Cardinal's plea: Don't read 'Da Vinci Code'

JOKER96BRAVO

Aug 13, 2004
VATICAN CITY - The cardinal leading the Vatican’s charge against The Da
Vinci Code urged Catholics on Wednesday to shun it like rotten food and
branded the bestseller “a sack full of lies” insulting the Christian faith.
The Story Here....

JOKER96BRAVO said:
The Story Here....

Somebody needs to tell him what the word "fiction" means.

This is like the time when Star Wars first hit the theaters, the church that my mother took us to had us all go to a class to learn that the force wasn't real. (I am not kidding).

I just read this article not 10 minutes ago lol.

It amazes me....if its so moronically obvious (meaning the fictitious content of the book) then why do they even worry.

I read The Code. Not a terribly easy read - not a terribly interesting read either, IMHO. What I got out of it is simply someone who is Smarter Than Me (and that is NOT DK :poke: ). Smarter than me meaning they wrote something that has really sold well AND has the entire country, neigh, the entire world seemingly up in arms over it.

That's something to think about. You just know that the author is sitting like John Astor somewhere giggling his ass off. Well deservedly, too.

This work claims to be "historical fiction." The assumption is that at least some of the historical portrayals are accurate. It is very misleading to those who are unfamiliar with Christianity and Catholicism, and, in the way it skews the life of the Holy Lord, very offensive to all Christians.

http://www.pfm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=BreakPoint1&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=12427

http://www.pfm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=BreakPoint1&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=12548

http://www.pfm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=BreakPoint1&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=11415

Whether or not it's accurate, fiction has a great influence on culture. This work has a decidedly anti-Christian influence.

Fiction is a dangerous thing when ignorant people are exposed to it. But that is not the responsibility of the author. Witness the national panic started by Orson Wells' radio broadcast of a fictional Martian invasion. People armed themselves and were out manning barricades. This despite the fact that frequent disclaimers were run throughout the program that this was a fictional tale.

The author should thank the good Cardinal for the publicity. No doubt there will be a surge in sales of the book since the Catholic church has now denounced it.

One thing that I found particularly inappropriate was the Cardinal's whining about bigotry against Catholics.
“There’s a great anti-Catholic prejudice,” Bertone said. “I ask myself if a similar book was written, full of lies about Buddha, Mohammed, or, even, for example, if a novel came out which manipulated all the history of the Holocaust or of the Shoah, what would have happened?”

Admittedly there is some anti Catholic bias. But I believe that most of the increase in bias over the last six to seven years is directed not at Catholics themselves but at the Church as an institution. That bias can be directly attributed to the Church's continued treatment of women as second class citizens and mostly to its extensive coverup of the reprehensible activities of its pedophile priests.

Perhaps if Bertone directed more of the energy he wastes whining about a work of fiction toward cleaning up the conduct of church officials, there might be a decrease in anti-Catholic bias.

Personally, this brings to mind Salman Rushdi and the book "Satanic Verses". Muslim idiots put a price on his head for this "blasphemy". Is the Catholic church now into condemning authors for works which the church finds offensive? Seems to me that the church has enough problems already without emulating the conduct of rabid muslim clerics.

Merlin1047 said:
Personally, this brings to mind Salman Rushdi and the book "Satanic Verses". Muslim idiots put a price on his head for this "blasphemy". Is the Catholic church now into condemning authors for works which the church finds offensive? Seems to me that the church has enough problems already without emulating the conduct of rabid muslim clerics.

And THAT book wasn't all that great, if I recall corrrectly. I bought that book specifically because of the controversy and death threats surrounding Rushdi. I think I was about 17, and very disappointed with the book - to say the least.

The Da Vinci Code is fictional "Hog Wash"!........................................................................................and I'm not even Catholic. :D

Now as far as saying, "don't read it"(that's the way cults keep their followers in check), I think that's absurd. Let your parishioners think for themselves. Christian's have a higher authority.....biblically, and it's not the Pope......biblically. It's the Lord. Scripture clearly is the last authority for a Christian......."Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word(scripture) of God".

If a person checks it out, and concludes that it's worthless, then they will never have lingering doubts. Just telling people to not read it, causes lingering doubts, unless of course the Pope is speaking with the authority of God............Last time I looked, he was just a man......catches colds, Flu........etc.........

JOKER96BRAVO said:
The Story Here....

Next thing ya know they be issuing a catholic "fatwah" on the author just like some muslim clerics did to Salman Rushdie after he published "<i><b>The Satanic Verses</b></i>".

Bullypulpit said:
Next thing ya know they be issuing a catholic "fatwah" on the author just like some muslim clerics did to Salman Rushdie after he published "<i><b>The Satanic Verses</b></i>".

I really doubt that, and I think you do to.

Fatwahs are for a chosen group :baby: still living in the dark ages.

no1tovote4 said:
Somebody needs to tell him what the word "fiction" means.

This is like the time when Star Wars first hit the theaters, the church that my mother took us to had us all go to a class to learn that the force wasn't real. (I am not kidding).

Interestingly enough, reality may just be settling in:

http://www.nhinsider.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=167880&creatorId=29754

The Da Vinci Crock

The Portsmouth Herald reports that New Hampshire native Dan Brown is # 12 on Forbes Magazine’s Most Powerful Celebrities list. Brown is the author of the uber-bestseller The Da Vinci Code.

But what you may not know is that Dan Brown may have plagiarized parts of The Da Vinci Code from a novelist named Lewis Perdue and that Random House, the publisher of The Da Vinci Code, is involved in a legal battle with so many twists and possible cover-ups it puts the plot of that famous novel to shame.

At the heart of the legal battle are historical errors in The Da Vinci Code (the book is riddled with them) that could only have been purloined from Perdue’s novels Daughter of God and The Da Vinci Legacy. The fact that they are indeed errors appears to give the game away.

You know, i usually defend the catholic church, but this cardinal really makes them look stupid. How did a man with so little faith end up a cardinal? You seriously cant have alot of faith if a book of fiction, a book that specifically claims to be fiction, is a threat to you.

The alleged "Da Vinci Code" reminds me a lot of what a similarly ignorant group tried to present about "backward masking" in music a while back. Just a bunch of idiots trying to make something out of nothing.

Fiction is a dangerous thing when ignorant people are exposed to it.

I think about this when I read many of Merlin's posts. :eek:

Too late! Crap, if I were Catholic I guess I would be damned to Hell by now!

:smoke:

(Doesn't all this hullaballoo actually lend credibility to a story of fiction?)

no1tovote4 said:
(Doesn't all this hullaballoo actually lend credibility to a story of fiction?)

Only if denying lies automatically makes them true. IS this the case?

New Topics

Forum List

Back