Carter running for Senate?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_el_se/carter_senate

Looks like President Carter's son is considering a Senate run....From what the article says i doubt the apple falls far from the tree. last thing we need is a Carter involved in politics again.

I think it'd be cool if Clinton's brother ran for office.

What was his name again? George?

george-clinton.jpg

I agree with you, Avatar4321, that we've already had one Carter in Washington and that was ONE TOO MANY! (Same opinion goes for the Clintons as well.)

Max Power said:
I think it'd be cool if Clinton's brother ran for office.

What was his name again? George?

george-clinton.jpg

LOL. George Clinton is a crackhead. You don't really think a cocaine abuser named George could ever get elected, do you?
:kiss2: :duh3:

I'd love to have Jimmy Carter in the senate. He was a lousy president, but he's been a fantastic ex-president. Not to mention the fact that he would almost certainly win that seat handily for the Democrats.

acludem

Let him run

He'll probably lose if the GOP candidate has the nads to call the old man on his disasterous presidency, the peices of which we are still picking up.

If the GOP candidate tries to "build a bridge" or congradulate him on his "fine service to the nation but I just disagree" or any of that claptrap, Carter will win. However, the whole country will see what a Castro-loving loon he and the Dems are, and he will be the most high-profile Dem out there. Almost as good as having a DUmmie in the Senate.

acludem said:
I'd love to have Jimmy Carter in the senate. He was a lousy president, but he's been a fantastic ex-president. Not to mention the fact that he would almost certainly win that seat handily for the Democrats.

acludem

He's been such a fantastic ex-president, it makes you wish there was a way for him to skip right past the presidency and go straight to the "ex" part.

acludem said:

acludem

Already had this discussion. He may well win 'worst president' historically. No question that he wins 'worst ex-president ever.'

BaronVonBigmeat said:
Nah. He sucked, but I'd save the "worst president" label for Woodrow Wilson or FDR.
Ah but they both had some postives while in office. Just can't find a one for Jimmah. Well his brother offered comic relief, but then there was Roger which made Billy less funny.

BaronVonBigmeat said:
Nah. He sucked, but I'd save the "worst president" label for Woodrow Wilson or FDR.

A pathetic simpleton idealist and the founder of the welfare mentality are pretty bad, but they just can't top the guy who brought a superpower to its knees, cringing in embarassment for--lets not mince words here--LOSING to a bunch of 7th century Iranians. The US was spit on and dragged through the mud and all he could do was apologize for being American in the first place.

The worst president in history was probably Ulysses S. Grant or Warren G. Harding, both of their administrations were rife with corruption and scandal. I rank James Buchanan high on the bad presidents list as well because he failed to do anything about the sectional conflict that eventually boiled over into the civil war. FDR and Wilson were great presidents who carried our nation through war and economic trouble. FDR was the greatest President of the 20th century bar none. If I had to pick my top five Presidents of the 20th century they would be 1. FDR 2. Wilson 3. Teddy Roosevelt 4. Truman 5. Reagan.

Also a little history, Carter couldn't get our hostages out because Khomeni wouldn't negotiate with him, he specifically waited until Reagan was elected to embarrass Carter because Carter had praised the Shah. Carter's main problem was that he didn't know how to deal with Washington politics and he didn't surround himself with people who did, like Clinton, Reagan and the Bushes did.

acludem

I ranked Carter above Wilson and FDR because he did relatively little harm. The department of energy was created, but that's fairly small. He's remembered for presiding over a miserable recession (really a depression if we want to be honest about it), but the stagflation of the 70's had more to do with Nixon's executive order to abandon what was left of the gold standard. For that reason alone, I'd say Nixon was worse too.

But let's compare that to what happened during Wilson's watch:
* Federal Income tax
* Federal Reserve was created, which would create artificially cheap credit, perpetual inflation (and eventually, the great depression)
* He deliberately got us into a foolish european war for no good reason, and made europe ripe for fascism and communism
* After the war, he could have used his political clout to get a fair peace for Germany. Instead, he used it to get his League of Nations (forerunner of the UN), and in return had to capitulate to Britain and France's desires for a vengeful peace
* Opposition newspapers were shut down, dissenters were jailed, and "hyphenates" were persecuted (irish and german americans)

And during FDR's time in office...the list is almost endless. He continued and expanded Hoover's big government programs and made the depression much worse, he confiscated gold and immediately inflated the currency 50%, he ignored the constitution and tried to pack the supreme court, and he was secretly working with Britain on a way to get us into war, two years before pearl harbor (see: operation Rainbow Five). That didn't work quite how it was intended, so a gasoline embargo against Japan plus parking our fleet at Pearl Harbor (after the Jap code had been broken) did the trick.

Forum List

Back