Carpet Capital Confront Homelessness as Jobless Payments End

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Miguel Gines lost his job as a counselor for troubled children last year and has been surviving by using savings and unemployment benefits to pay for food and rent.

Now Gines, 58, who lives in Dalton, Georgia, is almost out of cash. His $133-a-week jobless benefits stopped in April, two months before Gines said he expected, and his savings are depleted. He may be homeless in July, after rent money he received from the Salvation Army charity runs out, he said.

“I was going along fine, looking for work,” Gines said. “The next thing you know, it was ‘That’s it.’ I was thinking, ‘Oh my God, what am I going to do.'” Gines said he still hasn’t figured out the answer.

Gines is among about 370,000 people in 23 states whose extended unemployment benefits abruptly expired from April 7 to May 12, according to estimates from the National Employment Law Project, an employee-advocacy organization based in New York. The group says the numbers will continue to increase as state unemployment rates dip below thresholds required for continued federal funding.

READ MORE Carpet Capital Confront Homelessness as Jobless Payments End - Bloomberg

MR RYAN WHAT DO U THINK SHOULD WE NOW THROW HIM UNDER THE BUS AND RUN HIM OVER, OR JUST LET HIM STARVE?

Forum List

Back