Cars

Shattered said:
It's becoming a common occurence.. There's nothing Arch hasn't tried. There's nothing Arch doesn't know. There's nothing Arch doesn't have firsthand, correct knowledge on. The rest of the world is are just a bunch of ill-informed imbeciles. He is the man.

We also don't speak from our hearts, which always trumps anything that comes from our brains...we suck.

The ClayTaurus said:
We also don't speak from our hearts, which always trumps anything that comes from our brains...we suck.

Ah yes.. How could I forget the "heart" speech...

no1tovote4 said:
I live near the Rockies and often travel in them. However, who doesn't want to speed on occassion?

I advised him that they were quite expensive and if he were into racing or lived in a high altitude area... and could afford it... but not for saving money!
I answered you because you just made a simple comment!
I will refrain from responding to a couple of others in this thread for obvious reasons...

Mr. P said:
Man! That P-51 is some airplane!!

sorry I just saw your post...didn't mean to leave ya hanging! Damn right P-51's(Mustangs) rock...they do quite well in the Reno Air Races...ever fly one?
Oh yeah and those damned outdated "Super-chargers"( pioneered on P-51's)they are really dinosaurs aren't they? Kinda like us! :thup:

archangel said:
sorry I just saw your post...didn't mean to leave ya hanging! Damn right P-51's(Mustangs) rock...they do quite well in the Reno Air Races...ever fly one?
Oh yeah and those damned outdated "Super-chargers"( pioneered on P-51's)they are really dinosaurs aren't they? Kinda like us! :thup:

Are you ever wrong about anything?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
The ClayTaurus said:
Are you ever wrong about anything?

I was addressing a comment on P-51's to Mr.P...what has this to do with my comment to Mr.P...and yes I am wrong on some things...not Racing,Mechanics,Law..I stay away from computer tech and music as I am not interested or qualified!

archangel said:
I advised him that they were quite expensive and if he were into racing or lived in a high altitude area... and could afford it... but not for saving money!
I answered you because you just made a simple comment!
I will refrain from responding to a couple of others in this thread for obvious reasons...

My statement was largely in agreement with your comment. Modern day fuel injection will change the mixture for altitude without the need for a Supercharger. It has made me wonder and to look up more information on Superchargers to see if they could have a side effect of increasing fuel efficiency though.

It appears that the engine would use as much fuel but have more power because more of the fuel is burned thus giving the effect of having a larger valves without incresing the size of the engine. This means that you would have more power, but not save money by its use....

no1tovote4 said:
My statement was largely in agreement with your comment. Modern day fuel injection will change the mixture for altitude without the need for a Supercharger. It has made me wonder and to look up more information on Superchargers to see if they could have a side effect of increasing fuel efficiency though.

and thank you!

archangel said:
ya sure love to misquote...missed your calling...you should be on CNN!

Except i didn't quote anyone. (shrug).

The statement I created would have been appreciated, however, as it would have been most-accurate.

archangel said:
.... :thup:
No, I've never flown one, but I'd love to!

On investigation it appears that the engine would use the same amount fuel but have more power because more of the fuel is burned thus giving the effect of having a larger valves without incresing the size of the engine. This means that you would have more power thus a higher energy efficiency, but not save fuel by its use....

archangel said:
I was addressing a comment on P-51's to Mr.P...what has this to do with my comment to Mr.P...and yes I am wrong on some things...not Racing,Mechanics,Law..I stay away from computer tech and music as I am not interested or qualified!

So, there are certain aspects in which you are never wrong? Like racing, mechanics, and law? You're never wrong on those?

no1tovote4 said:
On investigation it appears that the engine would use the same amount fuel but have more power because more of the fuel is burned thus giving the effect of having a larger valves without incresing the size of the engine. This means that you would have more power thus a higher energy efficiency, but not save fuel by its use....

thank you...thats what I was saying...until rudely interrupted by the youngn's..
kudos!

archangel said:
thank you...thats what I was saying...until rudely interrupted by the youngn's..
kudos!

Where did you say that? I sure didn't see it. Are you making hidden posts? That might explain some things...

The ClayTaurus said:
So, there are certain aspects in which you are never wrong? Like racing, mechanics, and law? You're never wrong on those?

only when discussing these issues with children like you!...Now get back to work designing ships and armaments for the contractor and save us a few tax bucks...paying you to attack in USMB on company time!

archangel said:
only when discussing these issues with children like you!...Now get back to work designing ships and armaments for the contractor and save us a few tax bucks...paying you to attack in USMB on company time!
Sorry pops, you don't get to tell me what to do. My boss assigns me work and a deadline, and so long as I meet or beat that deadline, everything is Kosher. Cute way to avoid answering the question, however.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
no1tovote4 said:

That's not the case in practice, however. Because a supercharger (or any forced induction method, to include N2O) adds oxygen to the engine's intake supply, additional fuel must be added as well. This can be done, and MOST off-the-shelf superchargers use this method, by increasing the fuel injector's fuel pressure. The injectors open and close at the same rates they would normally operate at, but due to increased pressure behind the little 'valve' within each injector, MORE fuel is injected into the intake manifold (usually - there are very few direct-injection engines where fuel is sent DIRECTLY into the combustion chamber).

When an engine gets too much oxygen, and not enough fuel, it's considered to be running 'lean'. Lean is GOOD for making power, but lean conditions can create VERY high temperatures which can lead to the air/fuel detonation BEFORE it reaches the combustion chamber - this can produce VIOLENT stresses upon engine components (If an exploding force is trying to push a piston DOWN when the crank is moving the piston UP, for example).

Thus - added fuel, via increased fuel pressure effectively cools things down at the cost of a power which would otherwise be there. A good supercharger system contains the components for effectively protecting the engine AND increasing engine power.

Why I said a supercharger 'could' improve economy I was meaning one can use a little less RPM to get the power they otherwise would have had to rev the engine higher to get.

As an example, if I need my car to get to 100lbs-ft of torque (for whatever reason) without a supercharger, I'd have to rev my car's engine to, say, 4000 rpms. WITH a supercharger, I may only have to rev the engine to, say, 2000 rpms to make that same 100lbs-ft. I'm of the opinion RPMs, NOT throttle position are the key to achieving good economy with a given engine.

[edit]
side note - I hope I'm not insulting you, D. I made my post w/o knowing how much you already know about Forced Induction. :(

Forum List

Back