Carter,Clinton, Obama more of the same!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
This country spends more on health care than any other nation--$160 billion this year, almost nine percent of our Gross National Product. We have the finest medical facilities and highly skilled, dedicated health professionals. Yet many of our people still lack adequate medical care, and the cost of care is rising so rapidly it jeopardizes our health goals and our other important social objectives.

I am transmitting to the Congress two major pieces of legislation to improve our health care system: The Hospital Cost Containment Act of 1977 to hold
Jimmy Carter: Health Care Legislation Message to the Congress.

The Clinton health plan required each US citizen and permanent resident alien to become enrolled in a qualified health plan and forbade their disenrollment until covered by another plan. It listed minimum coverages and maximum annual out-of-pocket expenses for each plan. It proposed the establishment of corporate "regional alliances" of health providers to be subject to a fee-for-service schedule. People below a certain set income level were to pay nothing. The act listed funding to be sent to the states for the administration of this plan, beginning at $13.5 billion in 1993 and reaching $38.3 billion in 2003
Clinton health care plan of 1993 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Making sure every American has access to high quality health care is one of the most important challenges of our time. The number of uninsured Americans is growing, premiums are skyrocketing, and more people are being denied coverage every day. A moral imperative by any measure, a better system is also essential to rebuilding our economy -- we want to make health insurance work for people and businesses, not just insurance and drug companies.
The SolutionReform the health care system:
We will take steps to reform our system by expanding coverage, improving quality, lowering costs, honoring patient choice and holding insurance companies accountable.

Promote scientific and technological advancements:
We are committed to putting responsible science and technological innovation ahead of ideology when it comes to medical research. We believe in the enormous capacity of American ingenuity to find cures for diseases that continue to extinguish too many lives and cause too much suffering every year.

Improve preventative care:
In order to keep our people healthy and provide more efficient treatment we need to promote smart preventative care, like cancer screenings and better nutrition, and make critical investments in electronic health records, technology that can reduce errors while ensuring privacy and saving lives.

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Health Care

I thought it worth seeing every democrats healthcare proposal that has been in office over the past 30 or so years. I frankly am not surprised that the social engineering through healthcare has come up as it's not something new for the democrats. It would be nice to see however, this social engineering cease and someone actually address the real issues that cause healthcare costs to rise rather than attempting to fix the system through congressional editcs.

I thought it worth seeing every democrats healthcare proposal that has been in office over the past 30 or so years. I frankly am not surprised that the social engineering through healthcare has come up as it's not something new for the democrats. It would be nice to see however, this social engineering cease and someone actually address the real issues that cause healthcare costs to rise rather than attempting to fix the system through congressional editcs.

Well said. Tip of the hat for such a wise and truthful statement.

What I found really interesting especially on the Clinton proposal were the parallels on the "mandate" issue and the very idea that one can somehow drive down cost through Govt. mandates. It does sound very familier , not only with the healthcare legislation but with the cap and trade bill as well.

even with Clinton's health care legislations his percentage of government spending in most cases was lower than reagan's. Also lower than Bush Seniors and with George W doubling it pretty much.
Yes, Clinton had the good fortune of having much more power over fiscal matters than any other President before or since. Gramm-Rudman, line-item veto and a paygo with real teeth. All of those, taken away from him and all future Presidents, by the courts late in Clinton's last term.

Unfortunate but true.

I give Clinton credit for obeying the law, and the law was, you have to have a balanced budget.

Last edited:
here is another article showing the similarities between the reagan and clinton years.
Whose Economy Was Best?

Geez I think I have heard Obama say the same thing Clinton did about cleaning out the government.

here is another article showing the similarities between the reagan and clinton years.
Whose Economy Was Best?

Geez I think I have heard Obama say the same thing Clinton did about cleaning out the government.
Do you read articles before you post them? This one says,
Democrats can continue "the-Clinton-economy-was-best" ploy only if the Republicans and the news media let them get away with the factual misrepresentation.
Which argument are you on?

This thread is actually about the similarities between the three President's health care plans, not the economy.

Luissa , don't get me wrong here, this thread is not one to call into question the Clinton years, in fact of all the recent presidents at least Clinton was smart enough to recognize that you pay down the deficit and control spending in order to promote a strong economy. Thats something I give Clinton a whole lot of credit for. As for the healthcare issue, the purpose of this thread was to show that the democrat line on healthcare has not changed much over the last 30 years and to show that this is basically a social engineering project rather than one that would really address the issue of cost controls that would actually bring down the costs of healthcare and make it more affordable for everyone.

