CDZ Carson has $31K dining set in his office, paid for by taxpayers

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Political Junky, Feb 28, 2018.

1. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,149
    Where are the equivalents though from past admins. Right now it looks like a gaggle of wealthy people who see a golden goose in the taxpayers.

2. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,688
    More Deviant Desperation on display, 24/7, here. lol

3. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    You know, for all the griping about Carson's damn table, chairs and hutch, one'd think the NYT would include a photo of them or the room so folks would have some perspective on what was bought and replaced and what the room really is.

The "net net" of the story is that part of it strikes me as "so what, but maybe there's some 'there' there," and part of it strikes me as "there's clear law breaking there."

Update:
    From a news report of which I today saw only the tail end, it may well be that Carson did indeed buy what amounts to a dining table, chairs and hutch roughly comparable to those one might have in one's home. To the extent that is indeed what Carson (his staff) did do, I do have a problem with his spending $31K to do so.

I don't think $31K is an inordinate sum for one to spend to furnish their own "posh" living room. I do, however, think it's somewhat on the high side for a government official, particularly given that I know from my own experience that for $31K, one can obtain far more utility than just a friggin' table, chairs and hutch can provide.

If all one's going to get is a new dining table (rather than an important antique) more or less like one of these....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and matching/coordinating chairs and hutch, there is simply no reason Carson could not have found any number of suitable and reasonably "posh" dining sets.

The tables above are antiques and cost upwards of $10K each; however, if that's what Carson wanted, all he (his staff) needed to do is reach out to the GSA and select something from its extensive inventory of fine furniture.

As I said, the whole matter is yet another manifestation of Carson and his staff's novelty with government procurement. Reaching out to the GSA, rather than taking the matter into their own hands, is what they should have done in the first place. One of the GSA's key functions is to exploit the federal government's buying power/quantities, along with subject matter expertise, to minimize the sums paid to procure furniture, fixtures, supplies, etc. that government offices need.
    For all I know, HUD may have a program similar to State's "heritage assets" program whereby the Secretary can have installed into his/her office items from the department's collection of "nice stuff."​

4. sartre play

sartre play Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Those in charge have been picking our pockets for ever, what really upsets me is that Carson is unqualified for the post he holds, what he knows is medicine not management.

5. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,810
    Carson cancelled the order yesterday, saying he was as surprised as everyone else at the cost of the items he had chosen. Two staffers of his said that they were demoted for refusing to break the $5,000 budget cap on such furniture.
    Carson is lying, but at least he cancelled the dining set. The media's job as watchdog again wins.

BTW, You couldn't pay me $10,000 for table #3. The "legs" do nothing but get in the way of the chairs and it's butt ugly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    Off-topic:
    Some folks like Federal/Duncan Phyfe style casegoods and some don't.

I guess I don't have much of a strong feeling one way or the other about most Renaissance to 19th century furniture and interior design themes. I was raised in a house loaded with that sort of styling, so the "dead kings and queens" (aka "period") styles and motifs just strike me as "meh" in the way styles that are immensely familiar often enough can. My siblings and I will inherit that stuff from Momma and if any of them are especially desirous of any given piece(s), they can have it, but by the same token, I won't reject any of them because the styling can be made to work with things I have or given to my kids as starter pieces for their homes.

And let's be honest. Anyone who spends $10K+ on a dining table does so for two reasons: they can and they like the look. After all, having that sum to spend on a table, one isn't faced with a paucity of styles one might choose. LOL

So while, unlike you, one most certainly could either pay me $10K for table #3 or pay me that $10K to own it. Though it's not my preferred style, I don't detest it so much that I couldn't be paid to happily own and use it.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

7. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,736
    Why are democrats acting like Ben Carson bought furniture for himself on the taxpayer's dime? You do know that it's not his furniture? I mean you aren't that stupidly dense. This furniture might last successive Secretaries 20 years or more.

In any case, the order was cancelled.

8. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,188
    No, he never lived in the projects in the inner city with his single Mom when he was growing up and never managed a large organization such as a hospital department.

What are your qualifications?