car problem

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
2010 car with old type key system......my key doesn't turn and the headlights don't work
of course I've tried jiggling the steering wheel/etc
this sounds more electrical/fuse than steering-key problem??
I'm getting it towed as I need inspections/oil change/etc anyways
thanks in advance

2010 car with old type key system......my key doesn't turn and the headlights don't work
thanks in advance
Does the key have a battery in it?

If the key won't turn, it sounds like you may have a problem with the tumblers in the ignition switch mechanism.

But, with the headlights not coming on, that sounds like a fuse or a possible electrical problem.

My suggestion? Take it to a mechanic you trust. Trying to diagnose mechanical problems on a messageboard is difficult in the best of times.

Sounds like you have two separate issues.

Spray some WD-40 into the key ignition slot and then try turning the key.

Also, if you have a spare key try using it. Sometimes key teeth just get worn out and can't turn the lock tumblers.

Most cars allow you to turn on the headlights without the key in the ignition. Could be the battery is dead. ..... :cool:

thanks in advance
Does the key have a battery in it?
negative--the towman hit it with a hammer..I saw that on the internet...I guess I should've done that

If the key won't turn, it sounds like you may have a problem with the tumblers in the ignition switch mechanism.

But, with the headlights not coming on, that sounds like a fuse or a possible electrical problem.

My suggestion? Take it to a mechanic you trust. Trying to diagnose mechanical problems on a messageboard is difficult in the best of times.
that's what the towman said also ..ty

Also, if you have a spare key try using it. Sometimes key teeth just get worn out and can't turn the lock tumblers.

Most cars allow you to turn on the headlights without the key in the ignition. Could be the battery is dead. ..... :cool:
...I tried the extra key.....we do drive it very short distances and I thought that also about the battery
...but I just got a new battery in January--but it's an old car so battery + alternator was on my mind ...thanks

to be more specific, he mentioned the tumblers

...I tried the extra key.....we do drive it very short distances and I thought that also about the battery
...but I just got a new battery in January--but it's an old car so battery + alternator was on my mind ...thanks

I think they were asking if the key itself has a battery in it. Some ignition systems have a key that generates a signal when it is put in the ignition, but if the battery in the key is dead, the signal isn't generated and the key won't turn. Kind of an anti theft device.

to be more specific, he mentioned the tumblers

Ignition switches aren't that expensive, so you might try getting a new ignition switch.

I think they were asking if the key itself has a battery in it. Some ignition systems have a key that generates a signal when it is put in the ignition, but if the battery in the key is dead, the signal isn't generated and the key won't turn. Kind of an anti theft device.
no battery in key..yes I looked up key ignitions --not too bad

Forum List

Back