Clinton was smart enough to recognize that you pay down the deficit and control spending in order to promote a strong economy. Thats something I give Clinton a whole lot of credit for.
That wasn't one of his core principles. It's one that was forced on him, by law. He might have learned something from that experience however. I give him credit for obeying the law.

Luissa , don't get me wrong here, this thread is not one to call into question the Clinton years, in fact of all the recent presidents at least Clinton was smart enough to recognize that you pay down the deficit and control spending in order to promote a strong economy. Thats something I give Clinton a whole lot of credit for. As for the healthcare issue, the purpose of this thread was to show that the democrat line on healthcare has not changed much over the last 30 years and to show that this is basically a social engineering project rather than one that would really address the issue of cost controls that would actually bring down the costs of healthcare and make it more affordable for everyone.
my problem is Carter who had a fractured democrat majority who couldn't get many of his bills passed and with CLinton having a Republican majority for part of his term neither one of their plans were fully put in place. So you have no idea if they would have lowered the cost of health care.
And did you ever think we have pay the most out in health care because of our higher incidents of certain health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. And don't worry those numbers are going to go up now that the baby boomers are heading into retirement. Alzheimer's and demensia are just two examples that will increase spending by a large amount. Maybe Bush shouldn have allowed government funds for embryonic stem cell research so we would be closer to finding a cure.

Maybe Bush shouldn have allowed government funds for embryonic stem cell research so we would be closer to finding a cure.
Far greater advances happened in the field of stem cell research largely because of the ban on federal funds. Because necessity is the mother of invention, today embryonic stem cell research has been rendered obsolete.

That's why, despite Obama's XO, there hasn't yet been a DIME of taxpayer monies spent on it. That's right, NO federal funds have gone toward this obsolete method. And they shouldn't, they should go to the more advanced methods of getting stem cells which have been developed.

They can make stem cells out of any cell now, even skin cells. And they never would have made that discovery if they hadn't been forced to TRY it.

Last edited:
my problem is Carter who had a fractured democrat majority who couldn't get many of his bills passed and with CLinton having a Republican majority for part of his term neither one of their plans were fully put in place. So you have no idea if they would have lowered the cost of health care.
And did you ever think we have pay the most out in health care because of our higher incidents of certain health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. And don't worry those numbers are going to go up now that the baby boomers are heading into retirement. Alzheimer's and demensia are just two examples that will increase spending by a large amount. Maybe Bush shouldn have allowed government funds for embryonic stem cell research so we would be closer to finding a cure.

I do have an idea Luissa based on the results from nations that have passed such legislation. It's resulted in high unemployment , long waits, and every larger percentages of GDP's of those nations paying for healthcare. I could not agree more that lifestyles have a direct impact on healthcare costs and the quality of healthcare. That is one of the main reasons why I find the arguments comming from the democrats on this issue when it comes to quality here laughable. It is another reason why I have always advocated that congress need address the real causes of healthcare costs and not some mandated program that covers everyone in the hopes that it cures all. It's rather like giving someone chemo for a warts. You need to to lance the warts and not kill the person while trying to take them away. As for Bush and his Administration, let me put it too you this way. while of course the Bush Administration had it's issues and in its last 2 years a democratic congress to help. I believe that stem cell research can be used as a device to cure many diseases , however I for one do not want to see promotion of abortions as a means to promote that research because in my mind it sends a signal to people that we are prepared to dehumanize ourselves for our own welfare.

About Health Care:

Theodore Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was the first U.S. president to call for universal health care and national health insurance.[5][6]

So we been trying to get reform for over ONE HUNDRED YEARS. Gee, think maybe that big business has prevented that? I mean, $1 billion over the last ten years is no small change, but it is to the drug lobby to keep their profit margins.

Teddy was also one of the best Presidents ever I think personally.

Last edited:
So we been trying to get reform for over ONE HUNDRED YEARS. Gee, think maybe that big business has prevented that?
Right now, the only thing preventing it is Democrats. The GOP is completely powerless. This would have been a done deal already had the bill been made palatable to the entire Democrat delegation.

Right now, the only thing preventing it is Democrats. The GOP is completely powerless.

:rolleyes: Don't fail to mention the blue dog Democrats or anything. I admit, the Republican Party is a sideshow in this case, and it's the fault of the Democrats not getting their shit together. However, the Republicans have been involved every step of the way trying to get this bill watered down. At this point, I highly doubt passing this bill will do much, just like everything passed through congress. "Compromise" is code for keeping the status quo the same.

Personally? I say fuck both parties. There's only a few out of both parties I'd vote for higher office anyway.

Forum List

Back