Cartel - The Movie - What's wrong with public education

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Apr 24, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It is always the problem with anything that is taxpayer funded... corruption is easy. Personally, I think the public school system needs an overall because we are failing some really important people... the next generation.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    The avg. teacher salary is $55K - yet in many districts the classroom costs exceed $300K. I know the NJEA is not happy, but from the trailer, it does not look like they are "bashing teachers". They expose all the corruptocrats.

I am not "pro union" however they do serve an important role for good teachers. Yesterday 9 of my non-tenured friends and colleagues were let go. From antecdotal evidence, it seems they were the ones with high standards and enforced the rules. That does not jive with the status quo.

I'm seeing the movie tomorrow.

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Cool. I hope you'll feed back on it.

Of course, unions are not all bad. They serve an important function, but some are far too powerful and do not serve their members. It's like any other organization of it's type. It starts off as a good idea, but the money and power brings too much corruption - just like government!!

I am pro teachers - good teachers. Teaching, to me, is a calling, not a job or even a profession. Really good teachers can have a huge impact on a child. I know.... I am a writer because of my English teacher. He was inspirational and taught me a lot. He encouraged me, and I tend to suffer from 'imposter syndrome'. :lol: So, for me, he played a huge role in my life.

But this spending has got to stop. It is ridiculous to be spending $300k+ on one class of kids and getting worse results! That is laughable. If it was a business, someone would be fired. I think we need to treat the public sector the same way business does. Either you do it right or we fire you and get someone who will.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    we're 'failing' because 70% of this country is telling their kids that there is no such thing as evolution.

6. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    70%?

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Jillian Wrote:
    Yawn. Do you honestly think that more parents are teaching their children that NOW, then there were back when American education was working? Give me a break.

Trust me, Jillian, I'm working my ass off in an inner-city school. These kids aren't failing because their parents aren't teaching them about evolution. They're failing (in part) because their parents aren't teaching them anything except how to be a victim.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Tenure and the system is top heavy with grossly overpaid bureaucrats and educrats...The money to pay them doesn't just come out of Lucky Leprechaun's pot o' gold.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Is that right? That's the sole reason for children failing in school?

I hope, reading that back, you realize just how completely ridiculous that claim is, mo chara.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    My understanding is that Chanel is proposing protection for teachers who blow the whistle on corruption. I think that is a good idea. It is the corruption that is killing public schools, not tenure as such. Tenure does need to be considered, in that bad teachers should not get tenure.