Carter put solar panels on the White House & Reagan took them off

Reagan didn't want solar panels that is correct but at that time there was no massive legislation calling for them either. Neither the United States nor any other country was seeing an energy crisis. The development and increase in automotives and use of oil errupted and that was what caused alternative fuels to become a hot topic and that was 20 years later.

Your reply is the kind of bullshit lie I expect from Republicans. Thanks for not letting me down.

Are you telling me Carter's energy crisis went away when Reagan got into office?

Are you suggesting we should stop looking into alternative energy now because gas is down to $2 a gallon?

Because Carter had an energy problem. Do you think that went away under Reagan? No fucking way. I even remember him reducing the speed limit to conserve energy.

The GOP will come up with every solution, like slow down when you drive, but they will never come up with a solution to replace gas, because they work for the oil companies.

Carter:

I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel... I have seen the strength of America in the inexhaustible resources of our people. In the days to come, let us renew that strength in the struggle for an energy-secure nation.[64]

Sealy

did you know during Bush's tenure they put solar panels back on the white house

still no comment from you on this you hack

But wait your friend just said its a failed technology?

Bush personally installed them huh?

It was very likely not his choice and if he was so interested in the technolgy why did he not announce it to the nation and FUND its research.

Your reply is the kind of bullshit lie I expect from Republicans. Thanks for not letting me down.

Are you telling me Carter's energy crisis went away when Reagan got into office?

Are you suggesting we should stop looking into alternative energy now because gas is down to $2 a gallon?

Because Carter had an energy problem. Do you think that went away under Reagan? No fucking way. I even remember him reducing the speed limit to conserve energy.

The GOP will come up with every solution, like slow down when you drive, but they will never come up with a solution to replace gas, because they work for the oil companies.

Carter:

I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel... I have seen the strength of America in the inexhaustible resources of our people. In the days to come, let us renew that strength in the struggle for an energy-secure nation.[64]

THERE WAS NO CRISIS! Energy secure nation meaning he didn't want to be dependent on foreign oil not that there wasn't enough in the world.

I bet Carter putting up those solar panels helped advance the solar panel technology, just as I'm sure Reagan's actions of tearing them off the White House helped to slow down its progress. Did Reagan invest federal dollars in alternative energy? Oh yea, I forgot, he was too busy shrinking government so he could drown it in a bathtub.

I remember seeing a documentary last summer on one of the major networks about alternative energy. The CEO of as Danish corporation was being interviewed about why solar energy use is more advanced and less expensive in Europe. He said his fledgling company got a huge break back when Reagan slashed all the funding for solar energy research that Carter had instituted. A US research company had gone bankrupt as a result of losing it's grants. The Danish company bought them out and brought their equipment and scientists to Denmark. Now the Danish company is booming and exports to the US. The Danish CEO was laughing saying Reagan did a huge favor to the European business community by sending solar energy research and manufacturing to them and screwing the US because now it's a multimillion dollar industry benefiting Europe instead of the US.

Andrew?

WTF do you think taking these panels off the house and defunding research did to the progress of the industry?

If we had listened to Carter we would have the industry much further down the line and we would be manufacturing and selling it to the entire world.

THe ONLY reason it was done by Ronny was to protect the oil industry.

You are making an assumption that by funding research, we would be much further ahead technologically than we are currently. The problem with your argument is that other countries did fund more research, and they still are where we are. The technology is going to take time more than money.

The problem with trying to fund everything is that it rarely works. Look at all the money we have put into cancer research. We still don't have a cure. In fact, we are no closer to a cure today than we were thirty years ago. Throwing money at everything and anything that is considered a problem, very rarely has any benefit other than to increase the budget and our taxes.

What country is the top technology producer?

It used to be us.

Stay on point or don't bother.

What country is/isn't was/wasn't isn't relevant to the argument. The claim was that since the technology wasn't pursued, it isn't viable today. So the question was: Are you really saying the GOP stopped worldwide research into solar and other alternative energy? Answer that or don't bother.

Andrew?

WTF do you think taking these panels off the house and defunding research did to the progress of the industry?

If we had listened to Carter we would have the industry much further down the line and we would be manufacturing and selling it to the entire world.

THe ONLY reason it was done by Ronny was to protect the oil industry.

Hey dimwit, with the amount of dollars the evil rich oil companies have, wouldn't they have dumped the money into research to take advantage of a free source of energy like the sun. If it is such a viable substitute, why wouldn't they want to be a major player in it? If there is so much money to be made why wouldn't the greedy oil men friends of the former President be jumping all over it? Oil is a royal pain in the ass and extraordinarily expensive to bring out of the earth, they would want to take over the solar industry too, easy money.

Carter was right about energy, folks.

Naturally, the partisans of the GOP have never forgiven him for that.

But wait your friend just said its a failed technology?

Bush personally installed them huh?

It was very likely not his choice and if he was so interested in the technolgy why did he not announce it to the nation and FUND its research.

I'll give him this one Truth. I believe Bush did put solar on the white house. His house in Crawford is very very green.

That doesn't excuse his environmental policies. Fuck his house. How about all the corporations you allow to pollute. How about the whales in the Pacific dying because of his navy sonar? How about the nukes they drop in the Pacific that will be radioactive for the next 1000 years?

One house isn't going to make up for all that.

I get the feeling Bush goes green personally just to look good. "See, I care about the environment."

Gives his defenders something to use when they argue with us.

In June, 1979, President Jimmy Carter proposed a "new solar strategy" to "move our Nation toward true energy security and abundant, readily available energy supplies." In an effort to set an example for the country, Carter had solar panels installed on the roof of the White House West Wing. The panels were used to heat water for the staff mess and other areas of the White House.

