Cash for Caulkers

Well that depends on how more efficient it really is.

I can attest to the fact that the home I lived in built in the 70's was a bear to keep warm and cool. The house I bought built in 2002 costs a lot less to keep cooler and warmer depending on season and at better temps. I could barely afford to keep the old house at 80 in the summer, this one I keep at 70 all year round with no problem and less of an electric bill.

I was trying to upgrade the old house but man was it expensive. I paid 1000 bucks for the front windows and it would have cost close to 2000 for the back because I had a huge odd shaped kitchen window. But even with only the front done I saw a difference in my electric bills.

If I can use the new plan I will. Not cause I think it is a great idea but because if it is available and I qualify no point in not using it, If I don't someone else will. I could use a new better efficient refrigerator at the very least.

Shit what a deal. Hell yeah I'll take advantage of this. Just moved into a 1920's brick/frame. Needs replacement windows, new furnace, a/c unit.

As for it being a "jobs creation" program- moronic.

So everyone is able to change out their HVAC systems themselves?
Manufacture those systems?
Sell them to themselves?
Insulate their crawlspace?

I think some jobs will be made.

My only problem with these programs is that if you check the price for new windows, insullation, efficient furnaces right now and compare them to prices once the incentives take place you will find that the prices have coincidentally risen to eat up the incentive

My only problem with these programs is that if you check the price for new windows, insullation, efficient furnaces right now and compare them to prices once the incentives take place you will find that the prices have coincidentally risen to eat up the incentive

Of course it is the law of demand and supply.
They have the supply and can demand what they want.

Sheeze... When is it going to stop...

We have 2 options...

1. Lower taxes and let people pay for this with their own money.

2. Raise taxes, and have tax payers pay for others to improve their homes...

Looks like any easy decision to me.... I guess Obama believe it is more fair for the Government to be the middle man and skim some off the top then transfer that money to the individual then letting the homeowner pay for it themselves...

It's a great scam they have going on in Washington Dc...

This and Cash for clunkers are badly applied Keynesian economics. What the government is trying to do is spur economic activity by artificially manufacturing demand. This would make economic stats look better for the mean time but this is not what is needed.

In fact, once the program ends, demand for the good would drop even further since it encouraged those that were planning to buy the good to purchase at a set time. Thus most of those consumers that would normally go to the market place and help dictate the actual price are now gone--forcing a lowering of prices for the business in the middle of the recovery/recession.

I would say this. I would prefer the govenment to cut taxes for a fifth time than initiate such horrific programs. Do they not know that this actually prolongs recovery since the true cost of the goods are being obscured by such programs?? It takes time to measure demand, and a company that over prices may find themselves without customers.

The best application of Keynesian economics is to build up and maintain infrastructure. By introducing work through the government, a consumer base is created and the goods and services are closely priced to what the market normally demands since the distribution of needed services is spread across a spectrum of goods and not singularly focused. Also, these programs can be faded out gradual as the Private markets begins to rehire.

I do not think this administration understand that part of the "Big Spend" method of their economic policies. In fact, where are the government jobs that the administration promised??

Last edited:
Fuck the government, i did all that shit last year and got fucking squat.

So you all should suck it up and do the same and not take tax dollars from people who were more responsible than you who have already weatherized their homes.

So you all should suck it up and do the same and not take tax dollars from people who were more responsible than you who have already weatherized their homes.

Waaah

I lalready have a very well insulated home as well.
But still support this as a good effort and one which will create some jobs while it goes on.

My 20-something-year-old natural gas furnace died in early Sept, so I replaced it with a 96% efficient one. In so doing I qualified for a nearly $2000 credit against my fed. taxes for this year and have received a $300 rebate from my electric company and $320 from the gas company for purchasing a more efficient system.

On the two gas bills I've received since, I've consumed, on average, 20% less gas each month vs. the same month a year ago. No idea this early on how much of that is due to warmer weather those two months vs. a year ago, or if the lesser consumption has to do with the better efficiency. Maybe a combination of both for all I know.

Yes,delusional children are now running our country. First they allow so-called "Party Crashers" to get to the President. Today it has been reported that his TSA just released secret information on Airport Screening procedures to the public. Now this absurd "Cash for Caulkers" fiasco. Yikes! Unfortunately the children have taken over our nation at this point. Not much adult supervision going on in this White House. Maybe in 2010 & 2012 the adults will take this country back. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Yes,delusional children are now running our country. First they allow so-called "Party Crashers" to get to the President. Today it has been reported that his TSA just released secret information on Airport Screening procedures to the public. Now this absurd "Cash for Caulkers" fiasco. Yikes! Unfortunately the children have taken over our nation at this point. Not much adult supervision going on in this White House. Maybe in 2010 & 2012 the adults will take this country back. I guess we'll see.

:eusa_whistle:

Waaah

I lalready have a very well insulated home as well.
But still support this as a good effort and one which will create some jobs while it goes on.

it won't "create" jobs

And the taxes that will be used to pay for it could be put to better use if we were allowed to keep it in our pockets.

Forum List

Back