Careful Of That Big Virus On This Site...

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by paulitician, Dec 17, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Hate to be a Buzz-Kill but please be careful of the Big Virus that keeps popping up on this site. Make sure your Anti-Virus programs are up to date. Hopefully someone here will take care of this pretty soon. It's a very bad Virus. Ok,just thought it was right to give everyone here the heads up. Have fun but be careful. Have a great Saturday. See Ya. :)

2. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Not sure where this is popping up, I haven't had anything. Even looked through my shield history.

3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,756
    Yeah I think the "general" site had it last week. I think it was in a link to a post. By the time my firewall identified it it was in my computer. It took me the better part of a day to get rid of it. It pretended to be a security program and was infested with pop-ups that would not go away.

4. bitterlyclingin

bitterlyclingin Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Its on here. Thought I was the only one. Been here at least since before Thanksgiving. Forgot to back off the site, came back six or so hours later, there it was sitting plug ugly in the middle of the screen

5. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    I haven't had a problem, but I do know that the system restore works well when I have had a problem like this.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yea it acts as if it's a real Windows security program. It's pretty destructive. I got it off this site last night. And my security detected another threat here a couple of hours ago. So yea,just make sure your Anti-Virus program is up to date. Good luck.

7. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yea i had to get into safe-mode and do a system restore. It's the only way i could get it to restore. The Virus shuts down all programs. It wont allow you to open your programs. After the system restore it worked out good. It poses as a Windows security program. It's pretty rough. Anyway,thanks Meister.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  8. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yea run your full scans with your updated Anti-Virus program. It should catch it and remove it. But if you're not fully updated it may not get it. Then you'll probably have to go into safe-mode and do a system restore. Once you're restored you should be able to update your Anti-Virus program and get rid of it. It was a bit of a tussle but i got rid of it. But my security did detect another threat here a couple of hours ago. So it's still lurking around here somewhere. I hope they can fix this. This is a great site,hate to see a stupid Virus ruin it. Anyway,be careful and good luck.

9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    I think I might have encountered it yesterday.

I had several windows open when something froze. Not a normal freeze. There appeared to be a popup window in the background. I got a flash of it when I tried to close all the windows. I couldn't close anything though and I never got a chance to get to the popup to try to read the message.

I just turned off my computer with the switch in back, since that's the strategy I've used in the past when I got the fake security window.

When I restarted things seemed okay.

10. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Was it this one:

Remove "Privacy Protection" (Uninstall Guide)

"Privacy Protection"?

That seems to be a popular one that is going around. I got it a couple of weeks ago. If you follow the steps in that link, you'll be able to remove it pretty easily without having to do restore.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2