Carding Seniors for beer purchases?

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
Craziest shit I've ever heard of, but this is absolutely true.

I was carded at age 64 to buy some Pabst- which BTW, was ruled to be the most tremendous beer in the world at the 1893 Columbian Exposition (hence the blue ribbon).

When I was 17 in 1972, I was served without showing ID at licensed premises. Yet, as an old-timer, the world's gone nuts. Believe me, I don't look under 21 by any stretch of the imagination.

Why is Giant Eagle carding 70- and 80-year-olds?

I was carded at age 64 to buy some Pabst- which BTW, was ruled to be the most tremendous beer in the world at the 1893 Columbian Exposition (hence the blue ribbon).

When I was 17 in 1972, I was served without showing ID at licensed premises. Yet, as an old-timer, the world's gone nuts. Believe me, I don't look under 21 by any stretch of the imagination.

I was carded just last night and I'm 58, almost 59 years old. I look a bit younger than I am, but nowhere near 30-35 years younger. Oh well, I think some stores must have a policy where they require ID if you look under 65.

Not crazy at all. I am routinely carded (54) when I try to buy liquor in MA. Sometimes, they have to get a manager to ring my purchase because the person at the register isn't 21 yet. :). I used to crab about it all the time. Now I just smile sweetly, grin and bear it. They tell me it has everything to do with legalities and lawsuits. Meanwhile, I just mourn the death of common sense.

Not crazy at all. I am routinely carded (54) when I try to buy liquor in MA. Sometimes, they have to get a manager to ring my purchase because the person at the register isn't 21 yet. :). I used to crab about it all the time. Now I just smile sweetly, grin and bear it. They tell me it has everything to do with legalities and lawsuits. Meanwhile, I just mourn the death of common sense.

Its just sort of crazy as I never got carded at 17. Didn't need a fake ID, and never had one.Never gave serious thought to getting a fake ID. Just walked right in like I owned the place and told the man want I wanted.

I would suspect that form a legal standpoint it is much safer to simply have a policy that everyone is carded rather than relying on all employees to have enough common sense to know who is safe not to card.

Its just sort of crazy as I never got carded at 17. Didn't need a fake ID, and never had one.Never gave serious thought to getting a fake ID. Just walked right in like I owned the place and told the man want I wanted.

I did the same at 18 in Maine. Nobody carded me. Now that might have been because it was central Maine in the middle of nowhere and I was buying Busch beer. The store owner knew I didn't have a car (I walked everywhere).

Good Times. :)

When my mother was in her 50s she had my underage brother carry a case of beer to the counter for her, so they said they had to card my brother. They said my brother would have to bring the beer back to the cooler, and my mom would have to pick it up and carry it back to the counter to purchase it.

I get carded all the time, but it’s usually women who I think just want to know where I live so they can stalk me.

Yeah, it's asinine. Saw an old guy, must have been in his 80's get carded at an AM/PM when buying a 6-pack. Must be some idiotic law that has to be followed to the letter or license to sell gets pulled.

In most cases cash registers cannot ring up alcohol without a birth date from a valid source of ID, especially registers where scanning is the primary source of ringing up...in fact if you go into the "self purchase" registers where you are the one ringing up your order you will need to scan a valid ID for the machine to accept your purchase...the merchant is not carding you, the machine is.

I find it flattering when I get carded.

When my mother was in her 50s she had my underage brother carry a case of beer to the counter for her, so they said they had to card my brother. They said my brother would have to bring the beer back to the cooler, and my mom would have to pick it up and carry it back to the counter to purchase it.

This has happened to me before. We just left the booze on the counter and went somewhere else.

Beer and liqueur boards have gotten very strict. Programming has been put in by store owners and cameras on employees to make sure they don't sell to underage and risk the store's beer license. If caught on camera not complying with store policy, it is cheaper to fire than take a chance trusting they always use good judgment at most convenience stores. Part time labor is cheap and plentiful.

I find it flattering when I get carded.
Amen to this. I blow people away when they learn how old I am. They tell me that I look like I am still in my early 20s if not younger than that.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (age 37)

Pretty much just another example of ignoramus bureaucrats justifying their existence.
For many years, the requirement was to card anyone who looks 25 or under.
Maybe 10 years ago or so that was raised to 40. WTF? Really?
Today retailers across the nation started policies of carding everyone to remove any chance of liability.
Thankfully, here in Indiana, most retailers have rescinded the policy and went back to making sense. It has been at least a year since I have been carded now.

Forum List

Back