Carter put solar panels on the White House & Reagan took them off

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
In June, 1979, President Jimmy Carter proposed a "new solar strategy" to "move our Nation toward true energy security and abundant, readily available energy supplies." In an effort to set an example for the country, Carter had solar panels installed on the roof of the White House West Wing. The panels were used to heat water for the staff mess and other areas of the White House.

The White House solar panels were a symbol of the Carter Administration’s commitment to reduce America’s dependence of foreign sources of energy, according to Hakes, who was the Administrator of the Energy Information Administration at the U.S. Department of Energy during the Clinton presidency. "Behind that was a whole package of tax incentives, research and development and loans that made it much more than a symbol," Hakes added. "There was actually a very substantive attempt to move ahead the expanded use of solar energy."

President Ronald Reagan took the solar panels down in 1986 when the White House roof was being repaired.

wis.dm - Ronald Reagan removed the solar panels on the White House's roof installed by Jimmy Carter. Can you think of anything more stupid?

Why?

The Reagan Administration says it will not replace a solar water-heating system that was installed in the White House in the Carter Administration.

The panels of the system had been dismantled to fix the roof underneath. Dale A. Petroskey, a White House spokesman, said Friday, ''Putting them back up would be very unwise, based on cost.''

or

President Reagan took the solar hot water panels off the Whitehouse roof because he did not support the solar energy industry.

At the time Reagan said, “That’s enough of that!” when he ordered their removal. The act was symbolic. Between 1981 and 1986, the Reagan administration cut funding for renewable energy research and public renewable energy tax credits by 90%. His election campaign was strongly backed by the US oil and energy industry.

I don't think the GOP really wants the US to become energy independent. The oil industry clearly owns the GOP. (Drill baby Drill).

The GOP are idiots.

That's why they got voted out of office.

Remember when the Republicans sent that email around showing how Green Bush's home was compared to Al Gore's energy guzzler? They made a HUGE deal over that.

I tried to explain to them that one green home does not make up for Bush's environmental policies.

It is corporate pollution that is causing the most damage. Big deal Bush's home is environmentally friendly when he allows corporations to wreck the entire planet.

snopes.com: A Tale of Two Houses

At present solar energy is perhaps the vastly dominant source of energy we use. It just comes in a form we don't really contemplate, which is oil. The first step of oil formation is the photosynthesis of sunlight by extremely small plankton like plants millions of years ago.

These days, we need a quicker way to convert sunlight into energy. There is more than enough energy in a day's worth of sunlight to meet our energy needs for a year. The question is how to harness it in an efficient and cost effective manner. Currently, we are failing when it comes to both elements, but are making progress.

The solar panel has always been the prime component of the solar industry, but it has one major flaw. It is incredibly inefficient. It traditionally converts 6 to 10 percent of the energy hitting it in sunrays into usable energy. Recent trends have pushed this into the mid teens. The really exciting news is new technology could push this number into the 40 to 60 percent conversion rates. If this occurs, the viability of solar becomes much greater because a smaller amount of panel is needed to produce vastly more energy.
Another area where solar is making jumps is in new products. The solar panel has its limits, but few every thought beyond it. Now various companies are. The advent of solar dots is exciting a lot of people. Solar dots work by converting the energy in sunlight at a molecular level.

The dots are actually quantum nano dots. Yes, nano. They work by forming a crystalline structure of certain materials. When sunlight hits them, they release multiple electrons. These electrons, of course, form an electrical current that can be harnessed for use. Since the dots are on such a small scale, they could literally be imbedded in just about any structure exposed to the sun.

Solar dots are expected to be cheap and easy to make. The big, bulky solar panels will most likely become a thing of the past. With a high rate of efficiency and low cost, they will truly make solar power a viable energy platform for our needs.

So, when can we expect to see these dots on the market? It is unclear. No commercially viable product has been put together yet as there are hurdles to jump. The hurdles include how to capture the currents being created and how to deal with reliability and such. While the future is certainly bright, pun intended, it will probably be a few years yet before we all become very fond of solar energy"

Yeah, he took them off because the tech in the 70's sucked dick...something I am sure you 2 are very fond of. The technology isn't even there today, until we hit 50-70% effiecency on these panels its a waste of money because they can't meet the demand of we require

Yeah, he took them off because the tech in the 70's sucked dick...something I am sure you 2 are very fond of. The technology isn't even there today, until we hit 50-70% effiecency on these panels its a waste of money because they can't meet the demand of we require

Boy Andrew, you really don't get it. You argue/defend the party that has blocked alternative energy because their oil buddies have paid them to do so. Wake the fuck up boy!

America will be much better off the day you realize you do not belong to the GOparty. They laugh at your broke ass. They work against you and you defend them.

No wonder they don't ever improve. Why should they? You accept every excuse they give.

I bet Carter putting up those solar panels helped advance the solar panel technology, just as I'm sure Reagan's actions of tearing them off the White House helped to slow down its progress. Did Reagan invest federal dollars in alternative energy? Oh yea, I forgot, he was too busy shrinking government so he could drown it in a bathtub.

Your solution is to give the oil companies tax breaks and hope they invest it in alternative energy. :cuckoo: As if they would look into hemp or water as fuel and ruin their industry. What a stupid cock sucker you have grown up to be Andrew. :lol:

wow, no response from sealy from the facts that were posted except for his normal

WAH WAH WAH GOP BIG OIL BUSH EVIL

Yeah.. nothing about the damage they caused from roof leaks etc... :rolleyes:

And again.. big fucking whoop.. it was a symbolic gesture by Carter... it was more of a 'feel good' thing than anything else

Do you have something to show that they were causing the roof to leak?

