Carrom (Eastern Billiards): ToyFest

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Carrom (also known as Karrom) is a "strike and pocket" table game of Eastern origin similar to billiards and table shuffleboard. It is found throughout the East under different names though most non-eastern people know it by the East Asian name of Carroms (or Karrom). It is very popular in Nepal, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and surrounding areas. In South Asia, many clubs and cafés hold regular tournaments. Carrom is very commonly played within families, including the children, and at other social functions. Different standards and rules exist in different areas (source of summary: Wikipedia).

Carrom is the East's version of table pool/billiards.

It involves people striking small cylindrical sliding game pieces on a powdered wooden board with corner pockets. The players use a larger cylindrical piece called a striker to hit the smaller game pieces with their fingers, attempting to create billiards-like strategies to put the pieces in the pockets. Games can include two individuals playing against each other on opposite sides of the board, or two teams of two players facing each other in rotation on opposite sides of the board.

These days, you can purchase fine quality carrom boards right on Amazon.com. I'm from the East originally, and I purchased one myself and enjoyed a summer BBQ event carrom game with my American neighbor in his spacious backyard. Carrom is a great pastime and laissez-faire stylish game, a miniaturized hand-skill version of billiards.

Modern mercantilism culture and globalized TV has introduced people to the idea that gaming can be cross-cultural. A New Yorker can relatively easily order a TV channel from India on digital cable which broadcasts games of cricket (a non-American version of baseball), for example.

Carrom is to table-top culture exchange what ethnic food trucks in Washington, D.C. are to culinary sampling.

The wood and powder and pieces of a carrom board reveal the craftsmanship investments involved in modern age game chatter. The liberal availability of carrom equipment on Amazon.com reveals mercantilism connections with culture music-making.

:afro:

Carrom - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

carrom2.jpg

Forum List

Back