Car problem puzzler

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
Took the vehicle into the shop because it was dumping coolant on the ground at a disturbing rate. Diagnosis cracked head behind cylinder 8 against the firewall. He wants to put a used engine in because labor charges would eat me up on a repair. Beginning est $3300 plus anything else he thinks needs replacing, hoses, etc, ....who knows. Check the oil , there is no contamination. Fixed a leaking radiator once with a dump in product so I head to the local Fleet Farm to see if there is something similar for this. Purchase a liquid copper throw it in run the beast for 20 minutes. No leak. Take it on the street today, No leak. Now I didnt think this was possible and wonder if it was just the gasket leaking though you wouldnt think the fluid loss would be as large as it was if that were the case. Pondering what to do next. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My take from 80s' knowledge.....
Keep driving. Watch the Oil in the dipstick or when drained. If it turns Milky you need head gasket. Maybe head(s ) rebuilt. If you overheat it, it is toast anyways. Unsure if main block/pistons get damage from Oil Antifreeze mix? All metal but seals?

Difficult to advise what is best w/o mileage, condition, value etc. Rebuilt motor 2K? 1K labor? That may be todays rate?

If there was no water/anti-freeze in the oil. (no tiny water bubbles on the oil dip stick). You don't have a bad head gasket.

Ditch that mechanic. Keep driving it.

What year / make / model? .... :cool:

If there was no water/anti-freeze in the oil. (no tiny water bubbles on the oil dip stick). You don't have a bad head gasket.

Ditch that mechanic. Keep driving it.

What year / make / model? .... :cool:
2001 Ford Crown Vic supercruiser 135,000

New dealer in town needs used cars offering 2 grand for anything in any condition

You sure it's not just a rusted freeze plug?
Was dry
All of them? Find a picture of that motor on the internet so you can see where all the plugs are. Rent a radiator pressure pump from Oreilley, and find out exactly where the leak is. You may end up doing what the mechanic suggested, but for that kind of money, it doesn't hurt to be sure.

2001 Ford Crown Vic supercruiser 135,000
That's about a $2,000 car.

I'd drive it till the wheels fell off or the engine gave up the ghost.

For the pice of a rebuilt engine installed, you could buy a pretty good used car .... :cool:
had dinner last with a couple from the wifes circle of friends....he was on the dump it quick before it fails opinion. Would never sell it to private party like that....

Was dry
All of them? Find a picture of that motor on the internet so you can see where all the plugs are. Rent a radiator pressure pump from Oreilley, and find out exactly where the leak is. You may end up doing what the mechanic suggested, but for that kind of money, it doesn't hurt to be sure.
Pretty much decided he was off base on this one. Figured if the cheap fix didnt work I'd drive it thru next winter and just keep dumping water in. Funny part is its running better than it has in awhile.

Was dry
Pretty much decided he was off base on this one. Figured if the cheap fix didnt work I'd drive it thru next winter and just keep dumping water in. Funny part is its running better than it has in awhile.

Been there, done that. Good luck.

If you like to drive inexpensive older used luxury cars. I highly recommend the Buick Le Saber 1995 to 2005

They have the bullet proof 3800 engine. Which was built to go the distance. 250,000+ miles isn't uncommon. .... :cool:

If you like to drive inexpensive older used luxury cars. I highly recommend the Buick Le Saber 1995 to 2005

They have the bullet proof 3800 engine. Which was built to go the distance. 250,000+ miles isn't uncommon. .... :cool:
In fact daughter and I just found that out when we purchased her 2000 Park AVE with 170,000. Immaculate full leather interior, quiet....had to due some minor repairs that werent noticeable on quick test drive and under the hood inspection......whole lot more car than I had as a kid. Went to look at a different car that had just sold and ended up with this....May in fact search out another

In fact daughter and I just found that out when we purchased her 2000 Park AVE with 170,000. Immaculate full leather interior, quiet....had to due some minor repairs that werent noticeable on quick test drive and under the hood inspection......whole lot more car than I had as a kid. Went to look at a different car that had just sold and ended up with this....May in fact search out another

I love older cars, but mine is just a weekend toy. I couldn't afford to drive it every day, but it's great to remove the top on a sunny weekend.

Older Buicks are a hidden gem.

Bought my daughter a really nice 1999 Le Saber about three years ago. Only had 50,000 one owner miles. Taught her to keep a logbook and change the oil as scheduled. Should last many years.

I see them on Craigslist quite a bit. Older owners who have taken care of the them and don't drive much. ..... :cool:

Bought my daughter a really nice 1999 Le Saber about three years ago. Only had 50,000 one owner miles. Taught her to keep a logbook and change the oil as scheduled. Should last many years.

I see them on Craigslist quite a bit. Older owners who have taken care of the them and don't drive much. ..... :cool:

My car is a bit older than that. Older cars are great, but they have old parts. Rubber bushings are going to crumble. Small plastic pieces are going to break. Seals are going to leak. For me, part of the fun of keeping up an older car is piddling with it as a hobby. I would never try to depend on mine as an every day driver.

My car is a bit older than that. Older cars are great, but they have old parts. Rubber bushings are going to crumble. Small plastic pieces are going to break. Seals are going to leak. For me, part of the fun of keeping up an older car is piddling with it as a hobby. I would never try to depend on mine as an every day driver.
Cars....2 hobbies in one....
f138.jpg

Yup. Park Avenues, also. A lot of the Buicks hold up well. Or mid-2000 Volvo V70 or S90. Both drive as luxury cars.

Cars....2 hobbies in one....
f138.jpg
Oh my lord.

Forum List

Back