Caramelized Onions

Dang, all I have are bermuda. But thankies, syrenn.

Your welcome honey. Hey you can still use your red onions they just will have a slight pink tint to them instead of the clasic brown.

Give them a try and you will love them!

:)

Last edited:
Ok, this is how you do it. :)

Put butter and just a little olive oil in skillet, let it get really hot. As long as you add some kind of oil to butter it won't burn.

Cook as fast as you want just stay with the pan an when they get light brown take the skillet off the hot burner and let the caramelizing continue.

put the sliced onions in a heavy iron bottom pot, cover, and cook on low heat for about a half hour, stir occasionally. add butter and oil (3:1) and increase heat to medium/medium-high. stir frequently. after about 10 minutes add tsp salt and quarter teaspoon sugar and continue to cook for another 45 mins or so. the trick is stirring them enough so they don't burn but not so much that they don't brown.

2313951928_d2dd409c50_b.jpg

looks good!!! making my mouth water just lookin at them!!!

the higher sugar content the more carmelization will take place. So Walla Walla sweets or any sweet onion will carmelize easily.

I use a little bit of oil or butter, lots of salt to draw out the moisture, and cook on medium high heat (I have never cooked onions for an hour).

I've heard people say they put a little sugar in the pan with onions that aren't so sweet; it will increase carmelization.

Forum List

Back