Cash for Clunkers: An exercise in futility

Fair enough, Ok then apologies for being so harsh on yuh. I thought that you were saying that this has not been reported. Atleast you're admitting that they are not paying up, and that is a big problem with this program. ~BH

Yes, federal red tape is a bitch.

Which admittedly is an issue with government programs in general, and is about the only problem I have with public option healthcare, in which case I believe the pros far outweigh the cons. But that's just IMO, and another subject.

Yeah, Don't get me started on what a mess that will be. ~BH

CFC is a PERFECT example of a Government program that died before it began.

No reason to prolong it's life...and the same thing can be said for a myriad of Government programs, paved with good intentions but misdirected, and FORCED on the people for no real good reason except that the Imperial FED can...no matter what the people say.

Good riddence, and I Hope that this is a lesson learned by the people who seem to be waking UP...About Damned time. Where ya been folks?

cash for clunkers and first time home owners credit ARE THE ONLY 2 things out of the 750 billion dollar stimulus spent so far that actually HAVE WORKED.....

to spin otherwise is just plain silly....home sales up 7.5%

and cash for clunkers sold an estimated 750,000 new cars in 2 months where NORMAL new car sales trended at 100k every 2 months....that's a 650% increase in sales during the same 2 month period!

there will be 5 months left of this year, Sept-Dec....if car sales trended last year at the 100,000 cars every 2 months then let's presume it is normally 50k sold in one month....times the 5 months left of this year means that they would normally trend at selling another 250,000 cars the remaining months of the year, combined.

If they do NOT sell another car for the rest of the year, they will beat the way their sales were trending.

selling the 750,000 during this promotion of 2 months, vs selling 100k normally during these 2 months plus another 250k for the remaining months of the year, comes to 350,000 normally sold during the period, of which WE KNOW that during this same period, we have sold AT LEAST, 750,000 cars...and this is if NOT ONE OTHER CAR is SOLD the entire rest of the year...

THIS WAS A HUGE SUCCESS for the dealerships, the car salesmen on commission, the auto makers who got reorders for cars, the manufacturing workers who work there, the people who make parts for new cars, the people who process the components of the cars, the banks and finance companies who made the loans, the people who work there on commission, the auto insurance companies with new policies on more expensive cars, etc etc etc....

This was a very successful promotion.

Car sales will continue after the clunker ends as well...sales will be off a little the first month following, but will pick up again on month 2...if this section of retail operates in the same manner as other retail areas...I have had blow out promotions as such, and sales do slow down afterwards, but the volume in the colossal sale MORE than makes up for slower sales the following month.

There is no way to not call this program a huge, huge, huge retail success which makes it a very successful use of stimulus money....

Now, what the hell they did with the other $740 billion that hasn't shown any kind of good stimulus reaction is what we should be concerned over, but certainly, in any sound mind, NOT THIS.

Care

Pish posh.

All those two shameless giveaway programs did was inflate the currency and artificially keep some price bubbles inflated.

Claiming the clunker program as a "success" when it ran out of money twice before the projected lifetime of the program expired -equally sold short by the factor of two- is the spin.

Pish posh.

All those two shameless giveaway programs did was inflate the currency and artificially keep some price bubbles inflated.

Claiming the clunker program as a "success" when it ran out of money twice before the projected lifetime of the program expired -equally sold short by the factor of two- is the spin.

that's how it is in RETAIL dude...honestly...you sell out sooner than expected= HUGE SUCCESS.

this affects your turn rate, your turn rate affects your ROI, return on investment....

selling out sooner and selling more than you projected are WINNERS IN RETAIL!

i've done this for 26 years Dude, with 4 different corporations, this incentive was a once in a lifetime response/event....A GOOSE BUMP EVENT...you do get tingly feelings running up your leg for a reason if you can ever experience something so successful....!!!!!! :lol:

the auto industry NEEDS to learn from it!!!! so that they can improve their own promotions down the road....(ie. forget offering zero percent financing and offer extra money for the trade in etc)

plus they got a GREAT READ on what models interest the middle class most, which can help them accurately plan their future inventory!

Is the difference between a for-profit business running out of sale merchandise, and a gubmint handout running out of 'free" (other peoples') money not readily apparent to you??

Using the term "investment" here is so far beyond disingenuous as to make "ridiculous" a gross understatement.

You, of all people, cannot possibly be this naïve.

Is the difference between a for-profit business running out of sale merchandise, and a gubmint handout running out of 'free" (other peoples') money not readily apparent to you??

Using the term "investment" here is so far beyond disingenuous as to make "ridiculous" a gross understatement.

You, of all people, cannot possibly be this naïve.

