will hurt them anywhere near as much as this event helped them...

The dealers complaining are IDIOTS...they just got a lifesaver handed to them on a silver platter, with a 650% increase in auto sales compared to the norm...BECAUSE of the gvt program...I'd venture to say that a dealer bitching is a GREEDY, ungrateful, crazy, SOB imho.

Care

Forum List

Back