And by the way, when I was researching this, I did find something about roof leaks. That was SQUASHED as bullshit.

So try again Dave.

Symbolic? Yes it was symbolic Dick head. Just like Reagan tearing them down sent a message.

The reason Carter failed as President is because he was too left/liberal. You can't be a lefty liberal president. If you are, the GOP and Corporations will take you fucking down. That's why Clinton & Obama are smart to stay in the center.

Although I do believe Obama will not be a centrist like Clinton was. He will not deregulate the media so large corporations can buy up all the media. He will not allow NAFTA to fuck the American people up.

And I bet you that alternative energy makes huge leaps and gains under Obama, now that the GOP aren't around to stop progress.

How about the Kyoto treaty? My numbers are rough, but here was the gist. Kyota had a plan where companies could stop polluting so much and their plan was a 20 year plan. Bush didn't sign on. He came up with his own plan. His plan would take 40 years.

Now you can get on your knees close your eyes and unzip the GOP's pants and suck whatever comes out, but I'm certainly not willing to swallow anything they try to give me.

So which way are you going to take this dave? Are you going to go with "the dems are no better" :eusa_liar:argument or are you going to stick with defending the GOP as if they really have our best interests at heart. :cuckoo:

Andrew?

WTF do you think taking these panels off the house and defunding research did to the progress of the industry?

If we had listened to Carter we would have the industry much further down the line and we would be manufacturing and selling it to the entire world.

THe ONLY reason it was done by Ronny was to protect the oil industry.

Solar Panels at the White House « Cooler Planet

In 2003, solar photovoltaic panels were installed at the White House. Two smaller solar thermal systems were also installed to heat water: one for landscape maintenance personnel, the other for the presidential pool and spa.

OMG WHO WAS PRES IN 2003

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do you have something to show that they were causing the roof to leak?

And by the way, when I was researching this, I did find something about roof leaks. That was SQUASHED as bullshit.

So try again Dave.

Symbolic? Yes it was symbolic Dick head. Just like Reagan tearing them down sent a message.

The reason Carter failed as President is because he was too left/liberal. You can't be a lefty liberal president. If you are, the GOP and Corporations will take you fucking down. That's why Clinton & Obama are smart to stay in the center.

Although I do believe Obama will not be a centrist like Clinton was. He will not deregulate the media so large corporations can buy up all the media. He will not allow NAFTA to fuck the American people up.

And I bet you that alternative energy makes huge leaps and gains under Obama, now that the GOP aren't around to stop progress.

How about the Kyoto treaty? My numbers are rough, but here was the gist. Kyota had a plan where companies could stop polluting so much and their plan was a 20 year plan. Bush didn't sign on. He came up with his own plan. His plan would take 40 years.

Now you can get on your knees close your eyes and unzip the GOP's pants and suck whatever comes out, but I'm certainly not willing to swallow anything they try to give me.

So which way are you going to take this dave? Are you going to go with "the dems are no better" :eusa_liar:argument or are you going to stick with defending the GOP as if they really have our best interests at heart. :cuckoo:

It was the explanation given... and NATURALLY, the leftists and enviro-nazis would put it off as "bullshit"... typical move

let alone, as stated, the reliability and efficiency of SP's back then was more of a joke than anything else

And whether any prez puts solar panels or fucking bee hives on the white house, is of no consequence as to how research goes on those things.. if there is profit to be made and a viability, it will be researched and advanced REGARDLESS

But you certainly suck swallow and smile about anything the left-wing gives you.... you're one of the most blinded and partisan hacks on this board... apologetically

Kyoto was a joke... a way to try and slow down the US and benefit others... a fucking joke

wow, no response from sealy from the facts that were posted except for his normal

WAH WAH WAH GOP BIG OIL BUSH EVIL

You basically said that Reagan cock blocked solar energy because the technology wasn't good enough for him. What a fucking joke. You'll swallow anything. I'm going to become a GOP so you can suck my dick idiot.

With that thinking, we would have never went into outer space because in the beginning, we weren't yet able to land on the moon.

Baby steps stupid.

Or, go with what Reagan did, tear down those solar panels and don't invest in alternative energy because the oil companies are so far up his ass it gave him alzheimer desease.

And you cock suckers brag that you've held the white house for a lot more years than we have, and that is true, so what have you done? NOTHING. Gas went up to $4 a gallon and still you did NOTHING. Drill baby drill would not have solved the problem, stupid.

Who Killed the Electric Car
who killed the electric car

The Inventor of the Car That Runs on Water Has Been Killed!

Convert your car to run on water as fuel The inventor of the water fueled car has been killed, is it an unrelated death, or is a plot the oil companies made in order to prevent a better and cheaper replacement for gas to be developed?

But I'm sure you think it is just coincidence, because the GOP and the Robber Baron's are not greedy or evil or ruthless.

I'm just baffled as to why you defend them. What do you think you have in common with the Robber Baron's you fucking retard?

Why is something that happened nearly 30 years ago an issue now?

Because it was the same shit they have done for thity years and we would SURE like to have the same shit stop happening every time the Rs vote someone in.

Never forget the past or you are doomed to repete the same mistakes.

actually, who killed the electric car woul dbe your shitty auto companies you so love to defend. GM admits they had electic car tech in the 70's and refused to act on it...the GOP didn't tell them to not produce it...It was their decision an dmaybe a stupid decision and maybe why we are bailing thier shitty ass out...persoanlly let them drown I say, hopefully they take you with them

Omg bush let them put in solar panels again

i cant beleive it he is evil nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Forum List

Back