Case Has Sparked Increase in Living Wills

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Case Has Increased Interest in Living Wills
By Vickie Chachere, Associated Press
March 21, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. -- Terri Schiavo didn't have a living will. But because of her, thousands of other Americans won't make that mistake.

Attorneys and organizations that promote living wills and advance directives say the bitter legal battle over the severely brain-damaged woman has led many people to put their end-of-life wishes in writing.

At attorney Christopher Likens' office in Sarasota, clients invariably bring up Terri Schiavo as they put their affairs in order.

"Almost universally, it's 'That poor girl. I don't ever want that to happen to me,' " Likens said. "People are much more informed about the issue."

Most American adults -- estimates are as high as 75 percent -- do not have written directives for their families to follow.

Schiavo did not, and her fate has been debated in court for years as she lies in her hospice bed. Her feeding tube was removed Friday, but Congress worked through the weekend on a compromise to reinsert it, as has been done twice before.

"I think everyone can agree this is not the way the decision should be made," said Paul Malley, president of Aging with Dignity, a Tallahassee-based agency that created the living will known as "Five Wishes."

Orders for the will have been pouring in as the Schiavo case again grabs headlines worldwide. The group is sending out more than 2,000 living wills a day, with many people requesting multiple copies to distribute to family members.

Aging with Dignity estimates requests for its advanced directives are up tenfold because of the Schiavo case. In October 2003, when the case became an international sensation, on some days orders for living wills were pouring in at a rate of 200 an hour. The group has distributed 1 million copies of its living will since then.

"We get requests saying, 'We have seen what happened in the Schiavo case and above all, we don't want to see that same tragedy repeat itself in our family,' " Malley said.

Terri Schiavo was just 26 when her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance believed to have been brought on by an eating disorder, leaving her severely brain-damaged for the past 15 years.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/230816-2905-010.html

Adam's Apple said:
Case Has Increased Interest in Living Wills
By Vickie Chachere, Associated Press
March 21, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. -- Terri Schiavo didn't have a living will. But because of her, thousands of other Americans won't make that mistake.

Attorneys and organizations that promote living wills and advance directives say the bitter legal battle over the severely brain-damaged woman has led many people to put their end-of-life wishes in writing.

At attorney Christopher Likens' office in Sarasota, clients invariably bring up Terri Schiavo as they put their affairs in order.

"Almost universally, it's 'That poor girl. I don't ever want that to happen to me,' " Likens said. "People are much more informed about the issue."

Most American adults -- estimates are as high as 75 percent -- do not have written directives for their families to follow.

Schiavo did not, and her fate has been debated in court for years as she lies in her hospice bed. Her feeding tube was removed Friday, but Congress worked through the weekend on a compromise to reinsert it, as has been done twice before.

"I think everyone can agree this is not the way the decision should be made," said Paul Malley, president of Aging with Dignity, a Tallahassee-based agency that created the living will known as "Five Wishes."

Orders for the will have been pouring in as the Schiavo case again grabs headlines worldwide. The group is sending out more than 2,000 living wills a day, with many people requesting multiple copies to distribute to family members.

Aging with Dignity estimates requests for its advanced directives are up tenfold because of the Schiavo case. In October 2003, when the case became an international sensation, on some days orders for living wills were pouring in at a rate of 200 an hour. The group has distributed 1 million copies of its living will since then.

"We get requests saying, 'We have seen what happened in the Schiavo case and above all, we don't want to see that same tragedy repeat itself in our family,' " Malley said.

Terri Schiavo was just 26 when her heart stopped because of a chemical imbalance believed to have been brought on by an eating disorder, leaving her severely brain-damaged for the past 15 years.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/230816-2905-010.html

No surprise to me that lawyers are the ones getting rich over this disputebut I'm glad more people are taking resposibilty instead of making others jump through theses hoops.

it will never cease to amaze me how the republicans took spousal responsibility and sent it down with the titanic. remember this when you have to decide something for your spouse and you end up before the supreme court because their mother/sister/friend didn't believe you.

SmarterThanYou said:
it will never cease to amaze me how the republicans took spousal responsibility and sent it down with the titanic. remember this when you have to decide something for your spouse and you end up before the supreme court because their mother/sister/friend didn't believe you.

like the dems took away maternal responsibility and allowed mothers to fill babies?

dilloduck said:
like the dems took away maternal responsibility and allowed mothers to fill babies?
so instead of restoring what was taken, they'll just take more? does that make fricking sense to you?

SmarterThanYou said:
so instead of restoring what was taken, they'll just take more? does that make fricking sense to you?

Sure---politcal pushing back and forth with no real interest in representing the people but LOTS of interest in staying in power. It's the way it works in the USA.

dilloduck said:
Sure---politcal pushing back and forth with no real interest in representing the people but LOTS of interest in staying in power. It's the way it works in the USA.
and thats why you don't care about tax increases in texas, right? because its not about the party line, its about party power. you're a political hack now?

SmarterThanYou said:
and thats why you don't care about tax increases in texas, right? because its not about the party line, its about party power. you're a political hack now?

Both parties do this ALL THE TIME to further their own influnce--you seem to be comfortable by condemning only one of them!

dilloduck said:
Both parties do this ALL THE TIME to further their own influnce--you seem to be comfortable by condemning only one of them!
you seem to forget that I slam democrats as much as I do republicans.

SmarterThanYou said:
you seem to forget that I slam democrats as much as I do republicans.

There is an eternal conflict as to states rights vs federal power. THAT is the issue that needs to be clarified. If state courts can let Terri be left to die , why can't states make laws against abortion ? The deeper issue is taking a back seat to emotion---on both sides !

dilloduck said:
There is an eternal conflict as to states rights vs federal power. THAT is the issue that needs to be clarified. If state courts can let Terri be left to die , why can't states make laws against abortion ? The deeper issue is taking a back seat to emotion---on both sides !
with the argument you just laid out you're telling me that you approve of roe v wade.

SmarterThanYou said:
with the argument you just laid out you're telling me that you approve of roe v wade.

not at all---- any case they may by even default expose the federal govts. abuse of power is a good thing. If they supreme court rules that states have the power to decide this case and the logical next step would be to overturn Roe V Wade for the very same reason!

It certainly has sparked an upswing in living wills, I know that I am one that made just such a will. I don't want my family fighting over what they think that I want, it will be clear when and if that time comes so that others will not demonize my wife or my extended family with their assumptions of selfishness and greed.

no1tovote4 said:
It certainly has sparked an upswing in living wills, I know that I am one that made just such a will. I don't want my family fighting over what they think that I want, it will be clear when and if that time comes so that others will not demonize my wife or my extended family with their assumptions of selfishness and greed.
you do realize that a living will is still not a mandate and can be challenged by family members?

SmarterThanYou said:
you do realize that a living will is still not a mandate and can be challenged by family members?

Of course it can, but at least all people will know what my wishes actually are. However you can appoint a trustee, along with your living will, if the family contests such an arrangement they rarely win. If you wish your actual wishes to be considered rather than guesswork and pronouncements after the situation has been realized you must create a firewall, one that cannot be crossed easily by well-intentioned family members whichever side they may be on.

Forum List

Back