car sunroofs--why?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
convertibles I can understand
.....but a sunroof??you can't/don't look up while your driving....if you're stopped, do you like to look at the sky? and if you do, there's not much of a view....they are so small and you have to crane your neck backwards! and up to see
new-2018-maruti-suzuki-swift-with-sunroof-images-3.jpg

S218948373_g.jpg

Had one on a car once, was already part of vehicle package. Added more light to the interior and was nice for adding a breeze into the car without getting a howling wind from the side windows.
Used it about 3 months a year when it was actually warm enough.
Wouldn't bother with one if I custom ordered a car though. Climate here too cold.
I would never get a convertible as the climate here just destroys canvas tops.

Go to a drive in sit back watch a movie and look up and see the stars.

It’s just an extra window to let the fresh air in

Go to a drive in sit back watch a movie and look up and see the stars.

how many drive ins are still around?
we have one about an hour's drive away ..in the early 70s, we had many

.....but a sunroof??you can't/don't look up while your driving....if you're stopped, do you like to look at the sky? and if you do, there's not much of a view....they are so small and you have to crane your neck backwards! and up to see
new-2018-maruti-suzuki-swift-with-sunroof-images-3.jpg

S218948373_g.jpg

Solar powered drivers.

Jo

is
Had one on a car once, was already part of vehicle package. Added more light to the interior and was nice for adding a breeze into the car without getting a howling wind from the side windows.
Used it about 3 months a year when it was actually warm enough.
Wouldn't bother with one if I custom ordered a car though. Climate here too cold.
I would never get a convertible as the climate here just destroys canvas tops.
......yes, we get a ''rumble'' if only one window is down --very annoying--so it's either all down or all up

I'd never buy a car that had a sunroof. They cost a fortune to fix when they break and are prone to leaking.

My neighbor's luxury car had a sunroof and during a heavy thunderstorm it leaked really bad and basically flooded the car and got water under the dash. It costs thousands to repair, and if it hadn't been a fairly new vehicle the insurance company would have declared it totaled. ... :cool:

Outside air mostly stinks in rush hour. Farm smells, dust, fertilizer? Why would you want that fresh air? I am sensitive to chemical smells like Roundup.

Cabin filter helps some when AC or Heater on......which is almost always?

Don't hardly ever open any windows. Certainly no noisy sunroof needed right above head. I have had at lest two legit sunroofs, never used. First car i bought was an old VW bug with a hole cut in roof. Bad in the rain. Poor mans sunroof.

As a side note....I remember as a kid being driven past the Purina plant. Lord have mercy.....un-beleivable! Windows down, no AC. I think it finally got forced out of city limits or cleaned it up? Thank God for the DEM EPA!

Outside air mostly stinks in rush hour. Farm smells, dust, fertilizer? Why would you want that fresh air? I am sensitive to chemical smells like Roundup.

Cabin filter helps some when AC or Heater on......which is almost always?

Don't hardly ever open any windows. Certainly no noisy sunroof needed right above head. I have had at lest two legit sunroofs, never used. First car i bought was an old VW bug with a hole cut in roof. Bad in the rain. Poor mans sunroof.

As a side note....I remember as a kid being driven past the Purina plant. Lord have mercy.....un-beleivable! Windows down, no AC. I think it finally got forced out of city limits or cleaned it up? Thank God for the DEM EPA!
....a lot of places, it is usually too hot or too cold for much of the year for windows down

I have one, came with the car. I rarely use it but I don't mind it. I've never bought a convertible. Best uses I've found for it are:
  1. Cracking it open, it draws the smoke out nicely if you are smoking a cigarette.
  2. Cools the car off more quickly in the summer when you get into a hot car.
  3. On a cool day, opening the panel to let the sun in helps make the parked car warmer when you get back to it from trapped IR heat.
  4. Lets you park the car in summer heat and tilted open, a way to vent heat from building up keeping the car a lot cooler than a cracked window without giving thieves a way to easily gain access.
Bottom line: I have never ordered one, but they are kinda cool and I like having it more than not.

A sunroof is a nice thing to have as a way of adding a little airflow. Windows - in case yinz haven't noticed - are NOT MADE to be open during normal driving. They never provide normal air flow in the car, and often cause irritating turbulence. The A/C and heater provide all the temperature control that the Mfgr thinks you need. Sunroofs also brighten the interior a bit on overcast days when it would otherwise be dark as a tomb.

Back windows on pickup trucks serve a similar function; i wouldn't own a P/U without one.

All sunroofs leak, but it's not what you think. All cars have drains for the leakage and it's only when those drains are clogged that water comes into the car. Fifteen minutes of cleaning by hand and with a shop vac will solve virtually any sunroof leak. Body shops like getting these leak complaints because they can charge a hundred bucks for a ten minute cleaning.

My VW wagon is the first car i've had in YEARS that didn't have a sunroof, and i miss it dearly.

Forum List

Back