I do understand that it was our money, since it was Stimulus money being spent on this...

And I was against the stimulus package on the whole from the very beginning so I can see where you are coming from.

But the stimulus WAS PASSED, and this program along with the first time home owner credit, (more of our money being handed out) have both been very successful in stimulating both industries...

out of the 750 billion dollar stimulus bill, those two provisions in the stimulus for the housing crisis and auto industry, costing less than 10 billion for the two of them, are the ONLY successful stimulus stories i have heard about...

we get alot of this money back for the clunker event almost immediately through taxes on the car salesman's gigantic commission checks, through the dealer's taxes due on his profits from this event, through all the people working the banks/finance companies writing the car loans day and night when taxed on their pay for this work...even the states made out with state income taxes on these larger commission checks, except a couple of states with no income tax....

in addition to this we own 70% of some of the American auto manufacturers, most of which is in ''preferred stock''....we NEED them to do well, IN ORDER for us to be paid back...this very successful program for all of them, WILL and HAS put us on the road to getting some of our money back, truly!!!

Sure, congress and the auto industry was caught by surprise how many people wanted to take advantage of the program....but this is a pleasant surprise, not a negative one, when the GOAL was to STIMULATE the auto industry sector of the economy with this program!!!

IT WORKED!

Certainly, it would have been even nicer if our taxes weren't used and the auto industry had thought up a similar program themselves and funded the markdown themselves...i can't disagree....

care

Man, you people really can't be positive about anything, can you?

Sheesh.

Not when you are wasting my money!

Hey man, I live in New York.

Last time I looked, large population states like mine have been paying the lion's share of the taxes, PER CAPITA, and the lion's share of the federal funding, PER CAPITA, has been going to the small population, mostly Republican, states.

I've been getting ripped off for decades, and I don't see anyone from red states rushing up to pay me back. If representatives of the blue states want to finally spend a bit of money to benefit some their constituency for a change, well then that's just too bad for you. Think of it as "payback".

Republicans have been cutting taxes and deficit spending for 30 years now, and then they complain whenever Democrats are in charge, calling them "Tax and Spend".

LOL, can you say "hypocrisy"?

Can you say, a 1.8 trillion dollar budget deficit this year alone that could turn us into a bananna republic?

Oh and:

Dow Jones Industrial Average:

That's up 2200 points since Inauguration Day.

As any economist can tell you, unemployment is the last figure to go up after a recession, but those numbers have even started to improve slightly.

Losing jobs at a slower rate, that's improvement aye? Tell that to the people who lost their job this month. I can hear it now, don't worry, unemployment is improving, you just happen to be unfortunate Ahole..

Oh and:

As any economist can tell you, unemployment is the last figure to go up after a recession, but those numbers have even started to improve slightly.

Losing jobs at a slower rate, that's improvement aye? Tell that to the people who lost their job this month. I can hear it now, don't worry, unemployment is improving, you just happen to be unfortunate Ahole..

Yes, it is an improvement.

As I stated in other threads, it took Reagan 3 years to reverse the growth of unemployment after the Carter economic disaster.
It took FDR 3 years after Hoover's 2 years to stop the growth of the unemployment rate after the crash of '29.
Obama's been in office for 7 months, and the rate of unemployment growth is already slowing. That's VERY good.

Oh and:

Yes, it is an improvement.

As I stated in other threads, it took Reagan 3 years to reverse the growth of unemployment after the Carter economic disaster.
It took FDR 3 years after Hoover's 2 years to stop the growth of the unemployment rate after the crash of '29.
Obama's been in office for 7 months, and the rate of unemployment growth is already slowing. That's VERY good.

Where did the Obama administration predict unemployment rates to be at, if we passed a trillion dollar pork bill? Now what is the unemployment rate?

"Cash for Clunkers" was hilarious. Here we had a case of government rewarding what they deem as "bad" behavior and punishing so-called "good" behavior. By overpaying for gas guzzling clunkers, the government rewarded the biggest polluters with cash and shit in the face of the "do gooders" who drive hybrids and other fuel efficient cars. :clap2: bravo!!!

Then there are the "unintended consequences" that plague everything the gov't does. Experts say that around half of the vehicles that were supposed to be "disabled" were quietly put into containers and shipped off to China!! Good thing we don't breathe the same air as China!!! Also, those "clunkers" that were destroyed or shipped to China reduced the amount of available cars in the domestic "used car" market. Making it far more expensive for the "poor" to buy a reliable car. Without reliable transportation the "poor" will most likely remain "poor" for a lack of a job.:lol::lol:

Overall I give the program an "F" for FAIL!!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back