The White House solar panels were a symbol of the Carter Administration’s commitment to reduce America’s dependence of foreign sources of energy, according to Hakes, who was the Administrator of the Energy Information Administration at the U.S. Department of Energy during the Clinton presidency. "Behind that was a whole package of tax incentives, research and development and loans that made it much more than a symbol," Hakes added. "There was actually a very substantive attempt to move ahead the expanded use of solar energy."

President Ronald Reagan took the solar panels down in 1986 when the White House roof was being repaired.

wis.dm - Ronald Reagan removed the solar panels on the White House's roof installed by Jimmy Carter. Can you think of anything more stupid?

Why?

The Reagan Administration says it will not replace a solar water-heating system that was installed in the White House in the Carter Administration.

The panels of the system had been dismantled to fix the roof underneath. Dale A. Petroskey, a White House spokesman, said Friday, ''Putting them back up would be very unwise, based on cost.''

or

President Reagan took the solar hot water panels off the Whitehouse roof because he did not support the solar energy industry.

At the time Reagan said, “That’s enough of that!” when he ordered their removal. The act was symbolic. Between 1981 and 1986, the Reagan administration cut funding for renewable energy research and public renewable energy tax credits by 90%. His election campaign was strongly backed by the US oil and energy industry.

Reagan was cutting taxes. Something had to go. Sorry it was your pet project. You can be energy independent without solar.

Carter was right about energy, folks.

Naturally, the partisans of the GOP have never forgiven him for that.

What exactly was he right about? Energy is pretty broad. That would include the "Carter Doctrine" that makes protection of the Persian Gulf an American National interest. I'm not sure how many here would support that. Basically, he said "Our blood for their oil" unless you can think of another way to read the Carter Doctrine.

THERE WAS NO CRISIS! Energy secure nation meaning he didn't want to be dependent on foreign oil not that there wasn't enough in the world.

How many years worth of oil did Reagan think we had?

Let's face it, you are defending Reagan because he's a Republican, and you would defend a Republican even if that Republican murdered a room full of kittens.

He knew, just like Presidents before him knew, that we needed alternative energy.

Just like the GOP today knows we need alternative energy. Yet they veto/vote against every alternative energy idea that is ever brought up. And they never come up with alternative ideas. Or their ideas suck on purpose, and they know it.

You know what? I'm done arguing about this. Last year I heard a Democrat say they had a solution to all this, but they couldn't even introduce it on the floor without having the GOP filabust it or have Bush veto it.

So fuck it. That lady wanted to know why I am bringing up this Reagan/carter story? Its because soon the GOP will block progress on Alternative Energy. I just want to call them out on it before they even do it. That way it'll be obvious to people like you who normally swallow whatver they tell you. I think now you'll start to see what I mean.

And you can either keep defending them or join our side. Its nice over here. Our ideas work. And we are inclusive. Are you poor or rich? Doesn't matter, the Dems work for you.

At present solar energy is perhaps the vastly dominant source of energy we use. It just comes in a form we don't really contemplate, which is oil. The first step of oil formation is the photosynthesis of sunlight by extremely small plankton like plants millions of years ago.

These days, we need a quicker way to convert sunlight into energy. There is more than enough energy in a day's worth of sunlight to meet our energy needs for a year. The question is how to harness it in an efficient and cost effective manner. Currently, we are failing when it comes to both elements, but are making progress.

The solar panel has always been the prime component of the solar industry, but it has one major flaw. It is incredibly inefficient. It traditionally converts 6 to 10 percent of the energy hitting it in sunrays into usable energy. Recent trends have pushed this into the mid teens. The really exciting news is new technology could push this number into the 40 to 60 percent conversion rates. If this occurs, the viability of solar becomes much greater because a smaller amount of panel is needed to produce vastly more energy.
Another area where solar is making jumps is in new products. The solar panel has its limits, but few every thought beyond it. Now various companies are. The advent of solar dots is exciting a lot of people. Solar dots work by converting the energy in sunlight at a molecular level.

The dots are actually quantum nano dots. Yes, nano. They work by forming a crystalline structure of certain materials. When sunlight hits them, they release multiple electrons. These electrons, of course, form an electrical current that can be harnessed for use. Since the dots are on such a small scale, they could literally be imbedded in just about any structure exposed to the sun.

Solar dots are expected to be cheap and easy to make. The big, bulky solar panels will most likely become a thing of the past. With a high rate of efficiency and low cost, they will truly make solar power a viable energy platform for our needs.

So, when can we expect to see these dots on the market? It is unclear. No commercially viable product has been put together yet as there are hurdles to jump. The hurdles include how to capture the currents being created and how to deal with reliability and such. While the future is certainly bright, pun intended, it will probably be a few years yet before we all become very fond of solar energy"

Yeah, he took them off because the tech in the 70's sucked dick...something I am sure you 2 are very fond of. The technology isn't even there today, until we hit 50-70% effiecency on these panels its a waste of money because they can't meet the demand of we require

Sunpower has at present a cell that is over 21% efficient. Had Reagan invested money into solar cell research, we might well have a very high efficiency solar cell at present. The University of Delaware is playing with manufacturing methods for a 40+% cell they have developed. We are far closer than many years for effective solar cell. Even the low efficiency ones, the present thin films, are now manufactured by a couple of companies for less than a dollar a watt. This would be reflected in the market at present, except for the fact that all the factrories that these companies have built, have sold their first two years production before the factories were even producing. Supply and demand. As the supply catches up with demand, these will become affordable.

Forum List

Back