Carpool/HOV Lanes: Vilolation of 14th Amendment

Uh-huh....Automotive Jim Crow is cool.

Glad we cleared that up.

:)

Well let's attack this from a different perspective. So long as ANYBODY regardless of race, creed, sociopolitical standing, etc. etc. etc. can use the carpool lane as long as s/he has one or more passengers, how does that violate the 14th amendment? Seems to me equal protection means that everybody is treated the same under the law. So the law restricts a lane to two or more people in a vehicle.

Same as laws that say you can't be married to more than one person or you can only have so many dogs or cats on your property or you can't have the big party booth if its just you and your date in the restaurant.

Same principle. Except the party booth, the restaurant is private property.

Treating any two groups differently whether it's on the basis of hair color or how many people in a car is a form of discrimination, but it's not unconstitutional if it passes the appropriate level of review. For all but the big ones (race, religion, etc.) that's rational basis. The law can be really stupid, but the 14th doesn't care about whether a policy is smart. It leaves that to the legislatures and hopes for the best. It only cares whether the discriminatory law is rationally related to acheiving a legitimate interest or policy objective.

Glad we cleared that up.

Well let's attack this from a different perspective. So long as ANYBODY regardless of race, creed, sociopolitical standing, etc. etc. etc. can use the carpool lane as long as s/he has one or more passengers, how does that violate the 14th amendment? Seems to me equal protection means that everybody is treated the same under the law. So the law restricts a lane to two or more people in a vehicle.

Same as laws that say you can't be married to more than one person or you can only have so many dogs or cats on your property or you can't have the big party booth if its just you and your date in the restaurant.
Irregardless of race, religion, social background, I still pay the same fuel and registration taxes.....The people on HOV lanes pay no more than do I.

Equal protection, baby.

Well heck. You know when you arrive at that precise point in the argument when you really can't defend your position? I think I'm there. (But don't hold me to that if I should come up with new inspiration.)

But I think you may have an irrefutable argument there.

Glad we cleared that up.

Treating any two groups differently whether it's on the basis of hair color or how many people in a car is a form of discrimination, but it's not unconstitutional if it passes the appropriate level of review. For all but the big ones (race, religion, etc.) that's rational basis. The law can be really stupid, but the 14th doesn't care about whether a policy is smart. It leaves that to the legislatures and hopes for the best. It only cares whether the discriminatory law is rationally related to acheiving a legitimate interest or policy objective.
Translation: As long as the courts let me slide. :doubt:

Translation: As long as the courts let me slide. :doubt:

Not sure what you mean by that. As long as you personally aren't sanctioned for breaking a dumb law? Or as long as the court lets the legislature get away with passing it?

It's as dumb as they come. It doesn't work, it's unevenly enforced or not at all and it probably costs more than it saves. Epic fail. (Still constitutional though.)

Nice to know there's always *some* kind of common ground. :lol:

Car pool lane? What is that?
We just have four lanes that back up on an equal basis, especially when morons don't know how to drive on the free way.

We just have four lanes that back up on an equal basis, especially when morons don't know how to drive on the free way.

i've heard about the car pool lane out there. and the lawbreakers who buy a dummy just so they can drive in it.
$1500 fine if you're caught?

i've heard about the car pool lane out there. and the lawbreakers who buy a dummy just so they can drive in it.
$1500 fine if you're caught?

They have car pool lanes on the westside/liberal side of the state. ;)
Here in Red Washington we don't have carpool lanes, we just don't let people buy regular dish soap.

And are express lanes unconstitutional? They are not for carpoolers only, but they discriminate against people who are not going in the direction everyone else is.

What about people on electric wheelchairs?
I have seen so many people cruising down the road in one blocking traffic.

Forum List

Back